The Student Room Group

Stanford rapist serving only 3 months

Scroll to see replies

I think that a sentence should reflect the future costs to that persons life/career Etc

He was likely to have a good career and go onto be quite successful, he likely would have been a key contributor to the economy and statistically would have been unlikely to break many laws.

Therefore I think that enough damage has already been incurred because now his employment prospects are virtually non existent and his life is essentially ruined.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99
The guy had a clean criminal record, he had a bright future ahead of him, he only sexually asualted the girl because he was drunk, the girl was unconscious during the incident and he is still so young. I don't see why he deserves anything more than a light sentence. Having to go to prison has already ruined his life- he is unlikely to get a good job or find a wife. Six months is more than enough imo

Also, he is not a 'rapist'. The crime is sexual assault, which is separate to rape.

he destroyed his victim's life, and you care about HIS future? he should pay the price for the rest of his life. he is a danger to society and has commited a crime against humanity; his punishment does not suffice at all.
Original post by Ordo
With enough hard evidence, witnesses and lie detector should able to help to distinguish the truth and lie.

Did you actually just say we should use lie detectors to determine whether we should sentence people to death? I really, really hope you're not being serious. Lie detectors aren't used in court because THEY DON'T WORK. You might as well say we should bring in some fortune tellers to determine the culprit.

On topic though, I don't think his sentence is long enough but I really hate this democratisation of justice. Two people could commit the exact same crime under the exact same circumstances but get wildly different circumstances because one of them was unfortunate enough to become the latest social media bandwagon issue. If you find the sentencing that ridiculous, campaign for reform instead of making stupid petitions and Facebook posts.

Not to mention the fact that the social media bandwagon usually know about 1% of what actually happened, and 0% of how criminal sentencing actually works, so they should have absolutely no say.
Original post by tanyapotter
he destroyed his victim's life, and you care about HIS future? he should pay the price for the rest of his life. he is a danger to society and has commited a crime against humanity; his punishment does not suffice at all.

Justice shouldn't be about punishing people. How does locking him up for the rest of his life benefit the victim?

We imprison criminals (supposedly) to rehabilitate them and make them safe, productive members of society. Sometimes giving someone 10 years in prison will turn them into repeat offenders and total scumbags, where giving them 6 months will teach them a harsh lesson and they'll come out and go on to be functioning, normal people and never commit a crime again. Judges determine punishments based on what's best for society, not what satisfies their rage.
Original post by tanyapotter

In what way did he 'destroy his victims life'?

If we were to liken rape to physical assault, would you really argue that someone who got beaten up one night has had their life destroyed?

Especially if that person received huge publicity, the support of literally hundreds of thousands of people and the knowledge that their attacker will be permanently branded a criminal, long after their sentence is over?

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by JordanL_
Did you actually just say we should use lie detectors to determine whether we should sentence people to death? I really, really hope you're not being serious. Lie detectors aren't used in court because THEY DON'T WORK. You might as well say we should bring in some fortune tellers to determine the culprit.

On topic though, I don't think his sentence is long enough but I really hate this democratisation of justice. Two people could commit the exact same crime under the exact same circumstances but get wildly different circumstances because one of them was unfortunate enough to become the latest social media bandwagon issue. If you find the sentencing that ridiculous, campaign for reform instead of making stupid petitions and Facebook posts.

Not to mention the fact that the social media bandwagon usually know about 1% of what actually happened, and 0% of how criminal sentencing actually works, so they should have absolutely no say.

k then. I know lie detector wont work anyways.
Evidence (e.g. fingerprints) and witnesses
I didnt make any petitions and facebook posts.

I agree with what jake4198 said anyways. I understand it now. Death penalty send the wrong message to people thinking its ok to kill them who killed someone. We humans could make this world better by teaching other people the knowledge of good and evil.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Don Joiner

If we were to liken rape to physical assault, would you really argue that someone who got beaten up one night has had their life destroyed?

Especially if that person received huge publicity, the support of literally hundreds of thousands of people and the knowledge that their attacker will be permanently branded a criminal, long after their sentence is over?

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read her statement and then come back, please.
Original post by CuriosityKTMC
Read her statement and then come back, please.

I already had

Posted from TSR Mobile

So how can you post as if it hasn't ruined her life over the past year or so and won't continue to affect her, from her leaving her job to the fact that she's going to have to live with the trauma her whole life. Being sexually assualted is a whole lot more intimiately damaging than being beaten up. They are apples and oranges. This has ****ed up his life, but that's his fault also doesn't help her very much, considering he hasn't accepted responsibility.
Original post by CuriosityKTMC
So how can you post as if it hasn't ruined her life over the past year or so and won't continue to affect her, from her leaving her job to the fact that she's going to have to live with the trauma her whole life. Being sexually assualted is a whole lot more intimiately damaging than being beaten up. They are apples and oranges. This has ****ed up his life, but that's his fault also doesn't help her very much, considering he hasn't accepted responsibility.

I can't take your point about 'living with the trauma' because it seems that you're making the assumption that only rape can be a traumatic experience.

Yes being raped would be horrific. As would being assaulted. As would being robbed and so many other things. However you don't hear of people who were nearly killed in instances such as those having to live with the trauma.

We see this a lot and I think that there is a lot of bias towards rape in terms of its psychological impact however no other crime- no matter how horrible- attracts this kind of attention

Posted from TSR Mobile
If he was working class and black we all know how different the outcome would be. Disgusting.
The worst part is he's probably at a minimum security prison where they have table tennis and caviar

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

An extract from an open letter written by the rape victim:

"I used to pride myself on my independence, now I am afraid to go on walks in the evening, to attend social events with drinking among friends where I should be comfortable being. I have become a little barnacle always needing to be at someone’s side, to have my boyfriend standing next to me, sleeping beside me, protecting me. It is embarrassing how feeble I feel, how timidly I move through life, always guarded, ready to defend myself, ready to be angry.

You have no idea how hard I have worked to rebuild parts of me that are still weak. It took me eight months to even talk about what happened. I could no longer connect with friends, with everyone around me. I would scream at my boyfriend, my own family whenever they brought this up. You never let me forget what happened to me. At the of end of the hearing, the trial, I was too tired to speak. I would leave drained, silent. I would go home turn off my phone and for days I would not speak. You bought me a ticket to a planet where I lived by myself. Every time a new article come out, I lived with the paranoia that my entire hometown would find out and know me as the girl who got assaulted. I didn’t want anyone’s pity and am still learning to accept victim as part of my identity. You made my own hometown an uncomfortable place to be.

You cannot give me back my sleepless nights. The way I have broken down sobbing uncontrollably if I’m watching a movie and a woman is harmed, to say it lightly, this experience has expanded my empathy for other victims. I have lost weight from stress, when people would comment I told them I’ve been running a lot lately. There are times I did not want to be touched. I have to relearn that I am not fragile, I am capable, I am wholesome, not just livid and weak."

Come back when you're not belittling the victim's trauma at the hands of this scumbag.
I don't understand how he got 3 months?!

I know I need to approach everything I read online with skepticism, but seeing those giant ****ing eyes all over the internet knowing he'll be out soon is infuriating.
I can't take your point about 'living with the trauma' because it seems that you're making the assumption that only rape can be a traumatic experience.

Yes being raped would be horrific. As would being assaulted. As would being robbed and so many other things. However you don't hear of people who were nearly killed in instances such as those having to live with the trauma.

We see this a lot and I think that there is a lot of bias towards rape in terms of its psychological impact however no other crime- no matter how horrible- attracts this kind of attention

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never said the other's weren't traumatic, but being sexually assaulted is far more intimate. The reason people pay so much attention to the psychological impact of rape is because it does generally affect victims more - the person wasn't 'just' physically assaulting you; they were inside you.

Even if you are assuming the other crimes are equal in psychological impact, it's clear that being raped does tend to leave a permanent impact so in that case it should be argued for other cases, not diminished in rape cases.
(edited 7 years ago)

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps you should attempt to educate yourself, and research the psychological effects of sexual assault on victims. If you are really clueless for where to start, you might like to look into sexual assault and PTSD/ suicide. Should make for some easy night time reading.
And then come back after reading some review articles.

Although I can hazard a guess you'd rather stay in your ignorance. Or perhaps you're for some reason motivated to hold the incorrect belief that sexually assaulting another does not lead to long term damage. I wonder why that is?
(edited 7 years ago)
Imo,tThe guy was just a lad who went too far. He didn't even rape her, it was sexual assault. They were both drunk- they should have reconciled and moved on instead of causing such a huge issue about it,
Original post by JordanL_
Justice shouldn't be about punishing people. How does locking him up for the rest of his life benefit the victim?

We imprison criminals (supposedly) to rehabilitate them and make them safe, productive members of society. Sometimes giving someone 10 years in prison will turn them into repeat offenders and total scumbags, where giving them 6 months will teach them a harsh lesson and they'll come out and go on to be functioning, normal people and never commit a crime again. Judges determine punishments based on what's best for society, not what satisfies their rage.

This is hardly about the victim's or the public's rage. He raped a human being. 3 months of jail time is not a punishment fit for this crime.
Original post by Trapz99
The guy had a clean criminal record, he had a bright future ahead of him, he only sexually asualted the girl because he was drunk, the girl was unconscious during the incident and he is still so young. I don't see why he deserves anything more than a light sentence. Having to go to prison has already ruined his life- he is unlikely to get a good job or find a wife. Six months is more than enough imo

Also, he is not a 'rapist'. The crime is sexual assault, which is separate to rape.

He ONLY sexually assaulted someone?

You don't ONLY sexually assault someone.

Quick Reply

Latest