The Student Room Group

Stanford rapist serving only 3 months

Scroll to see replies

****ing ridiculous.
The judge said he didn't want to give him a longer sentence because it would have a "severe impact" on him. That's what prison's ****ing supposed to do. Ideally he wouldn't become mentally ill because that's just not taking care of his health but he clearly needs to learn especially if he was drunk because that will have been the basest level of his mind. The deeper the impact, the less likely he will rape again even if he is drunk.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Don Joiner
In what way did he 'destroy his victims life'?

If we were to liken rape to physical assault, would you really argue that someone who got beaten up one night has had their life destroyed?

Especially if that person received huge publicity, the support of literally hundreds of thousands of people and the knowledge that their attacker will be permanently branded a criminal, long after their sentence is over?

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you joking?
Original post by tanyapotter
This is hardly about the victim's or the public's rage. He raped a human being. 3 months of jail time is not a punishment fit for this crime.

But that's exactly what it's about.

What justification is there for a punishment if it's going to make him more likely to commit crimes in the future, and less likely to ever again be a productive member of society? How is it going to benefit the victim or anyone else? What are you achieving by locking him up for several years that you aren't achieving by locking him up for several months?
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
He ONLY sexually assaulted someone?

You don't ONLY sexually assault someone.

I said that that he only did it because of the fact that he was drunk. I was not using the word 'only ' in the way that you are implying. I meant that the only reason for him sexually assaulting here was because he was drunk and became unable to control his behaviour.
Original post by Trapz99
I said that that he only did it because of the fact that he was drunk. I was not using the word 'only ' in the way that you are implying. I meant that the only reason for him sexually assaulting here was because he was drunk and became unable to control his behaviour.

You don't some how turn into a criminal when you've had to much to drink, you CAN control your behaviour. Stop justifying his behaviour.
Original post by Jehaan
buzzfeed

yeah... no
You don't some how turn into a criminal when you've had to much to drink, you CAN control your behaviour. Stop justifying his behaviour.

But alcohol does lower your ability to control yourself and leads to reckless behaviour like assault or sexual assault. People do become criminals sometimes when they drink alcohol.

I'm not justifying what he has done- I agree that what he did was wrong- I just feel that people are inaccurately portraying as some sort of evil monster when, in fact, he was a perfectly normal guy who wrongly took the decision to drink large amounts of alcohol which caused him to commit this crime.
Original post by ADGWrigley
****ing ridiculous.
The judge said he didn't want to give him a longer sentence because it would have a "severe impact" on him. That's what prison's ****ing supposed to do. Ideally he wouldn't become mentally ill because that's just not taking care of his health but he clearly needs to learn especially if he was drunk because that will have been the basest level of his mind. The deeper the impact, the less likely he will rape again even if he is drunk.

This just isn't true, though. It can quite often have the opposite effect.

Results indicated that while on parole, offenders with the longest time served generallyhad higher recidivism rates than offenders with the shortest time served.

He'd be less significantly less likely to rape again if he were rehabilitated, but then people would kick off about prisons being "too soft" and all that *******s.
Original post by JordanL_

What justification is there for a punishment if it's going to make him more likely to commit crimes in the future, and less likely to ever again be a productive member of society? How is it going to benefit the victim or anyone else? What are you achieving by locking him up for several years that you aren't achieving by locking him up for several months?

Perhaps you need to think of the effect on crime on a more societal rather than individual level. Lighter sentencing for sexual crimes not only suggests leniency, even partial tolerance, but it also acts as a much weaker deterrent for future behaviour for other possible perpetrators. Not just Turner.

If an individual knows that the consequences for being found guilty of a crime are only light, they are more likely to commit the behavior than if the consequences are much harsher. On top of that light sentences suggest the crime isn't of a significant importance, which will also have negative repercussions for societal attitudes towards sexual assault.

Also btw, imprisonment is not just about rehabilitation, but also detainment of those who pose a current danger to society. A light sentence to an individual who refuses to even acknowledge that he committed assault is failing to protect society from future criminal behaviour. If you don't admit your guilt, you'll never rehabilitate. That should not be a reason to give him a lighter sentence. Refusing to accept guilt and a light sentence does not equate to better rehabilitation!
Original post by Trapz99
But alcohol does lower your ability to control yourself and leads to reckless behaviour like assault or sexual assault. People do become criminals sometimes when they drink alcohol.

I'm not justifying what he has done- I agree that what he did was wrong- I just feel that people are inaccurately portraying as some sort of evil monster when, in fact, he was a perfectly normal guy who wrongly took the decision to drink large amounts of alcohol which caused him to commit this crime.

You are an evil monster if you sexually assault someone. Sorry, but you are.

I'm not continuing on with this discussion now, goodbye.

If his sentence keeps getting shortened so easily, then surely this will make him more likely to commit the crime again, seeing as he now knows how lightly he can get off?
This doesn't relate to this incident per say but I thought I'd mention it;

29% of women said (in a 2013 survey) that they have had or continue to have rape fantasies

17% of the same group said that if 'their rapist was attractive they would not report the case to police'

An issue which I think is pertinent is that rape varies in severity depending on the attractiveness of the attacker, this has been found by multiple studies.

Now obviously I'm not saying rape is anything but horrific however I do think that when the rapist is unattractive or undesirable it is seen as a worse crime.

Another example is the rapist in Portugal ( I can't remember when) who committed a similar offence; there were thousands of tweets where people were saying things like 'why did she report him?' 'I would love to have been in her shoes' etc etc because the rapist was an attractive man

Just thought I'd throw that out there

Posted from TSR Mobile
This just isn't true, though. It can quite often have the opposite effect.

He'd be less significantly less likely to rape again if he were rehabilitated, but then people would kick off about prisons being "too soft" and all that *******s.

As someone who has studied forensic psychology, specifically in regards to sexual offending, I can strongly say that that is a very, very bold conclusion to draw, based on one study. You can just as easily find support for the opposite stance. Misuse of science to support your own agenda I'm seeing.
Original post by Don Joiner
This doesn't relate to this incident per say but I thought I'd mention it;

29% of women said (in a 2013 survey) that they have had or continue to have rape fantasies

17% of the same group said that if 'their rapist was attractive they would not report the case to police'

An issue which I think is pertinent is that rape varies in severity depending on the attractiveness of the attacker, this has been found by multiple studies.

Now obviously I'm not saying rape is anything but horrific however I do think that when the rapist is unattractive or undesirable it is seen as a worse crime.

Another example is the rapist in Portugal ( I can't remember when) who committed a similar offence; there were thousands of tweets where people were saying things like 'why did she report him?' 'I would love to have been in her shoes' etc etc because the rapist was an attractive man

Just thought I'd throw that out there

Posted from TSR Mobile

^^^

Don't feed the cretinous troll guys. Best we just ignore it like a bad smell in the room that will soon pass.
Original post by Twinpeaks
^^^

Don't feed the cretinous troll guys. Best we just ignore it like a bad smell in the room that will soon pass.

I literally quoted some facts and statistics without even adding my own opinion onto them and you call me a troll. Okay :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The girl was horribly wronged, and needs emotional support and understanding. But what's done to her is done. It can't be taken back or righted with a harsher sentence for the perpetrator.

What the perpetrator needs is not necessarily retribution, but to be pittied and rehabilitated. Yes, the sentence seems oddly short, but satisfying an urge for revenge by having him 'rot in prison' does what exactly? If 3 months and a spot on the sex offenders register ends up being enough to set him straight and protect society, why not that?
Original post by Dandaman1
The girl was horribly wronged, and needs emotional support and understanding. But what's done to her is done. It can't be taken back or righted with a harsher sentence for the perpetrator.

What the perpetrator needs is not necessarily retribution, but to be pittied and rehabilitated. Yes, the sentence seems oddly short, but satisfying an urge for revenge by having him 'rot in prison' does what exactly? If 3 months and a spot on the sex offenders register ends up being enough to set him straight and protect society, why not that?

What if it's not enough? What if he commits the crime again, because he's seen how easy it is for him to get away with it with little consequence?
Well here it is, if you're privileged, expect short prison sentences for the worst of crimes. Because this boy was a good swimmer and academic his actions are somehow excused, abhorrent actions by the judge. What the judge has done is basically said its bad to assault unconscious people but it doesn't matter because if you've got the cash and the brains you'll get a light sentence. America's criminal justice system...

P.S please stop suggesting execution, no civilised society should have execution, it hurts innocents and is way too good for rapists like this guy anyway.

So I'm assuming that you don't think a woman that's had sex when she's drunk can claim she's been raped as she did have control? (obviously not wasted).
There is a link between alcohol and violent crime whether it's rape or road death or stabbings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending