The Student Room Group

A-Levels are Too Easy

Scroll to see replies

Sit my psychology exam on Tuesday please...
Reply 41
Original post by h8skoooooool
So I'm assuming you found the physics exam today terribly tedious? And, of course, the chemistry exam tomorrow will be a walk in the park also?

I don't really believe this is for real. If you compare the past AQA physics spec papers with the one I sat today then there is no way that old specs are harder. The same is true for biology and chemistry.

You could say that, it wasn't a thorough assessment of Chemistry or Physics . I do OCR Physics and Chemistry not AQA. AQA might be a different ballpark, so I can't comment on that one.
Reply 42
Original post by loveleest
Sit my psychology exam on Tuesday please...

Psychology is a Mickey Mouse subject, get off this thread.
Reply 43
Original post by Pi/2
Well, I'm actually sitting the new AS Spec exams, and for revision I have done every past G481/G482 and the Physics breadth and depth paper was nothing like the past physics exams and it seemed a lot easier. I've also sat the Chemistry breadth and that was also incredibly easy. I also do Maths and Further Maths, but they have not changed though.

Maths and Further Maths definitely agree with, if your're doing MEI OCR for further, try to stick to the latest past papers, especially for FP1, I found the 2006/07 papers for that a lot easier than the 2011/12 ones.
Anyway, back on to the topic at hand,

Hand to look up G481/82, I did Physics and Chemistry with AQA which is where I was getting my information from, should have put which bored really coz that makes me to be a bit of a hypocrite considering I said you were being general, from people at Uni, I've not heard great reviews from the OCR course the two sciences so I've always though of AQA as the best ones.

However, I did just look at some of the past papers, I looked at the AS ones and the material seemed very similar to what was already taught, different order to what AQA has (you don't do particle Physics till A2, which sucks), but I can't compare how hard they are compared to past exams for the OCR board.

So conclusion, I guess you could be right for OCR Science at the very least, AQA no, they are definitely just as hard if not harder, they've mixed the ISA into the exam, which is just cruel.
So are you currently in the middle of your AS exams?
Reply 44
Original post by Pi/2
I never mentioned anything about grade boundaries, stop trying to make me look like a mug - I know how grade boundaries work. When I said "easier", I was referring to the content of the exams, and to be precise, the mean amount of marks that the population score on these tests I would assume to be higher; not a higher proportion of A/A* candidates. QED.

That's not how 'QED' works. Please educate yourself.

Original post by tanyapotter
i think the most difficult exam i'll sit this year is FP2.. absolutely everything else is a walk in the park compared to FP2

Huh? FP2 is one of the easiest FM exams.
Original post by Pi/2
Psychology is a Mickey Mouse subject, get off this thread.

Which is why I asked you to sit the exam for me?
Reply 46
Original post by mikeymk
Maths and Further Maths definitely agree with, if your're doing MEI OCR for further, try to stick to the latest past papers, especially for FP1, I found the 2006/07 papers for that a lot easier than the 2011/12 ones.
Anyway, back on to the topic at hand,

Hand to look up G481/82, I did Physics and Chemistry with AQA which is where I was getting my information from, should have put which bored really coz that makes me to be a bit of a hypocrite considering I said you were being general, from people at Uni, I've not heard great reviews from the OCR course the two sciences so I've always though of AQA as the best ones.

However, I did just look at some of the past papers, I looked at the AS ones and the material seemed very similar to what was already taught, different order to what AQA has (you don't do particle Physics till A2, which sucks), but I can't compare how hard they are compared to past exams for the OCR board.

So conclusion, I guess you could be right for OCR Science at the very least, AQA no, they are definitely just as hard if not harder, they've mixed the ISA into the exam, which is just cruel.
So are you currently in the middle of your AS exams?

Yep, I'm with OCR MEI for Maths and Further Maths, and yeah, it seems to me that the difficulty of the maths past papers has been increasing. Thanks!

OCR have also got ISA in the exam, but the questions they ask are not that difficult at all - like find the gradient of this line etc.
Original post by tanyapotter
i feel sorry for the current students sitting the new spec exams because your AS UMS can't count towards your final A2 grade...

How does that work?
Reply 48
Original post by Zacken
That's not how 'QED' works. Please educate yourself.

Huh? FP2 is one of the easiest FM exams.

Quod erat demonstrandum is latin for "which is what had to proven" and its use was perfectly fine. Don't tell me to educate myself you protoplasmic discombobulated jelly.
Reply 49
Original post by Pi/2
Quod erat demonstrandum is latin for "which is what had to proven" and its use was perfectly fine. Don't tell me to educate myself you protoplasmic discombobulated jelly.

You didn't prove anything... so please, you're embarrassing yourself.
Original post by Pi/2
You could say that, it wasn't a thorough assessment of Chemistry or Physics . I do OCR Physics and Chemistry not AQA. AQA might be a different ballpark, so I can't comment on that one.

If you do OCR, then people at my school seem to feel that other OCR exams this year have been a lot easier. Their IT exam, for example, had no long 11 mark essay question at the end like normal.
Reply 51
Original post by Zacken
You didn't prove anything... so please, you're embarrassing yourself.

Sure, funnily enough my post was not a mathematical proof or conjecture. It was merely a slice of humour. Please, your embarrassing yourself...
Reply 52
Original post by Pi/2
Sure, funnily enough my post was not a mathematical proof or conjecture. It was merely a slice of humour. Please, your embarrassing yourself...

*you're
Reply 53
Original post by Zacken
*you're

That's why I took Maths, Physics and Chemistry and if you are going to put my grammar under scrutiny, you couldn't even use a capital letter after your ellipsis you *******.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Pi/2
That's why I took Maths, Physics and Chemistry

I took Maths, Further Maths and Physics so...
Original post by Pi/2
Hi guys, as you can see from the thread title, I pretty much agree that the new a-level exams are too easy, I mean it's not our fault, but obviously the education secretary should change up the a-level playing field. Exam boards are asking ridiculously easy questions, and this is obviously unfair as previous years have sat daunting, but well set exams while we can just essentially sit "Mickey Mouse" exams. It honestly just defeats the purpose of calling these qualifications "A-Levels", the difficulty of these exams are incomparable with the difficulty of GCSE exams. The qualifications should be renamed to General Certificates of Secondary Education because it's honestly quid pro quo.

I guess that's your opinion.
But for the large majority of students A Levels are definitely tough. A lot of the time AS is the big learning curve, after which people realize they really have to get their act together.

I do Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Maths and they're not impossible. The first year isn't so bad but you really have to knuckle down for A2.
But two years worth of A Level education all at the end of Year 13 is pretty hefty.
Reply 56
Original post by Zacken
I took Maths, Further Maths and Physics so...

I also took Further Maths. However I do not point out grammatical mistakes made on forum posts because I actually have a life and you're a complete degenerate.
Reply 57
Original post by Pi/2
I also took Further Maths. However I do not point out grammatical mistakes made on forum posts because I actually have a life and you're a complete degenerate.

No, instead you make entire threads about random A-Level nonsense. Sounds like an exciting life you lead.
Reply 58
Original post by Zacken
No, instead you make entire threads about random A-Level nonsense. Sounds like an exciting life you lead.

And you have not made entirely nonsensical threads yourself? E.g "Smiley face is actually a winky face." - definitely sounds like you lead an exciting life! It's not even about random A-Level nonsense either - it was an observation.
Original post by Aoba
I was looking forward to the harder exam questions on new specs but just recently in my physics exam i was honestly asked what the distance between 2 points on a ruler is for 1 mark.......

or the "plot these points on the graph"
"Draw a line of best fit"
2 (marks)

Having done 23 past papers from the old spec for a subject such as chemistry and then going into the exam seeing questions that ask me to rearrange
Mass/Mr = moles

Yes i can agree the new spec is easy in the exam papers , even the specimen questions have all been harder than the papers..

easy exam = higher grade boundaries
so nobody really wins here
I'm in year 13 and honestly would hate having two years of stuff sat in one exam period - but it probably would help with biology where they insist on adding AS stuff to the A2 papers still -__-

Quick Reply

Latest