The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Classical Greek

Scroll to see replies

Doing the vocab list now... Trying to finally nail some of those trick aorist passives :wink:

Oh, and all the silly little words that decline, like αυτος :angry:
Reply 61
Original post by Kaedra
^ Famous last words :tongue:

It's gunna be my fault now when we all fail :banana::p:D
Original post by fuzz13
It's gunna be my fault now when we all fail :banana::p:D

Let's hope no-one fails! Best of luck tomorrow everyone :smile: :danceboy:

And with any other exams you might have in the morning as well (Biology for me :clap2:)
Yep, good luck fellow Classicists :wink: (that took a few attempts to type :colondollar:)

And good luck metellaest with your Biology tomorrow - I'm sitting it too :tongue:

Oh, and could everyone start praying please because I have Music as well tomorrow :s-smilie: and I think I might just die after three exams
Oh God, it's TOMORROW.
And I'm still mixing up loads of words with 'ιτζ' in the middle.
And the verbs, oh God, the verbs.
I actually have four exams tomorrow, English Lit, Maths, Greek and then Physics. This is going to be interesting.
Original post by Nelliebelly
Oh God, it's TOMORROW.
I actually have four exams tomorrow, English Lit, Maths, Greek and then Physics. This is going to be interesting.

I feel for you! I hope it all goes to plan. :hugs:

I struggle most with βουλομαι and βοηθεω...

And yes, the verbs... :frown:
Original post by metellaest
I feel for you! I hope it all goes to plan. :hugs:

I struggle most with βουλομαι and βοηθεω...

And yes, the verbs... :frown:

Thanks for the hug emoji!
Oh, and I'm very proud of myself because I know what those two verbs mean. βουλομαι is 'I wish, am willing' and βοηθεω is 'I help', right? Seems the situation is not as bad as I'd thought after all!
I'm going to bed now cos I want a really good night's sleep tonight. Probably not going to happen, but it can't hurt to try :smile:
I knew that :tongue:

Wow, super good luck to you with four exams tomorrow, hope they all go well.\

It's weird, do no guys do Greek? :wink:
Thanks for the hug emoji!
Oh, and I'm very proud of myself because I know what those two verbs mean. βουλομαι is 'I wish, am willing' and βοηθεω is 'I help', right? Seems the situation is not as bad as I'd thought after all!
I'm going to bed now cos I want a really good night's sleep tonight. Probably not going to happen, but it can't hurt to try :smile:

No problem :smile:

And yep - that's the right way around! The situation is not bad at all :smile:

Good luck tomorrow :biggrin:
Original post by Caecilius'Garden
I knew that :tongue:

Wow, super good luck to you with four exams tomorrow, hope they all go well.\

It's weird, do no guys do Greek? :wink:

50% of my Greek class are guys, but given that there's only 6 of us, I guess that's not saying much... But on TSR, it does seem to be mostly girls :smile:
ah just found this thread, didn't know there was one lol. Just looking at some vocab after biology tomorrow and hopefully that should be enough lol
Agreed :smile:

From an all-boys school here (except for next year :wink:) so maybe it's just more of a surprise for me :tongue:
So scared for tomorrow and for monday, I have done basically no revision so you're all welcome for me personally lowering all the grade boundaries :wink:
2015:

Greek
Prose for an A*: 44
Verse for an A*: 41
Language 1 for an A*: 52
Language 2 for an A*: 51

I'm doing short course so that's only Lang 1 and Prose - sooooo glad the grade boundary for prose is lowish, on my mock I got 50 so that's an A*!!!! The Language 1 seems pretty high. But honestly for that I'll be happy with an A, so.
Does anyone know how they average out the exam scores to give you your final grade? Sorry, am n00b to this whole GCSEs thing.
Hi! Well done for your mock score :smile:

OCR gives you your final grade on UMS - in Greek, that would be 360 out of 400 or better to get an A*. Each paper is out of 100 - the specific A* boundary (eg, 44 out of 50 for Prose) will equate to 90 UMS; the A boundary will equate to 80 UMS etc.. That means you can lose raw marks, but it is still possible to get 100 UMS in a paper (eg 57/58 out of 60 will normally get you 100 UMS in a language paper). Hope that helps!

As you're doing short corse, I would guess your A* boundary is 180/200, but I'd have to check.

Good luck for the paper!

@Nelliebelly

OCR gives you your final grade on UMS - in Greek, that would be 360 out of 400 or better to get an A*. Each paper is out of 100 - the specific A* boundary (eg, 44 out of 50 for Prose) will equate to 90 UMS; the A boundary will equate to 80 UMS etc.. That means you can lose raw marks, but it is still possible to get 100 UMS in a paper (eg 57/58 out of 60 will normally get you 100 UMS in a language paper). Hope that helps!

As you're doing short corse, I would guess your A* boundary is 180/200, but I'd have to check.

Good luck for the paper!

@Nelliebelly

Ooh, thanks for the info! Good luck to you!
Reply 76
Original post by helenh567
So scared for tomorrow and for monday, I have done basically no revision so you're all welcome for me personally lowering all the grade boundaries :wink:

Aw hahaha I'm sure you'll be great!:smile:

Oh God, it's TOMORROW.

Original post by Caecilius'Garden
Yep, good luck fellow Classicists :wink: (that took a few attempts to type :colondollar:)

And good luck metellaest with your Biology tomorrow - I'm sitting it too :tongue:

Oh, and could everyone start praying please because I have Music as well tomorrow :s-smilie: and I think I might just die after three exams

Omg good luck you two! Don't know how your going to do it :redface: My friend has three too and she's being shoved in isolation form us :biggrin::tongue:

Good luck for the paper!

@Nelliebelly

I'm really confused about UMS and raw marks and grade boundaries?!?!?:confused: Can someone help!!?:s-smilie:
Original post by fuzz13
Aw hahaha I'm sure you'll be great!:smile:

Omg good luck you two! Don't know how your going to do it :redface: My friend has three too and she's being shoved in isolation form us :biggrin::tongue:

I'm really confused about UMS and raw marks and grade boundaries?!?!?:confused: Can someone help!!?:s-smilie:

What's confusing you about the marks? I'm happy to explain.
Reply 78
What's confusing you about the marks? I'm happy to explain.

Thanks.... Basically I'm just confused as to how it all works like why do they have UMS and what does it do? Is your grade based on UMS or the grade boundaries and why do you need both UMS and grade boundaries!?
Sorry that's probably really confusing..I'm just really confuzzled :s-smilie::tongue:
Original post by fuzz13
Thanks.... Basically I'm just confused as to how it all works like why do they have UMS and what does it do? Is your grade based on UMS or the grade boundaries and why do you need both UMS and grade boundaries!?
Sorry that's probably really confusing..I'm just really confuzzled :s-smilie::tongue:

Haha no problem :smile:

So each Paper (if you do long course) is out of 100 UMS, so the total is out of 400 UMS.

The purpose of UMS is so they can keep the boundary constant (360 out of 400 UMS) every year, and to make sure it's no harder or easier to get an A* one year than the next.

A 90 UMS average across your papers will get you an A*; OCR have a raw mark to UMS converter that you can use to see what raw mark will get you what UMS each year.

That way a harder paper will have a lower raw mark boundary, but the UMS stays the same.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending