The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics Unit 2 (PHYA2) June 9th 2016 Resit paper

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thatcooldude2.0
What did you guys get for the max vertical height in the projectile motion question?

Something like 1.3 metres.
Original post by CourtlyCanter
Does anyone remember how many marks the whole question on the spacecraft thing was worth? 6?

well the last part was 3 marks alone....then there were two pages worth of questions before that i think so probably more than 6..

the first part was adding masses and dividing by 1400N to find Acceleration....god that whole question has evaporated from my brain...it could be six actually...there were lots of diagrams....so many diagrams!!
Can someone please put up an unofficial mark scheme.
Original post by philo-jitsu
well the last part was 3 marks alone....then there were two pages worth of questions before that i think so probably more than 6..

the first part was adding masses and dividing by 1400N to find Acceleration....god that whole question has evaporated from my brain...it could be six actually...there were lots of diagrams....so many diagrams!!

What did you write about newtons laws?
That they were the same

But in opposite directions

Then there weren't equal forces?
Original post by Rahmada
Same as the first but with a slightly steeper gradient and a higher plateau after a longer time

did everyone get 3 for the number of diffraction angles? I hate those questions.

Yes. The answer was something like 3.3.... so you would naturally round it down to 3.
Original post by WhoDaresWins
That they were the same

Yes, magnitude is the same but direction is opposite. And they weren't equal as the rocket was slowing down meaning a resultant force (or the upwards arrow was bigger) so not N3L.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JamieOH
Yes, magnitude is the same but direction is opposite. And they weren't equal as the rocket was slowing down meaning a resultant force (or the upwards arrow was bigger) so not N3L.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thank God.
How many points was the diamond drawing? I didnt have time so skipped it

2 or 3.
Any made an unofficial mark scheme yet?
1) resultant of rock = 196N

moments taken from rock

1.2m*32g>0.8m*46g hence plank wont tilt

2) 11.83ms for speed

High point was 1.3m above starting point using suvat

Horizontal distance before hitting floor was 13.9M done by using pythagorus using 11.83^2-5^2 then square root to find horizontal velocity then times by 1.3 seconds which was time of flight

A was at bottom of arc and B was at the highest point

3) Velocity of brick after leaving spring = 3.3ms

next parts are debatable

friction force was 1.8N

elastic potential was 2.38 (very debatable but what I got)

4) dont remember answer but this was the rocket question....

sum total of rockets mass, then f=ma to find acceleration

then the newtons laws part, the difference was the direction and the similarity was the magnitude of forces

5) if this was the 6 marker?

Tucks final velocity higher due to less friction from tire/road surface as mass was less
initial gradient was the same but subsequently increased due to mass loss

6) there was a waves question which was all really simpleso doubt people need to know it

7) Diffraction grating still need to know this one

By using nlambda/d<1 you found n the be 3.3 so max orders was 3

the oscilloscope question
As frequency increase wavelength decreases so diffraction is less, so the bright fringes are narrower so the distance between A&B decreases, also the amplitude was constant. It was 3 marks so i stuck the amplitude part in, not sure if relevant though

8) angle was around 24degrees, the second material was better at producing TIR as the critical angle is less so more angles of light can hit it while still reflecting, and then the diamond diagram question

I realise there are lots of gaps...anyone who has better versions of the later questions post them up......Its hard to recreate paper when you panicked for the last 30 minutes
(edited 7 years ago)
The path sketch I'm sure was 2 marks

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
That they were the same

Yeah for the same i put magnitude of forces, and for diffferent i put direction/vectors were different

Plank wouldnt tilt so boy wouldnt fall as moment of weight from the rock > Moment of boys weight

2) 11.83ms for speed

High point was 1.3m above starting point

Horizontal distance before hitting floor was 13.9M

next parts are debatable

friction force was 1.8N

4) if this was the 6 marker?

Tucks final velocity higher due to less friction from tire/road surface as mass was less

5) there was a waves question which was all really simpleso doubt people need to know it

6) Diffraction grating still need to know this one

Need 7 & 8

8) angle was around 24degrees, the second material was better at producing TIR as the critical angle is less so more angles of light can hit it while still reflecting, and then the diamond diagram question

I realise there are lots of gaps...anyone who has better versions of the later questions post them up......Its hard to recreate paper when you panicked for the last 30 minutes

Good memory, can't even remember half of it. The diffraction grating I remember getting max order was 3

Original post by CALI1198
It made sense at the time haha.

My only revision for this was last night and this morning. Had FP2 and M1 yesterday. (CGP revision guides are amazing, get one for A2 if you haven't done so already, the purple ones)

yeah I had m1 yesterday.. how did you find out? so annoyed at myself made really stupid mistakes on easy questions
Reply 594
I take it no one is doing an unofficial marks scheme and those who are saying so are just saying it to be funny

Plank wouldnt tilt so boy wouldnt fall as moment of weight from the rock > Moment of boys weight

2) 11.83ms for speed

High point was 1.3m above starting point

Horizontal distance before hitting floor was 13.9M

next parts are debatable

friction force was 1.8N

4) if this was the 6 marker?

5) there was a waves question which was all really simpleso doubt people need to know it

6) Diffraction grating still need to know this one

Need 7 & 8

Diffraction grating was:
A.) What colour would you see first as you turn to first order? (Violet)
B.) What angle is the first order at? (dsin(theta)=lambda)
C.) How many maxima will there be? (d=n(lambda) gave 3.39 so 3)
That they were the same

yeah i put that, cause the arrows weren't the same size
Original post by txnilxnur
yeah I had m1 yesterday.. how did you find out? so annoyed at myself made really stupid mistakes on easy questions

M1 I thought was quite nice. Was easier than 2015's paper imo

So are are sound waves longitudinal and do they interfere? That's what I put but I have no clue if that's right lol. **** waves.
Original post by WillRose
In the projectile motion question, wasn't the end horizontal velocity just the same as the 12ms-1 initial velocity beccase there was no air resistance? Really confused at that one

Yes it should be the same as we were told to ignore air resistance and the object's horizontal velocity is independent of the vertical acceleration

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending