The Student Room Group

£65 Billion withdrawn from UK - Brexit ruining economy already

During April and March £65 Billion pulled out of the UK by investors. As you can see even the thought of Brexit is damaging the economy - and if we leave, well they'll probably pull out their funds all together as the Telegraph states. Fastest rate since the financial crisis

Honestly, when jobs are at risk, people's lives, I can tell I don't really care about "taking about control", not being homeless is a bit more important. It amazes me how so many people can push aside the economic argument to remain for some fantastical dream of "taking back control"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/billions-of-pounds-taken-out-of-the-british-economy-amid-fears-of-brexit-a7069786.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/07/investors-pull-cash-out-of-uk-assets-at-fastest-pace-since-finan/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why is this a surprise? There is obviously a short term loss which is foreseen from both sides and investors want to capitalise on it. You can't run a country like an amateur investor.
Reply 2
Original post by Jebedee
Why is this a surprise? There is obviously a short term loss which is foreseen from both sides and investors want to capitalise on it. You can't run a country like an amateur investor.

You tell him!
Reply 3
Original post by Jebedee

Exactly.

S&P and Moody's both predict that whilst Brexit would see an initial spate of capital leaving the country, they would expect the economy to stabilise within about 2 years and confidence to return, because fundamentally **** makes the UK a great place for investors doesn't have that much to do with it's EU membership.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jebedee

Right. So losing £8 billion a year to the EU is a tragedy that's destroying our country, but losing £65 billion is just a short term loss that we should pretend never happened.
Reply 5
Original post by JordanL_
Right. So losing £8 billion a year to the EU is a tragedy that's destroying our country, but losing £65 billion is just a short term loss that we should pretend never happened.

We're allowed 2 years grace before any trade is affected, by then we would have found more alternative sources of trade. Which will amount to more than £65m.
Original post by Jebedee

I don't think you read the articles properly. The investors and fund managers have stated that they are likely to withdraw all investments if there is a Brexit vote, this is just the beginning. Oh and the leave campaign is also killing their beloved British pound.
the great English lion will roar once more. I am fed up of these lefty do gooders talking England down. you say you hate the tories yet vote for their vested interests. show some bottle and conviction for a change. people will respect you more for it
I don't give a **** about these fund managers. they are parasites who make money from our misery. we need to make England a proud country with a good standard of living for the average person not the monied elite. the bottom line isn't all there is
Original post by neal95
I don't give a **** about these fund managers. they are parasites who make money from our misery. we need to make England a proud country with a good standard of living for the average person not the monied elite. the bottom line isn't all there is

It's not just England... Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are part of this country too...
Reply 10
Original post by Jebedee
We're allowed 2 years grace before any trade is affected, by then we would have found more alternative sources of trade. Which will amount to more than £65m.

Do you have anything to back this up or is it yet another baseless assertion?

Wait, I know the answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i need a small loan of a billion dollars.
Original post by Lord Samosa
It's not just England... Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are part of this country too...

well I only care about England the sooner freeloading Scotland get out of the union the better as far as I am concerned. we don't need their burden, especially when their nationalists want out. good luck to them I say, just don't come back if it goes to pot
Original post by neal95

Rambling nonsense. Being a "proud country" doesn't put food on the table. It's absurd how you somehow think you're going to increase standard of living by.......... throwing all the money out the country?????????
Rambling nonsense. Being a "proud country" doesn't put food on the table. It's absurd how you somehow think you're going to increase standard of living by.......... throwing all the money out the country?????????

It's absurd how you lot think we are going to die out if we leave Europe a stagnating bloc with dwindling importance in this day and age.
Original post by neal95
It's absurd how you lot think we are going to die out if we leave Europe a stagnating bloc with dwindling importance in this day and age.

Stagnating bloc? It's the biggest economy in the world and it's growing.

The overwhelming consensus among economists is that leaving the EU will be economically bad for us. What do you know that they don't?
Stagnating bloc? It's the biggest economy in the world and it's growing.

The overwhelming consensus among economists is that leaving the EU will be economically bad for us. What do you know that they don't?

They know jack **** mate. The same people told us we must join the euro or suffer. What happened? We are stronger than they ever have and alone we are the fifth biggest economy in the world. It's them dragging us down
Original post by *Stefan*
Do you have anything to back this up or is it yet another baseless assertion?

Wait, I know the answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://openeurope.org.uk/today/blog/the-mechanics-of-leaving-the-eu-explaining-article-50/

Whoops.
Reply 18
Original post by Proximo
Oh and the leave campaign is also killing their beloved British pound.

The pound has been steadily rising as a Brexit vote becomes more likely...
Reply 19
it's growing.

At the slowest rate on the planet, bar Antarctica.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending