The Student Room Group

Can l still have a chance to get into UCLA?

So far with my GCSE's l have a B average. Sadly, UCLA have students that have an A average...

Can my a-levels make up for my GCSE grades and can l do alot of extra curriculum...right nownim doing 5.

And im revising for my SAT as l want the highest possible score.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Could you maybe be a bit more specific about your GCSEs? Although I would agree that AS/A Level and SAT scores are much more important.

However, even more importantly, how do you fare on other aspects? How are your ECs? What's your financial situation like?
SAT/ACT scores combined with extra curriculars and I guess A levels will be significantly more important than GCSEs. Things like class rank are taken into account too normally. Try your best in GCSE, but yeah the others will be a lot more important.
Original post by Topo15
Could you maybe be a bit more specific about your GCSEs? Although I would agree that AS/A Level and SAT scores are much more important.

However, even more importantly, how do you fare on other aspects? How are your ECs? What's your financial situation like?

I got B's in all my GCSEs and a C which l asked to convert and they said its a 3.0 GPA and l was so upset.

But in my a-levels im doing well!!!!!

My financial situation is alright to be honest, l can pay like 1,000 dollars a month for my fees with my parents help.
Original post by Wahrheit
SAT/ACT scores combined with extra curriculars and I guess A levels will be significantly more important than GCSEs. Things like class rank are taken into account too normally. Try your best in GCSE, but yeah the others will be a lot more important.

I've done my GCSES and got B's.
Reply 5
Original post by the.chantele
I got B's in all my GCSEs and a C which l asked to convert and they said its a 3.0 GPA and l was so upset.

My financial situation is alright to be honest, l can pay like 1,000 dollars a month for my fees with my parents help.

I don't mean this in a bad way, but I really don't think you've researched what studying in the US entails.

While in no ways an automatic disqualifier (as GCSEs aren't really taken into account as much), you're GPA is actually slightly below 3.0, and being the most popular, and one of the most selective schools in the USA, I don't know if UCLA is a realistic goal.

But perhaps more pressingly, do you understand you would be expected to pay at least 60,000 dollars tuition per year, with no financial aid for non-US students?

I think it might be wiser to maybe look into studying in the UK - maintain your good grades yes, it sounds like you're doing really well - but I think finance will be a big barrier in the US unless your circumstances drastically change. Keep a positive attitude though. I'm sure you'll do great somewhere!

Good luck!
I've done my GCSES and got B's.

Ok fair enough, but yeah what others are saying has a lot of truth anyway, see how well you do in SATs, don't get caught up on any one university too, there's lots of amazing places to study.
Original post by Topo15
I don't mean this in a bad way, but I really don't think you've researched what studying in the US entails.

While in no ways an automatic disqualifier (as GCSEs aren't really taken into account as much), you're GPA is actually slightly below 3.0, and being the most popular, and one of the most selective schools in the USA, I don't know if UCLA is a realistic goal.

But perhaps more pressingly, do you understand you would be expected to pay at least 60,000 dollars tuition per year, with no financial aid for non-US students?

I think it might be wiser to maybe look into studying in the UK - maintain your good grades yes, it sounds like you're doing really well - but I think finance will be a big barrier in the US unless your circumstances drastically change. Keep a positive attitude though. I'm sure you'll do great somewhere!

Good luck!

So theres no scholarships l can get?
Reply 8
So theres no scholarships l can get?

Unfortunately none exist for non-US students for UCLA.
Original post by Topo15
Unfortunately none exist for non-US students for UCLA.

So basically with grade B's in GCSE and A's in A-levels along with extra curriculum and good SAT score, l kiss me going UCLA goodbye😓😢

Thanks for your comment though.
Reply 10
So basically with grade B's in GCSE and A's in A-levels along with extra curriculum and good SAT score, l kiss me going UCLA goodbye😓😢

It would seem that way :frown:

I suppose one option would be to look into other colleges that offer financial aid, but they are also ultracompetitive, and many students who have straight A*s and near perfect SATs get rejected ( or hope for a lottery win :biggrin:). Good luck!

Study hard, ace the SAT, kill the A-level, and take a shot at UCLA. With those grades, UCLA would rank as a reach. You never know what's going to happen. Worst case scenario, you qualify for other good schools and are down 80USD and time for filling out the application.

If you are worried about your financial situation though, don't apply. Uni in the US is a very expensive venture, and there rarely are cheap options (especially in California where quality of life is higher compared to other areas). Having family to live with can help ease some of the burden, but tuition is still a pain to cover.
Original post by Topo15

Good luck!

How can you say that? There is no conversion for UK qualifications to GPA
Original post by Student403
How can you say that? There is no conversion for UK qualifications to GPA

I emailed the university and they converted my ( GCSEs and they came up to a 3.0 GPA but what l didn't know is that l can submit more that 5 GCSEs😪

Read previous messages to see which uni*
I emailed the university and they converted my ( GCSEs and they came up to a 3.0 GPA but what l didn't know is that l can submit more that 5 GCSEs😪

Read previous messages to see which uni*

May I see this email?
May I see this email?

This is copied from the email:

"Hello Chantele,

We would use a concordance table to determine IGCSE scores to letter grades. A “C” result would be equivalent to a “B” on a 4.0 scalse. 5 Cs would calculate to a 3.0 GPA.

Regards,"

*I dont do IGCSE but l told them so yeah.
This is copied from the email:

"Hello Chantele,

We would use a concordance table to determine IGCSE scores to letter grades. A “C” result would be equivalent to a “B” on a 4.0 scalse. 5 Cs would calculate to a 3.0 GPA.

Regards,"

*I dont do IGCSE but l told them so yeah.

And this was UCLA admissions?
And this was UCLA admissions?

No.
No.

Who was it from?
Who was it from?

Loyola marymount uni

Quick Reply

Latest