The Student Room Group

Girl I'm interested has invited me to meet her parents. Really stressed out.

Why would she want me to meet her parents?

Apparently it's a realy fancy restaurant and I need to wear a tuxedo. I'm really stressing out.
What's the point of stressing out?

It could mean anything, depending on the context.
Original post by Anonymous
Why would she want me to meet her parents?

Apparently it's a realy fancy restaurant and I need to wear a tuxedo. I'm really stressing out.

Clearly you re important to her :smile: just be polite and friendly and I m sure it will go well.
Reply 3
Original post by BristolFresher15
What's the point of stressing out?

It could mean anything, depending on the context.

Because her dad is extremely strict and I know for a fact he has high standards. I'm worried that if I slip up I won't be able to date his daughter. He's Jewish as well and I'm not...
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
Clearly you re important to her :smile: just be polite and friendly and I m sure it will go well.

We've known eachother for a couple years now. We've had little moments together, but she's only recently moved to my hometown. I think she might be wanting to get to the next step. This'll be the first time I meet her parents.
We've known eachother for a couple years now. We've had little moments together, but she's only recently moved to my hometown. I think she might be wanting to get to the next step. This'll be the first time I meet her parents.

A little nerves is normal when meeting the parents but there's nothing for you to worry about I m sure :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
A little nerves is normal when meeting the parents but there's nothing for you to worry about I m sure :smile:

She also wants to come round mine to 'get changed' which is weird lol
She also wants to come round mine to 'get changed' which is weird lol

That's possibly a emuptheism, could be wrong though :tongue:
Because her dad is extremely strict and I know for a fact he has high standards. I'm worried that if I slip up I won't be able to date his daughter. He's Jewish as well and I'm not...

If you worry you'll have a higher chance of slipping up. Just take it in your stride.
Be a gentleman and you will be fine.
You're only human; I'm sure they'll realise that.

As long as you don't wear a tuxedo with the nazi symbol on it, I'm sure you'll be fine.

(And you're clearly very important to her. :wink:)

Lol I wrote the nazi part before I read that he is Jewish. How ironic / what a coincidence.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can we play truth or dare before u go meet them?:colone:
Be yourself and it'll be fine. Her coming to change at yours well..... It'll relieve the stress :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

first make sure you are presentable, then ake sure you shake hands with the mother and father, referring to them by their surname. a key to eating a resturant is table etiqite. hold your knife and for properly.
bar this and acting natural, it should be fie. the girl obviously believes you can impress them, so do so
Original post by XcitingStuart
You're only human; I'm sure they'll realise that.

As long as you don't wear a tuxedo with the nazi symbol on it, I'm sure you'll be fine.

(And you're clearly very important to her. :wink:)

Lol I wrote the nazi part before I read that he is Jewish. How ironic / what a coincidence.

Why is it clear that I am?

I wouldn't dare offend him. One foot out of line and I won't be able to see her again.
What if, the parents heard her mention you often, so they ask to meet you?

Maybe she even asked if she could date you.

I can't imagine this much fuss for anyone classed as just a friend. Just do your best, try not to panic, that's all you can do.
Just a few suggestions, but just be yourself, they have been in you're position before:

Call them sir and madam/ Mr. and Mrs. until they tell you otherwise
Shake the fathers hand if he offers it
Manners (don't use your phone at the table)
They may ask you what you are planning to do i the future so have an idea of what you are going to say
Casual convo i.e. no religion, politics, money etc.
Get there on time
Offer to split the bill (they are highly unlikely to let you, but take some money anyway, it shows that you are a gentleman)
Possibly flowers for the mum (may be a bit of a hassel in a restaurant)

All they want to know is that their little girl in happy and being well treated.You'll be fine just smile and be yourself. She obviously thinks you are ready to meet them.

Quick Reply

Latest