The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tinka99
I have learning difficulties and sitting my GCSE's this year and if I did not get 25% extra time, a reader and a quieter room I would fail as I generally am disadvantaged.

Well that's you isn't it? If you failed, you failed. You can't just get extra time and help just to make sure you don't fail. Exams need to be fair for everyone. Everyone is benefited with extra time. I just dorm find it fair. Please don't take this personally.
Original post by surina16
no. Most of the people don't deserve it and fail the tests on purpose, but because it's such a stupid system, they get granted the extra time, do amazingly well in all their exams, and then boost up the grade boundaries for the rest.
I also agree with the above posts about no extra time at any other point in life.

completely agree with you here!
We take tests in year 9 - without knowing why - that determine if we are qualified for extra time or a laptop. If something happens between then and the exams, adjustments are made as necessary. I think my best example is one of my closest friends. She is one of the brightest people in my year but qualifies for extra time in writing exams and any she can she uses a laptop for. This isn't because she is slow, or stupid, or cheating the system, it's because she cannot process the information in front of her with the speed that other people can.

If you are against laptops then just like consider life. How often is your employer going to make you write a report out by hand?

This entire thread seems to be ableism at it's worst. If you have the skills you are looking for, an employer will most likely make adjustments to let you work there. Even at universities - I know someone with CFS that is allowed rest breaks throughout her exams. She is intelligent enough to do the work, just not always physically capable.
Original post by truemiscer
no, as you don't get extra for a job and you cannot compare like for like between people.

Equality Act and 'reasonable adaptations' anyone ... exactly the smae legal processes at play ...
Most the people who get extra time in my school have absolutely nothing wrong with them and the only reason they have it is because they have the balls to go to the doctors and a signed form that their hand hurts after 5 minutes of writing (doesn't it for all of us x) - - I know that is a complete generalisation but that is my experience at school and it pisses me off.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gcsestudent3856
Well that's you isn't it? If you failed, you failed. You can't just get extra time and help just to make sure you don't fail. Exams need to be fair for everyone. Everyone is benefited with extra time. I just dorm find it fair. Please don't take this personally.

Except... you can get extra time and help.

Exams aren't "fair" if people are put at a disadvantage because of a disability. It seems like people are just super salty because they do badly in exams and wish they could get extra time too.
Original post by ewitsvicky
Yeah extra timed is fair on people with a certain disability but I think they should be more careful with who they give extra time (some people don't even need it since they have no disability ... they're literally given more time because they have bad grades and then there's some people who really need it but aren't given any attention as their disability isn't as known or serious ... I don't think there should be exceptions in extra time or putting one disability over others tbh if you're gonna do something at least do it right ....

You don't get extra time for bad grades. And how would you know they have a disability or not? Just because they don't disclose it to you, it doesn't mean they don't have a disability.

Some of you really have no idea what you're talking about. You only get extra time if they feel you need it. I, for example, get extra time because I'm partially sighted. I also need rest breaks because my impairment causes chronic tiredness as well. I would also get extra time in listening exams because I'm slightly deaf and have a listening disability.
Original post by Tinka99
I have ADHD and Autism also have a slow writing speed.

Everyone starts off with really slow writing speed! You just have to practice! I personally had really really slow writing, but after practice and practice and more practice, I can write really fast now. Extra time is so unfair.
If you get extra time, we should all get extra time. Everything need practice. If you read too slow, you need to read more often.

They should really stop this stupid system !!!
Everyone starts off with really slow writing speed! You just have to practice! I personally had really really slow writing, but after practice and practice and more practice, I can write really fast now. Extra time is so unfair.
If you get extra time, we should all get extra time. Everything need practice. If you read too slow, you need to read more often.

Lol

Let's shut down the NHS, you've cracked it. People just need to practice away their disabilities. Stupid doctors, what do they know anyway???????
Original post by Tinka99
Without that extra time I would never be able to get 10 A*-C grades in my mocks and my likely fail the real thing. In employment, reasonable adjustments can be made according to the equality act 2010. I can't write fast and it's not my fault.

It is your fault. Everything needs practice
So what's the point in taking exams? If it's not testing everyone's abilities? They are getting helped, so there's no point in taking exams if they get help.

You have to consider what the student with extra time has to go thorugh in order to answer the exam questions. For you and every other student may think that giving extra time is wrong and unfair, but its not, because think about what the student is going through, the struggle and sometimes even pain they have to go through just to answer questions which you and I can do with greater ease. Granted, some may take advantage of this, but many are genuinely in need of extra time because they do not have the ability to do the exam like everyone else. They do not have power over what they have, they cannot help the fact that its hard to either read, understand or simply write the answer. For us extra time may be unfair, but for many it is fighting themselves in order to succeed.
Original post by Tiger Rag
You don't get extra time for bad grades. And how would you know they have a disability or not? Just because they don't disclose it to you, it doesn't mean they don't have a disability.

Some of you really have no idea what you're talking about. You only get extra time if they feel you need it. I, for example, get extra time because I'm partially sighted. I also need rest breaks because my impairment causes chronic tiredness as well. I would also get extra time in listening exams because I'm slightly deaf and have a listening disability.

Yes many people get extra time because they actually need it but I know people who actually get extra time because they're not doing that well ... they've admitted to it and haven't been diagnosed with anything that would give them a reason to use extra time
I get extra time in exams
no its completely unfair and should not be allowed
So what's the point in taking exams? If it's not testing everyone's abilities? They are getting helped, so there's no point in taking exams if they get help.

so what should they be left while others get to go uni because they do not have a disability. please.
Original post by oreoprincess
You have to consider what the student with extra time has to go thorugh in order to answer the exam questions. For you and every other student may think that giving extra time is wrong and unfair, but its not, because think about what the student is going through, the struggle and sometimes even pain they have to go through just to answer questions which you and I can do with greater ease. Granted, some may take advantage of this, but many are genuinely in need of extra time because they do not have the ability to do the exam like everyone else. They do not have power over what they have, they cannot help the fact that its hard to either read, understand or simply write the answer. For us extra time may be unfair, but for many it is fighting themselves in order to succeed.

Well I'm just saying that it's unfair because everyone are fighting to succeed and everyone struggles in their exam. If they struggle, then they should accept it and be like everyone else. Because I really don't think this is fair.
For some, yes.
Others who get it the week before the exam, no.
Original post by salty670
no its completely unfair and should not be allowed

Agreed !
Well I'm just saying that it's unfair because everyone are fighting to succeed and everyone struggles in their exam. If they struggle, then they should accept it and be like everyone else. Because I really don't think this is fair.

Your struggles as a non-disabled student are completely different. You just sound bitter.
I think it is because it aims to level the playing field. There are very few other situations other than exams where you will be forced to write an essay in say an hour or so, so saying you wouldn't get extra time after that isn't applicable. Most employers would be willing to make reasonable adjustments for you to do your work and at university you can get things like extra time or something like a cover to excuse your spelling (if you are dyslexic).

Some people abuse the system but that doesn't mean the system is wrong, it means that it just needs some work. I get a live speaker for my languages exams because my hearing isn't great, whilst it is an advantage over others (they speak much slower than the tape), I do need it. My brain takes a lot longer to process sound and by the time I've figured out the answer I've missed out three questions. It allows me to get the grade I'm capable of.

Just because someone struggles to put their thoughts on paper it doesn't mean that they don't deserve the chance to get the A* or whatever they studied for, just like everyone else.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest