The Student Room Group

Edexcel June 2016 FP2 UK (and IAL) Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by edothero
I would say 74 for full. Making mistakes in the polar coordinates question was quite easy, not a lot of people will get 75/75

hmm i thought the polar was quite straight forward. I dont see what was tricky about it, other than it wasn't the usual 'find the exact value' style of q
Original post by AmarPatel98
hmm i thought the polar was quite straight forward. I dont see what was tricky about it, other than it wasn't the usual 'find the exact value' style of q

It wasn't tricky, the fact that the angle wasn't something like pi/4 or something and that it was 0.723 could very easily force calculation errors, especially under exam conditions. Loads of people would've got the method correct, however.

This might be a bit biased of me though, I personally made that mistake :laugh:
(edited 7 years ago)
For 4ii I integrated e^2x.sinx by parts and doing it twice I substituted e^2x.y but gut got a plus instead of a minus meaning I got y=1/3(cosx - 3sinx -e^2x) how many marks will I loose?
Reply 63
Original post by Jonnyread
For 4ii I integrated e^2x.sinx by parts and doing it twice I substituted e^2x.y but gut got a plus instead of a minus meaning I got y=1/3(cosx - 3sinx -e^2x) how many marks will I loose?

Drop 1 mark.
I had a sign error and for the 53/480 question I got 153/480. How many marks do you think i lost?

My working for the polar integral was incomplete as i ran out of time. How mant marks do you think I'd get for evaluating the integral of curve 2 between 0 and arccos (3/4)?
Original post by Zacken
Drop 1 mark.

Cheers
Hi @Zacken , cheers for taking the time to post this mate! Know you must get about 1000 questions a day but if you could, bear with me. All of my answers bar the second part of Q4 (which I left as ye^2(theta) = integral of {e^2(theta)sin(theta)} then did IBP once) matched yours :biggrin: Two questions :

How important is your working to gain marks? Some of my workings were different to yours and I skipped some steps due to time pressure, would this significantly affect my grade?

How many marks would I lose for Q4b)?
I forgot how to do the de moivre's theorem question so for the next part integrating I did it interms of A B and C. How many marks would you say this would be if any?
Reply 68
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I had a sign error and for the 53/480 question I got 153/480. How many marks do you think i lost?

Depends where exactly the sign error occurred, but probably drop 2 marks.

My working for the polar integral was incomplete as i ran out of time. How mant marks do you think I'd get for evaluating the integral of curve 2 between 0 and arccos (3/4)?

You should get 3 marks.

Original post by TheFarmerLad
Hi @Zacken , cheers for taking the time to post this mate! Know you must get about 1000 questions a day but if you could, bear with me. All of my answers bar the second part of Q4 (which I left as ye^2(theta) = integral of {e^2(theta)sin(theta)} then did IBP once) matched yours :biggrin:

Cheers mate, well done!

How important is your working to gain marks? Some of my workings were different to yours and I skipped some steps due to time pressure, would this significantly affect my grade?

Shouldn't affect your grade at all unless your skips were massive.

How many marks would I lose for Q4b)?

Probably drop 4 marks.

Original post by edmundh52
I forgot how to do the de moivre's theorem question so for the next part integrating I did it interms of A B and C. How many marks would you say this would be if any?

Probably worth 2 marks.
Thanks Zacken. So at an estimate, I have 67. I was meant to go back to draw in the complex numbers but ran out of time -_-.
Reply 70
Thanks Zacken. So at an estimate, I have 67. I was meant to go back to draw in the complex numbers but ran out of time -_-.

Could scrape an A* if you're very lucky.
Original post by Zacken
Could scrape an A* if you're very lucky.

M2 will be my saving grace :smile:. It's about the 270, not the 90. As long as I definitely have an A in Fp2, I should be fine.

Thank you for the solutions :smile:. It's very noble/kind of you to take the time to make them.
Original post by Zacken
Cheers mate, well done!

Shouldn't affect your grade at all unless your skips were massive.

Probably drop 4 marks.

PRSOM
Reply 73
M2 will be my saving grace :smile:. It's about the 270, not the 90. As long as I definitely have an A in Fp2, I should be fine.

Thank you for the solutions :smile:. It's very noble/kind of you to take the time to make them.

You don't need 90 in FP2. Even if you get just close to it - say around 87-88 - a good M2 or S2 will bring your grade up by a lot!
@zacken for the last question working out was correct but part of my second integral my limits where wrong and therefore answer was wrong how many marks lost?
Reply 75
What's the A boundary ?
Reply 76
Original post by solid222
@zacken for the last question working out was correct but part of my second integral my limits where wrong and therefore answer was wrong how many marks lost?

Drop 2 marks.
Original post by edothero
I would say 74 for full. Making mistakes in the polar coordinates question was quite easy, not a lot of people will get 75/75

Original post by AmarPatel98
I think 73 for full, particularly since the first order diff eqn seemed to have tripped up many people. The rest of it seemed doable, with part Bs having a 'show that' question which confirms your answer to part A. Thoughts?

highly doubt full will change from 75 tbh. People are really overreacting on this paper. The paper had lots of standard questions and it was all doable. People complain a lot about the DE but many other questions were free marks (namely the show thats) which will pull up it back up
I was an idiot and decided that (znzn)=2isinθ (z^n - z^{-n}) = -2i\sin \theta All the minuses cancelled out in the end, how many marks do you think I would have lost?
Reply 79
Original post by MathsAndChess
I was an idiot and decided that (znzn)=2isinθ (z^n - z^{-n}) = -2i\sin \theta All the minuses cancelled out in the end, how many marks do you think I would have lost?

Drop 1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending