The Student Room Group

King's College London or Trinity College Dublin?

Hi everyone,
I've received an offer earlier this year to study Business at King's College for next year and I've sent my application to Trinity too.
Since I'm from France, I've applied through the CAO system which only lets me know in August whether or not I'm in. I'm really interested in both schools and I can't make up my mind. I'd gladly hear your advices!
Also, since I'm applying to both England and Ireland, I don't know if I'm allowed to put King's as my firm choice on UCAS. I have to in order to apply for accommodation but I don't want to say I'll definitely go before I have an answer from Trinity. Do you guys know if I'm allowed to put King's as my first choice and then go to Trinity if it all works out? I'm guessing that if King's if my first choice on UCAS then I have to study there next year but I can't make a decision before knowing all my options!

Thank you!!! :h:
Original post by maddyfr
Hi everyone,
I've received an offer earlier this year to study Business at King's College for next year and I've sent my application to Trinity too.
Since I'm from France, I've applied through the CAO system which only lets me know in August whether or not I'm in. I'm really interested in both schools and I can't make up my mind. I'd gladly hear your advices!
Also, since I'm applying to both England and Ireland, I don't know if I'm allowed to put King's as my firm choice on UCAS. I have to in order to apply for accommodation but I don't want to say I'll definitely go before I have an answer from Trinity. Do you guys know if I'm allowed to put King's as my first choice and then go to Trinity if it all works out? I'm guessing that if King's if my first choice on UCAS then I have to study there next year but I can't make a decision before knowing all my options!

Thank you!!! :h:

If you put Kings as your firm on UCAS that only stops you from accepting another offer *via UCAS*. You're absolutely allowed to have other offers outside UCAS from other countries.

It's good manners to let universities know as soon as possible if you accept an offer but then decide to go elsewhere but there's no penalties.

Have a look at what you agree to when you apply for accommodation - unless you're paying a deposit then it usually isn't binding (and even then the most you'll lose is your deposit!).
I'd avoid TCD and go with KCL. TCD has been dropping like a stone in reputation and has a lot of problems recently (I was there myself there last year and got out with repayment of fees after some horrible maladministration nearly cost me my fees). Also accommodation situation is out of control in Dublin - same prices as I paid at UCL during an exchange year but for a far worse flat, and only after avoiding several scams, some I nearly fell into, that they seem to be doing nothing about in Ireland (when I arrived there were students camped out in the Student Union office whose housing turned out not to exist and they are constantly putting out desperate requests for help for such students)
I'd go with KCL
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
If you put Kings as your firm on UCAS that only stops you from accepting another offer *via UCAS*. You're absolutely allowed to have other offers outside UCAS from other countries.

It's good manners to let universities know as soon as possible if you accept an offer but then decide to go elsewhere but there's no penalties.

Have a look at what you agree to when you apply for accommodation - unless you're paying a deposit then it usually isn't binding (and even then the most you'll lose is your deposit!).

Thank you so much for all the infos! What would be 'as soon as possible' to let them know?
Thanks again!
Original post by maddyfr
Thank you so much for all the infos! What would be 'as soon as possible' to let them know?
Thanks again!

As soon as you're sure.
Reply 6
Original post by Joseph Molto
I'd avoid TCD and go with KCL. TCD has been dropping like a stone in reputation and has a lot of problems recently (I was there myself there last year and got out with repayment of fees after some horrible maladministration nearly cost me my fees). Also accommodation situation is out of control in Dublin - same prices as I paid at UCL during an exchange year but for a far worse flat, and only after avoiding several scams, some I nearly fell into, that they seem to be doing nothing about in Ireland (when I arrived there were students camped out in the Student Union office whose housing turned out not to exist and they are constantly putting out desperate requests for help for such students)

Good to know... However, are the students halls the same? Since many colleges are using them, I'm assuming they're in good condition..?
How did you like your experience at TCD anyway??
Thank you!!
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
As soon as you're sure.

Yeah i'm guessing that's the only possible option actually... Thanks!
Go with KCL.TCD can`t even be put in the same sentence as the other uni when it comes to ranking and reputation. KCL>TCD.
Reply 9
Original post by Kadak
Go with KCL.TCD can`t even be put in the same sentence as the other uni when it comes to ranking and reputation. KCL>TCD.

I'm actually a bit worried about the atmosphere of London... Isn't it too busy and crowded? And way too expensive?
Original post by maddyfr
I'm actually a bit worried about the atmosphere of London... Isn't it too busy and crowded? And way too expensive?

It is very friendly though.Studying in London is an advantage in itself since it is a global city where you meet people from all over the world.It is expensive but manageable.
Reply 11
Original post by Kadak
It is very friendly though.Studying in London is an advantage in itself since it is a global city where you meet people from all over the world.It is expensive but manageable.

Yeah that's what I've been thinking but since the fees might go up and if the Brexit happens, i'd have to pay much much more...
Reply 12
Original post by maddyfr
Yeah that's what I've been thinking but since the fees might go up and if the Brexit happens, i'd have to pay much much more...

Brexit won't directly affect current or near future student fees. It will take a while to make any changes to EU student arrangements, if it happens at all.

Also, re university halls, you are usually only in them for your first year. After that you make your own accommodation arrangements in the private sector, often with some friends. This would apply to Trinity too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I've heard fantastic things about King's, I've seen it from the outside but I haven't been inside, London is expensive but you'll be meeting people from across the globe.
I've visited both, trinity college is fantastic and is a sister school to Cambridge university, steeped in history (as is King's) founded in the 1500's with a very admiral alumni - Oscar Wilde, Samuel Beckett, Edmund Burke, W.B Yeats and even Hozier! additionally Dublin is an exceptionally beautiful city and personally it is my favourite!
Kings however is similarly very prestigious and the city of London has much to offer, the prices of living in London may be substantially more expensive but you are getting your money's worth through a world-class education! alumni include Thomas Hardy, Alan Rickman, John keats!

Quick Reply

Latest