The Student Room Group

Don't do A levels.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kurogane
You both missed the second one.

Q: What is Grammar?
A: The difference between knowing your ****, and knowing you're ****.
I do think that people are mislead about the value and sense in taking a BTEC over A levels. A levels suited me well, but that's because I naturally read a lot about subjects I like and am good at exams etc (migraines aside :frown:), but I have friends who hated it and went to college and are now doing massively better off the coursework structure given to them. It's not even a case of smart people vs not smart people, it's down to how you learn, how you work and what suits you. That's not how it is presented though. My school's advice felt like "College is a great option but if you don't do A levels you're probably a failure but college is great (good people go to sixth form)".
What are you talking about? Firstly, doing maths will tend to cover a portion of physics (or the other way around), and also if you can't do one you're unlikely to be good at the other. If anything they're great to take together because they tie into each other so much.

Original post by Bernie2016
Universities aren't stupid, if you want to study say Physics at Cambridge they aren't gonna accept BTEC film studies even if it is a D*.

If you can't succeed with A levels I think the style of Cambridge wouldn't suit you either, but let's compare apples with apples (you're not getting into Cambridge physics with A level film studies etc because they're not relevant); you can get into top tier universities with relevant BTECs.
(edited 7 years ago)
I know it is unfair, but just ignore what your friend got, what your friend achieve don't really effect you.

I don't think there is a lot of point regretting your decision to pursuit A-levels now, the best thing to do is just to try our absolute best to make sure you attain the highest grade possible, to allow you to make the next step in life.
Original post by urbanlocations
Q: What is Grammar?
A: The difference between knowing your ****, and knowing you're ****.

Oh please, everyone knows that **** is where it's at, not this **** business, that's only for ****.and ****. Maybe ****
Reply 25
Original post by MarvelAgent
I know it is unfair, but just ignore what your friend got, what your friend achieve don't really effect you.

I don't think there is a lot of point regretting your decision to pursuit A-levels now, the best thing to do is just to try our absolute best to make sure you attain the highest grade possible, to allow you to make the next step in life.

Thanks, In no way do i "regret" them as such. As cheesy as it sounds I feel like they have developed me far more as a person than any B-Tec could. Having to push myself constantly, and motivate myself to work. There would be no point in giving up now. I shall continue to do my best in the A levels.

However I think this should be a very imporant factor for those torn between A levels and B-Tecs. When I had the choice I was under the impression that B-Tecs were merely "wanabe" qualifications for dropouts that were looked down upon by uni's and didn't offer any great rewards.... How wrong I was. I hope others in the future get a more "fair" view of their options that I did.
UNLUCKYYYYYY
I remember how teachers back in secondary school negatively spoken about college and BTECs.
I'm enjoying myself with D*D*D* in ICT Software Development without worries about the exams.
This guy is talking crap. A-levels dont have the work where you can't have hobbies. You would seriously we wasting your revision time if you were like that.
Original post by hololand
Thanks, In no way do i "regret" them as such. As cheesy as it sounds I feel like they have developed me far more as a person than any B-Tec could. Having to push myself constantly, and motivate myself to work. There would be no point in giving up now. I shall continue to do my best in the A levels.

However I think this should be a very imporant factor for those torn between A levels and B-Tecs. When I had the choice I was under the impression that B-Tecs were merely "wanabe" qualifications for dropouts that were looked down upon by uni's and didn't offer any great rewards.... How wrong I was. I hope others in the future get a more "fair" view of their options that I did.

I know what you mean, but the way I see it if you manage to do something that is so hard and require so much effort, then future challenge should not pose a big threat to you. Since you worked so hard in your AL, AL have installed a excellent work ethnics in you, which is paramount to future success.
So 2 years ago I made the choice to go through with A levels, My best friend chose the route of B-Tec level 3 extended diploma. Initially I laughed at him and thought he had made a stupid foolish decision.

By the end of the first year I was getting weighed down by the 7 days a week constant revision from maths, physics, business studies and that coursework from art. Meanwhile my friend was merrily on his way with his 3 days a week of relaxed work and practical outdoors filming.

And we arrive at the now. I have not been able to go out with friends on many occasions due to work. Nor have I had any significant free time to pursue my passion and hobbies. I have been locked away revising information that I will likely never need again just to get the grades for a university course of my choice.

My friend meanwhile has already finished for the year, during which he has pursued and integrated his course into his passion for BMX. He has had more free time in the last two weeks than I have had in the entire year.

And he just got his results back. Now at GCSE you must bear in mind he was a B/C student, I was slightly higher with pretty much straight B's. However he just got given D*D*D*, which is the equivalent of 420 ucas points or 3 A*'s at A level. Meanwhile after 7 days a week of far more difficult and challenging work constantly throughout the year, I have barely attained a prediction of BBB.

I don't see how it is fair that 3 days of much easier and far more enjoyable work a week. Can almost DOUBLE the amount of ucas points of far more stressful, much more difficult A levels.

Now obviously I am happy for my friend, I am currently contemplating my life and why I didn't choose the same option as him. But how... HOW is this fair?

I have done just over 2x the work of easily 5x the difficulty and I am getting HALF THE REWARD?.

Now obviously I cannot change the entire UK education system. But I warn anybody considering A levels to read up on this and consider how much pain you will go through for such little reward. Do BTEC's.

This is why BTEC'S level 3 are changing as of next year to compliment A levels.

Some BTECS will be exam based if not all.
Reply 30
Thing is that people overlook is lets say the scenario was that person A did alevels and person B did a specific subject at BTEC such as IT then went onto do compsci at uni along with the person A.. Person B would most likely have way more specific IT knowledge after specifically studying just IT for two years putting them in a better position than person A who studied random subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
I think it completely depends on the person, I did A-Levels and I had plenty of free time, and nearly no course work but when it came to exam period, I worked, other people will be different and prefer doing course work instead of exams, (that's what BTEC is right, coursework with no exams?). It completely depends on the person, and maybe the A-levels that the OP chose, were not the right A-Levels for them.

I don't agree about the easy A-levels being well easy and people getting better grades, all A-levels (and BTEC's) are going to be difficult in one way or another and will require different skill sets, lets say for instance art, which seems to always get picked on, it may seem easy, but I'm sure its a lot of work thinking up an idea, making/ drawing it and handing it in by a deadline and then repeating the process, I'd rather just do a Maths exam.
BTECs are worthless and will only get you into bad universities. Good universities don't ask for UCAS points and if they do they get around it by asking for UCAS points and an A in A level maths.
You do 7 days constant revision? ......one of us is doing something very wrong.
Lmao no offense to anyone but I really doubt that many people regard D*D*D* to be the same as A*A*A*
Not if you enjoy the subjects.
Reply 36
Original post by Blackstarr
This is why BTEC'S level 3 are changing as of next year to compliment A levels.

Some BTECS will be exam based if not all.

The whole point of a BTec is that it is coursework orientated in the speciality subject, preparing them for work straight after education and giving them skills they need to succeed. Although you may have heard BTec's may include exams, that is in no way true as the whole point of it is a different approach to getting a good and worthwhile qualification if an exam based course, such as A-Levels, isn't for your liking. Where did you hear this from might I ask?
I agree, to be honest.

If I could go back, I'd do BTEC. I've always been good at coursework, and never have tested as well. I don't really know why I chose to do A Levels and not BTEC. I guess A Levels just sound better. The thing is, you can do relevant BTEC courses and end up in the same position as someone who has struggled through A Levels. A levels, for me, are a lot more stressful, no matter whether it's science subjects, maths or economics, or if its artsy or essay based subjects like English, History and Psychology.

A Levels aren't bad. I mean, they probably open more doors if you don't go to university than say a BTEC would do. You could end up at a fantastic university with your BTEC. D*D*D* is better, in my opinion, that getting BBB at A Level, and I'm pretty sure that whatever university you were looking for with BBB requirement would love to take you in with D*D*D*.

I think unless you're getting really good A Level grades (A*-B), then there's no point. That's if you're good with coursework, and could achieve DDD or above.

Although A Levels are seen as better by employers and universities, I honestly don't think it's worth the stress. I've cried over my A Levels, got countless amount of migraines over the stress and have already researched into clearing, in case I don't make my university choice.
So 2 years ago I made the choice to go through with A levels, My best friend chose the route of B-Tec level 3 extended diploma. Initially I laughed at him and thought he had made a stupid foolish decision.

By the end of the first year I was getting weighed down by the 7 days a week constant revision from maths, physics, business studies and that coursework from art. Meanwhile my friend was merrily on his way with his 3 days a week of relaxed work and practical outdoors filming.

And we arrive at the now. I have not been able to go out with friends on many occasions due to work. Nor have I had any significant free time to pursue my passion and hobbies. I have been locked away revising information that I will likely never need again just to get the grades for a university course of my choice.

My friend meanwhile has already finished for the year, during which he has pursued and integrated his course into his passion for BMX. He has had more free time in the last two weeks than I have had in the entire year.

And he just got his results back. Now at GCSE you must bear in mind he was a B/C student, I was slightly higher with pretty much straight B's. However he just got given D*D*D*, which is the equivalent of 420 ucas points or 3 A*'s at A level. Meanwhile after 7 days a week of far more difficult and challenging work constantly throughout the year, I have barely attained a prediction of BBB.

I don't see how it is fair that 3 days of much easier and far more enjoyable work a week. Can almost DOUBLE the amount of ucas points of far more stressful, much more difficult A levels.

Now obviously I am happy for my friend, I am currently contemplating my life and why I didn't choose the same option as him. But how... HOW is this fair?

I have done just over 2x the work of easily 5x the difficulty and I am getting HALF THE REWARD?.

Now obviously I cannot change the entire UK education system. But I warn anybody considering A levels to read up on this and consider how much pain you will go through for such little reward. Do BTEC's.

If you work 7 days a week and get BBB it's you not the system that's wrong, you need to change the way you work

Also doing a BTEC vs A-levels depends on what subject (and where) you want to study

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by annieprincess
I agree, to be honest.

If I could go back, I'd do BTEC. I've always been good at coursework, and never have tested as well. I don't really know why I chose to do A Levels and not BTEC. I guess A Levels just sound better. The thing is, you can do relevant BTEC courses and end up in the same position as someone who has struggled through A Levels. A levels, for me, are a lot more stressful, no matter whether it's science subjects, maths or economics, or if its artsy or essay based subjects like English, History and Psychology.

A Levels aren't bad. I mean, they probably open more doors if you don't go to university than say a BTEC would do. You could end up at a fantastic university with your BTEC. D*D*D* is better, in my opinion, that getting BBB at A Level, and I'm pretty sure that whatever university you were looking for with BBB requirement would love to take you in with D*D*D*.

I think unless you're getting really good A Level grades (A*-B), then there's no point. That's if you're good with coursework, and could achieve DDD or above.

Although A Levels are seen as better by employers and universities, I honestly don't think it's worth the stress. I've cried over my A Levels, got countless amount of migraines over the stress and have already researched into clearing, in case I don't make my university choice.

I have been accepted to do both a BTec and A-Levels, what would you suggest I do? BTec would be in public services and a levels would be in history, maths, gov&pol, law.

Quick Reply