The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Sport Science & Human Physiology OR Law (At University of Leeds)

Hello!
I have an offer to study at the University of Leeds for Physiology and Sport Science after not getting in to my dream uni (KCL) for Physiotherapy. I was hoping that I could use Physiology & Sport Science to do an Msc in Physiotherapy to get in to the sports industry of Physio more easily or to do something like Biology teaching.

However, I've heard a lot of negative things about Sport Science as a subject on its own (I wouldn't want to do a pure Human Physiology degree) and its made me question whether Law would be a more worthwhile degree to do (I'm very good at English Literature and have been told by numerous teachers that law would be good for me, plus lots of my family have done Law)

My main questions really are:
1) Is Sport Science a worthy degree? I know its not my whole degree its just I've met people who have told me that now they're working in admin/recruitment, ect.. and don't use their degree. I'm just concerned that there wont be many jobs available.
2) Has anyone gone on from Sport Science to Physiotherapy Msc and gotten in to the sports industry? Whilst I enjoyed my work placement with the NHS I don't think its an area of Physiotherapy I'd want to work in, unless I was working in Paediatrics

3) Does anyone at Uni of Leeds currently do either of the two subjects?

Thanks a lot, I'm just panicking as exams are approaching I want to make sure I make the right decision before September!!! :smile:
Reply 1
BUMP
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Bump
Ive accepted a place for sport science and physiology, what grades did you get at As. A2 predicted and GCSEs if you don't mind me asking
Reply 4
Original post by 09johnsonda
Ive accepted a place for sport science and physiology, what grades did you get at As. A2 predicted and GCSEs if you don't mind me asking

AS - AAAC
A2 - A*A*AB (probably will get A*AAC tbh)
GCSEs: I only got A's and B's because I was in hospital for most of them

You??
Reply 5
Original post by Jasminem97
AS - AAAC
A2 - A*A*AB (probably will get A*AAC tbh)
GCSEs: I only got A's and B's because I was in hospital for most of them

You??

Firstly, every degree is useless, it just depends what you do with it. You could argue the reason people who have graduated with a sport science degree that now work in recruitment is down to the lack of available jobs out there. However, it doesn't mean that there aren't opportunities out there.
You could also say that the reason people have studied sport science and then gone onto working in recruitment is because either:
1) They didn't apply themselves enough
2) They choose a degree without knowing what it can lead to
3) The didn't connect or look for opportunities in time.

I graduated a year ago from university with a degree in sport science. I now work at St George's University Hospital as an exercise facilitator. I plan on going back into study in areas of physiology. But I have had a lot of friends who have done sport science and have or are doing pre reg physio msc or sport rehab.

Best tips are to just apply yourself as much as you can. Get to know your lecturers and ask what opportunities are out there. Connect with people outside of university. Work hard and get a good grade. If everyone goes in with the idea that a 2:1 is enough, aim for a 1st and stand out. Grades are obviously not everything, but every little helps.

It is such an amazing degree with so many different angles and specialties.

Quick Reply

Latest