The Student Room Group

AQA Maths FOUNDATION Calculator 9th June UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I know this one an easy question but the perimeter question with shading question got me just couldn't answer it. The bread question took a little bit of time but finally got it and the steam and leaf one with the number of matches play was quite hard.

Oh and the nth term question and the frequency question. Did anybody else get stuck on these question?
For the second part of the frequency question, when you had to draw the histogram, I think. You had to divide the frequency by the class width, and then plot those numbers against the groups. I cant remember the points exactly, but;
group 1: had a height of 5 + average height, wide bar
group 2: height of 10 + tall, thin bar
group 3: can't remember
group 4: I think it was 2.4? or around there + short height, wide bar
Did you have to draw a histogram on the frequency question on foundation paper I thought it said you just had to find the mean? Final question got my maths teacher to work it out it was 16.89 or something for x did you have to find the shaded area for one tile? or the whole shaded area?

Got stuck on 6-2n

Answer: 4, 2, 8 I think according to my maths tutor.
The examiner asked if I had drawn on the graph paper oh no...
Reply 24
Original post by samf354
I know this one an easy question but the perimeter question with shading question got me just couldn't answer it. The bread question took a little bit of time but finally got it and the steam and leaf one with the number of matches play was quite hard.

Oh and the nth term question and the frequency question. Did anybody else get stuck on these question?

I was literally the same as you on those ones. I didn;t even attempt the shading one. Just guessed with iniquities one, but got the others. The nth term frustrated me as I knew what to do, but as I hadn't done it in a while, I forgot.

I added up the points for all the questions I was almost certain I got right and got 77. so hopefully that's what I'll get or less and with the regards to this years grade boundaries. Last year was 62, then year before that, 63, then 76 etc. However, I'm hoping they'll stick within the 60 zone for this year as well! D:
not quite sure as it changes every year, but hopefully it may be a bit lower as they made an error in the paper ( calling millilitres millimetres). Also in paper 1 the muffin question didn't have a key on both pages..whereas in past papers similar questions had a key on both pages.
last year the boundary was about 65%..
Original post by sunshine1978
Did you have to draw a histogram on the frequency question on foundation paper I thought it said you just had to find the mean? Final question got my maths teacher to work it out it was 16.89 or something for x did you have to find the shaded area for one tile? or the whole shaded area?

Got stuck on 6-2n

Answer: 4, 2, 8 I think according to my maths tutor.

i got the 4 right, but for some stupid reason i then put 10,16 , mind went blank!...i wonder will i at least get 1 mark...?
Original post by studentnurse81
i got the 4 right, but for some stupid reason i then put 10,16 , mind went blank!...i wonder will i at least get 1 mark...?

I worked it out to be -4,-2,0.

I can't remember how many marks this question was for though.
Reply 28
Original post by Kelly0103
I worked it out to be -4,-2,0.

I can't remember how many marks this question was for though.

same
Oh, I was pretty off the mark then...
Yes,that n sequence sounds right, my tutor did that on the board. The last question still bugging me. I got 60 minutes for liquid filling and baking was 2.5 times the ingredients they gave.bread one it was the ratio 6:1:3 I think from memory,white bread: brown then granary. I x them by this ratio to get answer. Cylinder was pie x r2 x height. Factor of 76 was 4
(edited 7 years ago)
how did you do stem and leaf I just wrote the average goal beside the number from 31 onwards then added the goals up then x by the total amount of numbers to find the mean.

Median was 20 so the one between 15-25
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by sunshine1978
Yes,that n sequence sounds right, my tutor did that on the board. The last question still bugging me. I got 60 minutes for liquid filling and baking was 2.5 times the ingredients they gave.bread one it was the ratio 6:1:3 I think from memory,white bread: brown then granary. I x them by this ratio to get answer. Cylinder was pie x r2 x height. Factor of 76 was 4

For the ingredients one 8 biscuits.. need to know the ingredients to 20 biscuits.. I halfed the ingredients to give me 4 biscuits then x that by 5 would that work?
Reply 33
Original post by jak829
dont u divide it by 2 and plus 3 because you doing the opposite of the equation to go back?

yeah so just the opposite to find the first term

1st was 10

17 second

31 third
I couldn't work out the last question until 10 hours later it hit me that it was a simple trail and error question and x= 19! making the answer 5x19x19=1805 kmt. it seem I got the other tricky questions right by the look treads
Original post by amorerose
I couldn't work out the last question until 10 hours later it hit me that it was a simple trail and error question and x= 19! making the answer 5x19x19=1805 kmt. it seem I got the other tricky questions right by the look treads

I didn't get that. I got X = 6. So to find the area of the small rectangle. I did 6 X 5 X 6 =180.

The big square that it give you the area for 5x twice. So 60 - 12 because of the small sides = 6. So 48 X 30 =1440. Which was the area that they gave you for the big white square.

So the final answer being 180.

I could be well out though.Fingers crossed
Is there an unofficial mark scheme for AQA maths foundation (linear) calculator and non calculator yet?
Did anyone work out the mean on the frequency page ?

It asked for an esitmate of the mean. It was 4 marks. So I think I've done it too simple and got the wrong answer ?

What did we have to do ?
That's sounds right, all I wrote down was 1440 =5x X 8x every think else was manic working out and a random answer. It's a shame though as feeling mostly confident on the other questions, more so following this tread
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi all. I am an ex maths teacher. If anyone can get a hold of the actual papers I would be happy to work out the answers for both the non calculator and calculator and post them up for all to see....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending