The Student Room Group

Edexcel: From kaiser to fuhrer 1900-1945, his03/d exam friday 10th june 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Archdukes
WW1 Controversy question is guaranteed to come up.

I'd say it would also be more than likely to come up in part A as well (Kaiserreich).

Basic outline for Stresemann:

Hyperintlation CA: Rentemark

Ruhr Valley/Rhineland occupation CA: Calling off passive resistance, Franco-German border agreement, restart of reparation payment.

Locarno Treaty CA: Germany allowed in the League of Nations, status of 'Great Power'. Counter-argument to that: Loss of casus belli for lost territory. Agreement of reparations payment infuriates German populace.

Dawes Plan: Stresemann's main concern was in reinvigorating Germany's post-war economic slumber. Allows US investment in Germany>Allows German economy to recover. French finally leave Ruhr region. Reparations paid over a longer period of time and in lower quantities. Reichbank restructured under Allied supervision. CA: Many saw the reparations enforced upon Germany under the Treaty of Versailles as unjust. CATT: Arguably shows Stresemann's pragmatic side - he was aware that if Germany is to begin growing again it must accept these measures. His pragmatism was a display of the stability of the period (arguably as it could be said he was merely 'plastering the cracks'.

Young Plan (1930): Achieves total French evacuation of the Ruhr region. Was Stresemann's last major political achievement and arguably his most important. Comes right after onset of GD and the WSC. It caused the successful revision of reparations payment - 2,000 million marks to be paid yearly until 1988>This easened the burden on the German people and easened the political tension in Germany, wherein many externalised internal German problems on the US and the Versailles treaty. CA: Defeatism and appeasement of Allies. It was a rallying cry to those forces within the republic which were intrinsically against the new deal>promulgated Hitler and the NSDAP to national prominence.

Did I miss anything? Please tell me.

In what way would WWI come up in Section A, do you think?
Original post by eddso
Is it ok to end each paragraph with the same point though?

Like for golden years, my line of argument would be that nothing was really stable

So I'd present the economy argument for it being stable then counter it with its instability

I'd do the same with politics (no putsch as pro, but coalitions etc as con)

Then I'd do the same with culture (lots of cultural expansion as pro but political divisions exacerbated as con)

Then diplomacy (good relations as pro, internal political tensions as con)

I'm technically arguing both sides and maintaining the argument throughout so would that be allowed?

Hey sorry to bother you just wondering if you could give me an example of internal political tension to do with diplomacy and how political tension was exacerberated from culture?? Plz thanks
BTW and apologies for doublepost. How f***** is everyone if Stresemann years (1923-30) don't come up?

completely f*****
if morale/opposition doesn't come up either I am eating the paper
Original post by charmantell
In what way would WWI come up in Section A, do you think?

Anything but post 1914 stuff I hope. As I haven't revised it all that much. :/

I might think they would give us a question on why there was so little constitutional change within the Kaiserreich, although that might be wishful thinking. xD
Anything but post 1914 stuff I hope. As I haven't revised it all that much. :/

I might think they would give us a question on why there was so little constitutional change within the Kaiserreich, although that might be wishful thinking. xD

I see. I'm not sure how likely that unit is going to come up since it was an option in last year's paper. Nevertheless, you could be right! I am similarly hoping the period 1914-19 does not make an appearance as that is certainly my weakest area.
Reply 625
Original post by cgureje
Hey sorry to bother you just wondering if you could give me an example of internal political tension to do with diplomacy and how political tension was exacerberated from culture?? Plz thanks

So can talk about how, to many (especially nationalists) any co-operation can be seen as a betrayal of German values...opposition to the young plan for example

And for culture, it was seen as a decadence of German traditions, especially the growth of Jazz (influenced from African Americans)
Original post by eddso
So can talk about how, to many (especially nationalists) any co-operation can be seen as a betrayal of German values...opposition to the young plan for example

And for culture, it was seen as a decadence of German traditions, especially the growth of Jazz (influenced from African Americans)

Thanks!
Guys, is there going to be an option for a re-sit for this next June? I have a uneasy feeling about tomorrow :frown:(((
Reply 628
Don't get how you all want Weimar culture to come up and stressmen, I can't process any of it in my brain :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you think the Final Solution will make an appearance? Hasn't come up since 2010!
Lots of us seem to think that the Final Solution will come up. I haven't really done much on it. What are the main things to use as evidence? So far I have a few points, but not really fleshed out

Why did the Holocaust happen and who was responsible?

Intentionalists

For intentionalist historians, Hitler was the key. He set out for Jews since an early stage in his political career. This was followed by a consistent gradualist policy which led logically to Auschwitz. The Holocaust simply happened because Hitler intended for it to happen.

Himmler stated in 1944 that Hitler had given him a ‘Fuhrer order’ to give priority to the Jewish question.

However, since Hitler encouraged initiatives below, it cannot be confirmed that Hitler actually ordered this; he may have simply agreed

The arrangements for the Final Solution’s implementation were very haphazard. Only began to manifest in 1941, and therefore it is difficult at best to prove that Hitler had always intended for the Final Solution to take place. However, this is not to say the Hitler is not guilty; he was in total favour of any policy, and thus he must accept much guilt. However, to say that he was 'intentionalist' and planned such action from the beginning is hard to back up

Goldhagen

Goldhagen suggested that the Holocaust was ‘intended’ thanks to the amount of ordinary Germans were prepared to participate

Within German culture, there had developed a violent variant of anti-Semitism which was set on eliminating Jews

Genocide would not manifest itself with support from a minority - it required many average Germans to partake in the mass execution

However, heavily criticized. Many Germans were not motivated by antisemitism but other, much more mundane, factors: fear, peer pressure, etc.

Goldhagen has also been criticised personally for things such as failing to recognize the role of many non-Germans in the murder of Jews

Overall, the line of argument that it was the Germans themselves who were responsible is difficult to prove; it is more likely that Germans were eased into such acts by the brutal context of the war

Structuralist

Historians of this school reject the idea of long-term plans for extermination.

There was a lack of clear objective, and it was not the product of grand design

It was a result of the chaotic nature of government within the regime that caused the ‘final solution’s implementation

Therefore, the moral responsibility of the Final Solution extends beyond Hitler’s intentions, to the structure of the regime itself.

Overall, the final solution can be viewed as a pragmatic response to the chaos of war, instead of long-term intent

Obviously a pretty scarce plan but I think I could make an essay out of it. Any other big factors that I'm missing? Useful statistics etc?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 631
Original post by eioannou
Do you think the Final Solution will make an appearance? Hasn't come up since 2010!

It certainly seems quite possible
Reply 632
Since everyone seems to think Final Solution will come up who wants to run through an essay plan together on here? Want to focus on structure as well so I can just walk into the exam and immediately write it out from short memory.
Original post by DrDobbs
Since everyone seems to think Final Solution will come up who wants to run through an essay plan together on here? Want to focus on structure as well so I can just walk into the exam and immediately write it out from short memory.

yeah I'd like to see what everyone has on this too, I'm not sure how I'm going to flesh my points out (assuming they're even the right points). Few posts above yours
Original post by XiuXiu
Lots of us seem to think that the Final Solution will come up. I haven't really done much on it. What are the main things to use as evidence? So far I have a few points, but not really fleshed out

Obviously a pretty scarce plan but I think I could make an essay out of it. Any other big factors that I'm missing? Useful statistics etc?

does this fall into part a or b?
Original post by kosovo123
does this fall into part a or b?

A

I assume
Original post by XiuXiu

You seem to have a pretty good outline but here's a few stats/info that I've found tonight to prep for a final solution question:

First documented written 'order' to 'kill all Jewish males' between the ages of 18-45 was given to the Einsatzgruppen units by the SS on 11 July 1941 and Heydrich ordered all Jews found in Russian P.O.W camps to be executed on the same day.

Madagascar plan - plan to deport 4 million Jews to french colony of Madagascar

Nisko Plan - construction of a reservation in Southern Poland between cities of Lublin and Nisko to contain Jews - abandoned due to impracticality

Local clashes e.g. Polish Governor Hans Frank refused to relocate 20,000 of the 350,000 German jews
Good luck for tomorrow everyone
Original post by XiuXiu
A

I assume

do you have a general plan of how you are going to answer the part a and b question e.g. using peel?
Everyone good luck for tomorrow. I hope and pray our predictions come true. I hope everyone get the grades they want. :smile: <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending