The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics Unit 2 (PHYA2) June 9th 2016 Resit paper

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by mbh16
no i put both negative gradients because it was a velocity graph wasn't it?

me too, just a straight line going from initial velocity through the first point marked on x-axis, didnt look right though?
Original post by philo-jitsu
Anyone care to hazard a guess at full ums.....not that it matters...but really needed it

I think there have been harder questions....But except for the waves section there were literally no easy questions, so time became a huge factor which is what will have lead people to lose easy marks....like myself!!!.... god im pissed off..I think I am just gonna presume every single paper from AQA is gonna be the worst paper ever, Biol2 resit was also dreadful

I was gonna do an MS but the last three questions are just a blur...too pissed off...

Have we come to a consensus about what the elastic potential was, I have heard various answers..

I found energy loss from friction as 0.18 then added to 2.2j

I got 0.18 by using stored energy equation but looking back it may have just been Fs=Work done so 0.36 instead of 0.18j

Last year I believe it was 58ums. I doubt it'd be that low this year seeing as it was only A2 students who sat it (and less people). Alot of the first few questions, mechanics students in maths would habe understood and got correct so that pushes it up (I didn't do M1 or M2 last year but am this year which definitely helped).

So I'd say around 64/5 maybe?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
I did curved ones for that velocity graph fs. Didn't realise you were supposed to ignore air resistance. Sneaky ****er. Should still pick a mark up

Original post by CALI1198
Last year I believe it was 58ums. I doubt it'd be that low this year seeing as it was only A2 students who sat it (and less people). Alot of the first few questions, mechanics students in maths would habe understood and got correct so that pushes it up (I didn't do M1 or M2 last year but am this year which definitely helped).

So I'd say around 64/5 maybe?

Maybe you haven't had a read through the thread, 65 for full UMS? No way.
Also I'm not an A2 student and I resat it, to try and get a B.
(edited 7 years ago)
yes and yes
Reply 545
Original post by Dan1997
me too, just a straight line going from initial velocity through the first point marked on x-axis, didnt look right though?

yeah ur right it wasn't an exact straight line, oh well hopefully we will get at least one mark for the first bit of the graph
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 546
Original post by GeorgeWhite2
yeah fffs :':wink:

haha i know, tbh though i find CHEM2 easier than PHYA2
Original post by WhoDaresWins

June 14 was 67 for full UMS.

Maybe 65 was pushing it, but I feel itd be over 62.

Don't forget the ones who think they did well (or the ones that did brilliantly) won't comment in this thread.

Original post by WhoDaresWins

Yeah I think 65 is a bit high...I agree that its all A2 students, but youve got to consider all the super bright students arent resitting because they aced it last year, then youve got all the A2 people who barely revise because its 'just a resit', and some people are resitting for like a C rather than top marks, I think they could be low.

AT least based off this thread there aren't many people who didn't find it difficult.
Yeah I think 65 is a bit high...I agree that its all A2 students, but youve got to consider all the super bright students arent resitting because they aced it last year, then youve got all the A2 people who barely revise because its 'just a resit', and some people are resitting for like a C rather than top marks, I think they could be low.

AT least based off this thread there aren't many people who didn't find it difficult.

Fair point.

For the ones who are doing A2, let's just prepare our ********s for Unit 4 😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊

June 14 was 67 for full UMS.

Maybe 65 was pushing it, but I feel itd be over 62.

Don't forget the ones who think they did well (or the ones that did brilliantly) won't comment in this thread.

The june 14 was one of the easiest papers though, last years which I did was 58 for 120ums, and I personally thought this was way harder.

I'm only guessing though so could be wrong
Reply 551
Original post by mbh16
yeah ur right it wasn't an exact straight line, oh well hopefully we will get at least one mark for the first bit of the graph

just dont get the reasoning behind exam boards twisting phrases like that to throw students off, simply missing the word magnitude in the question and i miss out on easy marks, if they werent trying to throw people off they would have used the word speed as opposed to "magnitude of velocity"
Fair point.

For the ones who are doing A2, let's just prepare our ********s for Unit 4 😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊

Couldnt agree more....I wish there were soloman physics papers like in maths to prepare us for it! :-)
I got 2.8 something for the speed. You had to find the acceleration using f=ma then use suvat. It seemed like an M1 and M2 paper with some physics thrown in there at the end. I thought it was a decent paper all in all.

Did anyone get a really small value for the energy stored?

yeah i think i got like 0.3 or something like that?
Reply 554
I got 2.8 something for the speed. You had to find the acceleration using f=ma then use suvat. It seemed like an M1 and M2 paper with some physics thrown in there at the end. I thought it was a decent paper all in all.

Did anyone get a really small value for the energy stored?
i got 0.18j but unsure
Original post by Dan1997
just dont get the reasoning behind exam boards twisting phrases like that to throw students off, simply missing the word magnitude in the question and i miss out on easy marks, if they werent trying to throw people off they would have used the word speed as opposed to "magnitude of velocity"

Yeah I missed the word resultant in the spacecraft decelleration question....wasted 15 mins on it because the answer just looked wrong.....who knew english would be my downfall in a physics exam!!!
The june 14 was one of the easiest papers though, last years which I did was 58 for 120ums, and I personally thought this was way harder.

I'm only guessing though so could be wrong

What I would say is just expect the worst case scenario. We've all got to put our effort into Unit 4 and 5 no matter what.

Personally I resat this paper so I could take some stress off u4&5. I worked out if I got 120ums on this, I could get very high B's on 4&5 and get an A. However I'm not gonna chance it and predict it was 58 for 120ums and become complacent.

Tl;dr: dw about boundaries, just make sure 4&5 don't flop

I drew that. In black is what was given.

I decided it'd go out as the angle of incidence looked to be less than the critical angle so I thought it wouldn't be able to total internally reflect?

i did this!! at first i did it TIR to the bottom right side then coming out there but then crossed it out and drew this instead... god knows which one is right to be honest
Original post by txnilxnur
yeah i think i got like 0.3 or something like that?

I think I did! By using 1/2kx^2, I worked out k using f=kx

Original post by Dan1997
i got 0.18j but unsure

I got that but it couldnt be because how would it be converted to 2.2j of kinetic energy in the brick....so i thought **** it and added 0.18 to 2.2.....logic :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending