The Student Room Group

Stanford rapist serving only 3 months

Scroll to see replies

Youtube comments always fcked up : ' She was unconsciousness , shouldn't have told her '

Although execution isn't going to work since prosecution can't be 100% certain.
Original post by Ordo
Very difficult to say this -

I think they need some form of punishment

Why should it be more lenient and not more harsh. If anything if someone makes false accusations and an innocent person goes to jail, they may be raped many more times than just one. What do you have to say for yourself?
Original post by Ordo
With enough hard evidence, witnesses and lie detector should able to help to distinguish the truth and lie.

Not true in so many cases, people on death row have been sentenced to death and been released because they were wrongly accused. Steven avery. The central park 5. The west memphis 3. James Bain. SO many examples of people (interestingly, mostly black people, people in poverty, and people of low intelligence) who have been wrongly accused and served many years in prison or on death row until they were proved innocent.
Reply 23
Original post by epage
Not true in so many cases, people on death row have been sentenced to death and been released because they were wrongly accused. Steven avery. The central park 5. The west memphis 3. James Bain. SO many examples of people (interestingly, mostly black people, people in poverty, and people of low intelligence) who have been wrongly accused and served many years in prison or on death row until they were proved innocent.

The system is really messed up :frown:
How can you prove that person is innocent?
Why do some people accused someone who have done nothing?
I already hate this world from day one :unimpressed:
Original post by Ordo
He should be sentenced to death

and for every rapists, murderers, pedophiles too

**I do not want victims to suffer through this and let them live around and then get release back to society.

Jesus Christ, get back to your GCSE revision.

If there is one thing you should know about a justice system, it is that the pitchfork mob are never the peoole whom you should listen to because hysteria has no place in a forward thinking and tolerant society.

Unlike you, I was a victim of child abuse for little over two years by a close family friend. Though he is now in prison, the only thing I want to come out of his sentence is to make sure that he doesn't go on to reoffend and impose harm on other people. Prisons like HMP Whatton have reoffending rates of just 6%, and given that prisons in Norway and Denmark have the lowest reoffending rates in the western world, as decent human beings who are better than the crime we should emphasise rehabilitation.

Given the unacceptable number of people who are wrongly executed in the US, and given the fact it is plain hypocrisy to combat violence with violence, the death penalty has no justification and your saying we should execute people for sex crimes is just immature, unbefitting and irrational. So as much as we like to focus on the offendent, let's focus on the victim, because that is whom we should really care about.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ordo
The system is really messed up :frown:
How can you prove that person is innocent?
Why do some people accused someone who have done nothing?
I already hate this world from day one :unimpressed:

In the case of steven avery, I know that he served 12 years in prison for a rape he did not commit, he was released because of improved DNA evidence. Then, two years after his release and after he had filed a lawsuit against the police for $36 million, he was arrested for murder, and was sentenced in 2007 for life. He remains in prison, innocent. (he was both of very low intelligence with an IQ of 70, and was from a deprived area)

In the case of the central park 5, Five juvenile males—four black and one of hispanic descent—were tried, variously, for assault, robbery, riot, rape, sexual abuse, and attempted murder. They were convicted of most charges by juries in two separate trials in 1990, and received sentences ranging from five to 15 years. Four of the convictions were appealed; they were affirmed by appellate courts. The defendants spent between six and 13 years in prison. I'm not entirely sure how and why they were proven innocent.

in the case of the west memphis 3, 3 teenage boys of very low intelligence were accused of the murder of 3 young boys. they were convicted in 1994, and were eventually released in 2011, after new forensic evidence was presented during an appeal filed in 2007.

James bain, a black man, served 35 years in prison after being convicted in 1974 of rape and kidnapping. He was released in 2009, and again new forensic evidence proved him innocent.

If you look at the innocence project, there are many individuals who have wrongly served time in prison.
Reply 26
https://www.buzzfeed.com/katiejmbaker/heres-the-powerful-letter-the-stanford-victim-read-to-her-ra?utm_term=.vea2zgJZG#.eg7Yykp67
This is a really interesting article about the victim's response to the light sentencing due to the 'harmful impact' a longer sentence could have on him. If anyone was interested it is a long but powerful read
Reply 27
Original post by Ordo
Yes I totally agree. I cannot believe how stupid his dad, he should be ashamed of his son. I bet on 100% his dad paid the judge to give him a light sentence.

*Its true - people paid judges and they got away with it. Injustice everywhere especially black people - I felt so sorry for them. They get longer sentences than white people.

Do you also feel sorry for men?
Reply 28
Original post by epage
True. But I was reading that he hasn't shown any remorse or shame for what he's done. There's no point giving him a longer sentence if he doesn't actually admit he's done anything wrong. If he doesn't admit, he can't reform. (although I 1000% believe his sentence was far too lenient. even six months was far too little but 3 months?! people who shoplift get more than 3 months probably.

They don't, this sort of sentence isn't really that uncommon from what I have seen, I went to a court as part of my assignment and someone who had touched a 13 year old girl didn't get jailed at all.

I also saw someone who had been caught shoplifting about 8 times they also didn't get jailed.
Suddenly TSR turns into a courtroom...
Original post by Jehaan
https://www.buzzfeed.com/katiejmbaker/heres-the-powerful-letter-the-stanford-victim-read-to-her-ra?utm_term=.vea2zgJZG#.eg7Yykp67
This is a really interesting article about the victim's response to the light sentencing due to the 'harmful impact' a longer sentence could have on him. If anyone was interested it is a long but powerful read

"BuzzFeed" ... "Powerful Read"...

:rolleyes:
Reply 31
Original post by jake4198
Jesus Christ, get back to your GCSE revision.

If there is one thing you should know about a justice system, it is that the pitchfork mob are never the peoole whom you should listen to because hysteria has no place in a forward thinking and tolerant society.

Unlike you, I was a victim of child abuse for little over two years by a close family friend. Though he is now in prison, the only thing I want to come out of his sentence is to make sure that he doesn't go on to reoffend and impose harm on other people. Prisons like HMP Whatton have reoffending rates of just 6%, and given that prisons in Norway and Denmark have the lowest reoffending rates in the western world, as decent human beings who are better than the crime we should emphasise rehabilitation.

Given the unacceptable number of people who are wrongly executed in the US, and given the fact it is plain hypocrisy to combat violence with violence, the death penalty has no justification and your saying we should execute people for sex crimes is just immature, unbefitting and irrational. So as much as we like to focus on the offendent, let's focus on the victim, because that is whom we should really care about.

Yeah lets focus on victims but it doesn't help at all - while we let criminals that got away with it, then victims has to suffered for no reason like you, a victim of sex abuse you move on and still remembered the past. Its like a scar in your life forever. No one lives is perfect, but each of us don’t deserve this. Then it may lower the chances of people being attacked and the criminal getting away with it. Also, there are very small chances of executing innocent people. No, it’s not a cruel and horrible punishment. It’s a necessity.Lets take a case in point. A child rapist, which murder his victims in TERRIBLE ways, killing around 4 children's, is captured. The Death Penalty wouldn't be applied and he would be sent to life prison, sentenced to 10 years or something. You're living your life in your home, paying taxes to keep this man alive, healthy, and well fed. He lives a good life in prison, because yeah, life Prison doesn't take off many of your standard inmates' rights. Anyway, after he been released, is he safe near your children or your family? What if he did it again, like another murder massacre? He's recaptured, and given a pardon again. The same scenario happens again. He's recaptured without the possibility of parole, sent to a superman prison. Not only you didn't punish that monster correctly, but you'd let him kill more innocent people. Alright now, this case happened quite a lot of times. Not in the same scheme, but it's already happened. You pay taxes so the murderers, terrorists and other monsters LIVE. And no, if you apply the death penalty to someone, it's not a murder. It’s a LEGAL homicide. Legal homicide isn't a crime. Plus, the death penalty is applied by the Justice, not by a man (The executer isn't the one deciding who he kills, he's not the one condemning people, justice is).
Reply 32
Original post by joecphillips
Do you also feel sorry for men?

I feel sorry for black people regardless of sexuality.
Original post by Ordo
Yeah lets focus on victims but it doesn't help at all - while we let criminals that got away with it, then victims has to suffered for no reason like you, a victim of sex abuse you move on and still remembered the past. Its like a scar in your life forever.

This is simply not true. As a victim of sexual assault, of course I am reminded of what happened to me in my past, but I have a great family and a lot of support which enables me to get on with my life without worrying so much about what has happened. The simple fact is, regardless of the punishment, people who are victims of terrible crimes will always have it at the back of their minds. That's not going to change. However, in our justice system, if we gave more of the attention to the victim of crime as oppose to the offender, this would be much more beneficial in regards to victims get on with their lives.

Original post by Ordo
Then it may lower the chances of people being attacked and the criminal getting away with it. Also, there are very small chances of executing innocent people. No, it’s not a cruel and horrible punishment. It’s a necessity.Lets take a case in point.

The problem with what you're saying is you're acknowledging that some people who are sentenced to death are innocent, yet you are willing to dismiss them as a 'very small' minority. Since 1976, over 1000 people have been wrongly executed by the US government. This is a shocking figure. As I said, it is plain hypocrisy to fight violence with violence, and there's a reason why the US is the murder capital of the western world.

Original post by Ordo
A child rapist, which murder his victims in TERRIBLE ways, killing around 4 children's, is captured. The Death Penalty wouldn't be applied and he would be sent to life prison, sentenced to 10 years or something. You're living your life in your home, paying taxes to keep this man alive, healthy, and well fed. He lives a good life in prison, because yeah, life Prison doesn't take off many of your standard inmates' rights. Anyway, after he been released, is he safe near your children or your family? What if he did it again, like another murder massacre? He's recaptured, and given a pardon again. The same scenario happens again. He's recaptured without the possibility of parole, sent to a superman prison. Not only you didn't punish that monster correctly, but you'd let him kill more innocent people. Alright now, this case happened quite a lot of times. Not in the same scheme, but it's already happened. You pay taxes so the murderers, terrorists and other monsters LIVE.

The fact that you've had to use the most heinous crimes in your argument is evidence that you are trying to make people form judgements based off their emotional instincts as oppose to a rational thought process. People commit terrible crimes, but as a decent society nothing is more important than being bigger than the crime. That is what makes us a progressive country. Treating even the worst people with humanity. After the killings of 77 people in Norway by neo-Nazi Breivik, you might have noticed than many of the victims were cheering at the sentence of just 21 years - as they saw it as justice. Norway has a different approach to its justice system, and when the American media asked one of the survivors on his thoughts on the sentence, he said "the best weapon against terrorism is humanity" - and I echo those words wholeheartedly.

In regards to the cost, the US pays more money to incarcerate prisoners than any other country in the world, yet they have the death penalty. The US is also the only country in the western world to execute people for murder, yet they have the highest murder rate in the western world. The US also imprisons its criminals for much longer than any other western countries, yet its recidivism rates are around 75% - which again is much higher than any other country in the western world.

Norway, on the other hand, has a maximum prison sentence for all crimes of 21 years, yet it has the lowest reoffending rates in the western world, and also one of the lowest crime rates. Just look at this article on Norwegian prisons:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/feb/25/norwegian-prison-inmates-treated-like-people

There is clear evidence that rehabilitation and restorative justice is more cost effective and rational over the long term than resorting to inhumane and barbaric capital punishment. The US has the most punitive justice system in the world, yet they do not set an example for us to follow.

If you want this country to associate itself with other countries which practice the death penalty, like Saudi Arabia and Iran, then I think you need to take a look in the mirror. Progressive justice, wherein you treat prisoners like humans, has proven time and time again to be effective. HMP Whatton, a dedicated sex offender prison, has reoffending rates of just 6% which is clear evidence that we can rehabilitate some of the country's worst offenders. You should also note that reoffending rates amongst sex offenders is also the lowest of any other crime group, thanks to strict monitoring and proper provision when inside prison.

If you still want to associate yourself with the hang em' and flog em' brigade, then you're clearly ignoring facts and subscribing to knee-jerk rhetoric. I think you're well-intentioned, but please look at the truth before advocating regressive policies from the history books.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Ordo
I feel sorry for black people regardless of sexuality.

I was asking as the gender gap in sentencing is larger than any race gap
Original post by The Roast

I chuckled.
Original post by epage
The stanford rapist is actually only serving three months of his six month sentence for the rape he committed. According to Brock Turners inmate details which are available to the public, he will be released on September the 2nd of this year.

https://mic.com/articles/145796/brock-turner-will-only-serve-3-months-of-his-6-month-sentence-for-sexual-assault#.ct2ZC2sXl

This is great news, because its a resounding message that all you need to circumvent the law is to be white, rich and young.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only in America could this happen. Good thing we have EU minimum sentencing that we have to adhere to. Seems like a much better system than America's varying state laws. Although it does remind me of that case in Nottingham I saw on TSR where an Asian paedophile was let off because he didn't know it was wrong.

And well done to the American media for cherry picking this case as if it represents them all. Bloody fools.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The Roast

The entire article, except about 3 paragraphs at the top, is her statement, and powerful is an understatement. It should be compulsory reading for anyone wanting to discuss this.
Original post by Ordo
He should be sentenced to death

Original post by melisss22
disgusting, he should have been sentenced for way longer than that.

The guy had a clean criminal record, he had a bright future ahead of him, he only sexually asualted the girl because he was drunk, the girl was unconscious during the incident and he is still so young. I don't see why he deserves anything more than a light sentence. Having to go to prison has already ruined his life- he is unlikely to get a good job or find a wife. Six months is more than enough imo

Also, he is not a 'rapist'. The crime is sexual assault, which is separate to rape.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending