The Student Room Group

IB Subject Choices for Law

Hi,
Does anybody know if these subjects are good to apply for a law degree at a good uni like UCL/ LSE?? From what I have read from the entry requirement pages from the unis are that they don't ask for any specific subjects so I have chosen (what I think are) the easiest ones:
HL- Biology, Economics, Geography
SL- Maths Studies, French, English.
If you are studying Law at Uni/ applying to study Law at Uni what subjects did you choose?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Most law degrees look upon HL English very favorably. In addition, Psychology could be useful. However, if you've looked into it and the places you want to apply to don't have an requirements - don't sweat it!

In addition, you can always do an undergrad degree in something you're interested in, perhaps to do with the subjects you've chosen, and then do a one year conversion to law course. For that, they don't care what your undergraduate degree was in as long as you got a 2:1 or above in it (in the UK).

Overall, I'd encourage you to choose subjects you love, not ones you're just choosing cause you think they're easy, and not ones that you're just choosing cause you think they'll benefit you in later study. You have to be motivated by interest to do well in classes, and a lot can change over the course of two years.
They dont care really. They might be worried if you did too many soft subjects that are l;ess academically rigorous than traditional ones. Do the ones you can get the best grades in i.e the ones you enjoy.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
They dont care really. They might be worried if you did too many soft subjects that are l;ess academically rigorous than traditional ones. Do the ones you can get the best grades in i.e the ones you enjoy.

Okay thanks :smile:. Do you think that my choices are considered as the "Soft" options? If so, what do you suggest I do? Generally, I enjoy most subjects, unless it is something like Higher maths or Latin.Thanks.
Reply 4
Original post by FaeBae
Most law degrees look upon HL English very favorably. In addition, Psychology could be useful. However, if you've looked into it and the places you want to apply to don't have an requirements - don't sweat it!

In addition, you can always do an undergrad degree in something you're interested in, perhaps to do with the subjects you've chosen, and then do a one year conversion to law course. For that, they don't care what your undergraduate degree was in as long as you got a 2:1 or above in it (in the UK).

Overall, I'd encourage you to choose subjects you love, not ones you're just choosing cause you think they're easy, and not ones that you're just choosing cause you think they'll benefit you in later study. You have to be motivated by interest to do well in classes, and a lot can change over the course of two years.

Okay, thanks a lot for your advice :smile: Do you do higher English? If so, could you please say how difficult/ time consuming it is?

Thanks.
Original post by Clubb
Okay thanks :smile:. Do you think that my choices are considered as the "Soft" options? If so, what do you suggest I do? Generally, I enjoy most subjects, unless it is something like Higher maths or Latin.Thanks.

Nope they are all fine.
Reply 6
Original post by Clubb
Okay, thanks a lot for your advice :smile: Do you do higher English? If so, could you please say how difficult/ time consuming it is?

Thanks.

No problem! Yeah, I took higher english and honestly it's not time consuming at all. You just have to pay attention in class imo. I classify English as something you can't really study for, that your skills simply develop in over time. If you don't enjoy reading books and analyzing texts though, you might not want to choose it at HL because it just means you get more hours per week of that than in SL. I really love studying books and poetry, and I never would have considered taking SL.

The hardest bit about the course for me was the orals you're required to do, but you can't get around these since SL has to do them too!
Reply 7
Original post by Clubb
Hi,
Does anybody know if these subjects are good to apply for a law degree at a good uni like UCL/ LSE?? From what I have read from the entry requirement pages from the unis are that they don't ask for any specific subjects so I have chosen (what I think are) the easiest ones:
HL- Biology, Economics, Geography
SL- Maths Studies, French, English.
If you are studying Law at Uni/ applying to study Law at Uni what subjects did you choose?

Hi, im doing IB & applying for law too:smile:
HL- history, english, geog
SL- maths studies, bio, spanish :smile:!
goodluck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending