The Student Room Group

Edexcel Biology (Unofficial) B2 Mark Scheme.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
What do you think you'll need for an A*? I think I lost like 10 marks - though I'm not sure (the six marker on the heart threw me a little!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by caitlinford3
I said that because group B and C were increasing in population, they were predators for group A mammals or taking their food/habitats. I said something about climate change too.

Could you also say that the mammals between the groups might mate and not have the same characteristics as their predecessors in group A?
Reply 42
Original post by zoeolo
What do you think you'll need for an A*? I think I lost like 10 marks - though I'm not sure (the six marker on the heart threw me a little!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year it was around the 54 mark? Although that might have been for Chemistry??
Reply 43
Original post by htkta
Yeah.. Mixed feelings I guess. The whole DNA extraction section I didn't like either, just because there's barely anything on it in the science textbooks :s-smilie:

For the dna 3 mark which said why do you use detergent solution and use crushed up peas I said u use a solution of detergent and salt to break down cell membranes and release dna and for the crushed part i just made up stuff using chemistry saying crushed up means larger surface area
Original post by Asfand786
I put down 17, but idk if its right, some people put 18 and some put 15 but it was about an estimate so idk

I also wrote 17
Reply 45
Original post by ARK_REVISES
I also wrote 17

i put 19 it said estimate anyway
Original post by keepyourapology
Could you also say that the mammals between the groups might mate and not have the same characteristics as their predecessors in group A?

Maybe but noooo idea I'm not a walking mark scheme:wink:

Original post by bue34 c
For the dna 3 mark which said why do you use detergent solution and use crushed up peas I said u use a solution of detergent and salt to break down cell membranes and release dna and for the crushed part i just made up stuff using chemistry saying crushed up means larger surface area

oh damnnnnn I didn't think of surface area! I just said it exposes the nucleus better so the detergent is more effective
Reply 47
Original post by bue34 c

For the detergent I said that the detergent breaks the cell and nuclei open so that it can release DNA, and for the crushed part I just said it being crushed means that the detergent will absorb easier but that's a load of waffle on my behalf..
Reply 48
i was originally aiming for an a* in biology I need it for a level, now i think a if I'm lucky, damn u edexcel!!!!!!
What was the question that had an answer of 42 about?
Reply 50
There was a graph showing the effects of light intensity on photosynthesis towards the end? For that I just said other limiting factors such as carbon dioxide might have affected the rate of photosynthesis? What did everyone else put?
how much was the watson and crick question out of? i got the people mixed up :frown:
Original post by htkta
There was a graph showing the effects of light intensity on photosynthesis towards the end? For that I just said other limiting factors such as carbon dioxide might have affected the rate of photosynthesis? What did everyone else put?

i said that and substrate and active sites being full
Reply 53
Original post by NextGenRemix
What was the question that had an answer of 42 about?

It asked you to estimate the next result and basically the numbers in the second half all went up by 7 so you had to add 7 to 35
Reply 54
after the anaerobic for yeast question i think the question about yeast with sugar was next which asked you to say an estimate for the volume of carbon dioxide for tube ...(can't remember name of tube sorry) then it said describe the concentration of carbon dioxide in the time i think, then it was suggest reasons for differences
Original post by htkta
It asked you to estimate the next result and basically the numbers in the second half all went up by 7 so you had to add 7 to 35

I think i got 17 for that one? Did others get that too?
Reply 56
Original post by NextGenRemix
I think i got 17 for that one? Did others get that too?

I got 19, but adding 7 doesn't make sense with the question because for the sucrose one it was a pattern, likewise i assumed the lactose one would also be a pattern
Reply 57
Did anyone answer the 1st 6 mark question about the artery disease thing and how it affected the heart/body cells??
I flopped so bad 😑
Reply 58
For the fossil question, I wrote about how some mammals in group A became extinct, and some mammals didn't fossilise (soft body tissues, and decomposition) and that caused the population to go Down. However, looking at this thread is making me panic because I never wrote about natural selection :frown:
My answers that I think are right:

For minimum number of bases, I got 630*3=1890

For the fossil groups, I got D as extinct. A's decrease in estimated population between 10-7m years ago was caused by:

C evolving to prey on A

Dead A's did not fossilize

Not all of A's fossils were found

For the mutation one, where a base pair is changed, I got that the protein is changed because a different amino acid would be made in the polypeptide chain. This causes it to fold differently, and make a misshapen protein.

For the Meiosis - Mitosis difference one, I got it as:

Meiosis produces genetically different daughter cells, Mitosis produces identical

Meiosis produces 1 pair of chromosomes in the daughter cell, Mitosis produces 2 pairs

Meiosis produces 4 daughter cells, Mitosis produces 2. There are more points that I didn't write

For the coronary artery one, I got the following:

The narrower artery is on the left ventricle. By it being narrow, the muscles receive less oxygen and glucose, and will be worker weaker.

The ventricle will not be able to contract as strongly as before, causing less heart pressure

This will cause a weaker heart, and decrease the cardiac output

This means that the less blood will be going throughout the body, meaning more anaerobic respiration when exercising

There will be more lactic acid left over

There will be a longer excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC) (didn't actually write it, just realized it now)

For the recognizing the blood vessel on the labelled diagram, I'm pretty sure it was the pulmonary vein

For the Watson and Crick one, I wrote that they used the pictures taken by Wilkins and Franklin to produce the double-helix model

For the peas one, I wrote that the detergent will be alkaline, making the nuclei break up. The mashing is to increase the surface area as well as breaking the other skin of the peas

For how the de-oxygenated blood gets to the lungs from the right atrium, I wrote the following:

The atrium contracts, forcing the blood into the right ventricle

The ventricle contracts when full, and pushes the blood through the pulmonary artery

The artery splits up into capillaries and gets oxygenated

For the pentadactyl one, I wrote the following:

The mammals have a humerus;

an ulna

wrist bones

and 5 fingers/digits. There is more to write, but that should be enough. The other answers are:

a radius

The wrist bones are called carpals

For the embryo specialization one, I wrote that the stem cells made in the embryo specialize into whatever the embryo needs to grow. Didn't really get this one, I think.

For the true or false statement multiple choice question, I selected that only A was true.

I'll avoid repeating things the OP has updated. IDM if the OP uses these answers.

Will edit it as it comes to mind.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending