The Student Room Group

Will there be a general election before Christmas?

if we leave the EU (which I hope we don't) will david Cameron resign or will there be a vote of no confidence. will this lead to a general election??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lascelles101
if we leave the EU (which I hope we don't) will david Cameron resign or will there be a vote of no confidence. will this lead to a general election??

If the Leave campaign win, yes Cameron will either resign or be forced out. There would then be an election within the Conservative party to find a new leader, who would then be Prime Minister. My father believes that if that were the case, the public should push for a general election, but who knows what will happen?
Original post by CatusStarbright
If the Leave campaign win, yes Cameron will either resign or be forced out. There would then be an election within the Conservative party to find a new leader, who would then be Prime Minister. My father believes that if that were the case, the public should push for a general election, but who knows what will happen?

yes I believe so too. it would be undemocratic to not have an election

Especially since the party leader is the face of the election campaign and most people mainly vote for who they want as Prime Minister.
Reply 4
I doubt if there will be an election. When Thatcher fell in 1990 there was no election until 1992 when the term expired

Why would it be undemocratic? The Conservative Party won the election, not David Cameron.

I find it hard to imagine out winning would make DC step down

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-36467169

The BBC have an article on exactly this subject
Original post by Underscore__
Why would it be undemocratic? The Conservative Party won the election, not David Cameron.

I find it hard to imagine out winning would make DC step down

Posted from TSR Mobile

What this man said.

Incidentally, even if he stood down, it would not mean a general election, he could just hand over the reigns to Boris (heaven forbid).
If Johnson becomes prime minister, there are good reasons why he might go to the election. he has been saying months, about how politics should be about the sovereignty of the British people to choose policies and leaders.
and also because of the fixed term parliament act 2011 states: That this House has no confidence in Her Majesty’s Government.”

(5)

The form of motion for the purposes of subsection (3)(b) is—
“That this House has confidence in Her Majesty’s Government.”

(6)

Subsection (7) applies for the purposes of the Timetable in rule 1 in Schedule 1 to the Representation of the People Act 1983.

(7)

If a parliamentary general election is to take place as provided for by subsection (1) or (3), the polling day for the election is to be the day appointed by Her Majesty by proclamation on the recommendation of the Prime Minister (and, accordingly, the appointed day replaces the day which would otherwise have been the polling day for the next election determined under section 1).
this means that if there is a vote of no confidence, then there is a chance of a early election
Reply 9

Actually, a lot of Conservative MPs have said that in the event of an out vote that they'd want Cameron to stay put to manage it.
Original post by CatusStarbright

Not only would it be the right thing to do to hold another election (if someone was simply appointed to the ministry they used to immediately have to stand in a byelection and get re-elected), but they would probably wise to do so.

Labour is weak now, its leader is a fool. They can't count on that staying the case until 2020. And in the current parliamentary configuration the cabinet has been repeatedly forced to U-turn because of their very thin majority. They should make an effort to increase it
Original post by Elivercury

Incidentally, even if he stood down, it would not mean a general election, he could just hand over the reigns to Boris (heaven forbid).

The guy holds no political office. I don't think handing the reigns of power to an unemployed man will go down well with the electorate.
Original post by Quantex
The guy holds no political office. I don't think handing the reigns of power to an unemployed man will go down well with the electorate.

The electorate voted for the conservatives, if they appoint a new leader then that is perfectly within their remit, much like Labor did with Blair to Brown.

Sure, the electorate might be pissed, but they won't be able to do anything for another 4 years.

I'm also unsure that it is a requirement for the leader to be an elected MP? I mean, Nicola is head of the SNP but she is an MSP, not an MP. Although I understand this is something of a different situation than Boris who is just sat there looking like a prat.
Original post by Quantex

He's MP for Uxbridge and South Ruislip and Minister without portfolio.

While Cameron can't just hand the reigns over, there's no fathomable reason why Boris couldn't be among those looking to succeed him.
Original post by Drewski
He's MP for Uxbridge and South Ruislip and Minister without portfolio.

While Cameron can't just hand the reigns over, there's no fathomable reason why Boris couldn't be among those looking to succeed him.

Genuinely had no idea that he'd been elected as an MP at last election. I still think of him as the (ex) mayor.
Original post by Quantex
Genuinely had no idea that he'd been elected as an MP at last election. I still think of him as the (ex) mayor.

He was both for 6 months, hence the Minister without Portfolio - he attends cabinet meetings but isn't directly responsible for anything. I did half expect that to change at the last reshuffle, but he's got his eyes on something else...
Even with the divisions in the Conservative Party you can't see them losing any seats going up against Jeremy Corbyn.
If a new leader decides there's an opportunity to increase the Tory majority then I could see one happening. If I remember correctly 2/3 of the House of Commons has to approve the call for a General Election.
Why would it matter?

If we leave the EU all chaos will erupt and the UK will probably end up in a war against Russia

Cameron will only resign if he cannot take the UK out of the EU following a leave outcome.

Either way the vote goes, a VONC will be called but it won't pass.

There is one thing for sure - there will be numerous resignations within the cabinet, whatever the outcome, for those who cannot accept the result.
Original post by Kieran1996
Why would it matter?

If we leave the EU all chaos will erupt and the UK will probably end up in a war against Russia

What.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending