The Student Room Group

Edexcel Biology (Unofficial) B2 Mark Scheme.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Farnosh
For the fossil question, I wrote about how some mammals in group A became extinct, and some mammals didn't fossilise (soft body tissues, and decomposition) and that caused the population to go Down. However, looking at this thread is making me panic because I never wrote about natural selection :frown:

Don't panic! I'm sure that your answer is very relevant and honestly, it's not like we're 100% sure about all these answers. xP
Reply 61
Original post by Regret786
My answers that I think are right:

For minimum number of bases, I got 630*3=1890

For the fossil groups, I got D as extinct. A's decrease in estimated population between 10-7m years ago was caused by:

C evolving to prey on A

Dead A's did not fossilize

Not all of A's fossils were found

For the mutation one, where a base pair is changed, I got that the protein is changed because a different amino acid would be made in the polypeptide chain. This causes it to fold differently, and make a misshapen protein.

For the Meiosis - Mitosis difference one, I got it as:

Meiosis produces genetically different daughter cells, Mitosis produces identical

Meiosis produces 1 pair of chromosomes in the daughter cell, Mitosis produces 2 pairs

Meiosis produces 4 daughter cells, Mitosis produces 2. There are more points that I didn't write

For the coronary artery one, I got the following:

The narrower artery is on the left ventricle. By it being narrow, the muscles receive less oxygen and glucose, and will be worker weaker.

The ventricle will not be able to contract as strongly as before, causing less heart pressure

This will cause a weaker heart, and decrease the cardiac output

This means that the less blood will be going throughout the body, meaning more anaerobic respiration when exercising

There will be more lactic acid left over

There will be a longer excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC) (didn't actually write it, just realized it now)

For the recognizing the blood vessel on the labelled diagram, I'm pretty sure it was the pulmonary vein

Will edit it as it comes to mind.

yh pulmonary vein then the next one was about how does deoxygenated blood get into the lungs i wrote it enters via vena cava then goes past tricuspid valves and goes to right atrium then to lungs via pulmonary artery going past semi lunar valves to get oxygenated via alveoli
Reply 62
what did you guys write for the pentadactyl limb structure on? why was it two marks? I wrote its a limb with 5 digits and thats it
Original post by keepyourapology
Don't panic! I'm sure that your answer is very relevant and honestly, it's not like we're 100% sure about all these answers. xP

I wrote about more oxygen increades by photosynthesis,which caused extinction of animals that couldn't tolerate it. Is that right??
For the number of bases i did 630 x 3 = 1890 bases
Idk if that is right as some people did 630 / 3 = 210
Original post by bue34 c
what did you guys write for the pentadactyl limb structure on? why was it two marks? I wrote its a limb with 5 digits and thats it

Yeah I was confused as to why it was 2 marks. I said about the limb with 5 digits then started saying what it would be used for & they can be as an arm or a wing and are usually followed by an ulna, radius and humerus which can be fused together looool I was just writing anything I could think of
Reply 66
Original post by Moon.idk

Yh ur right i think

What was this question even asking for? The maximum number of bases in 630 amino acids?
Reply 68
Original post by caitlinford3
What was this question even asking for? The maximum number of bases in 630 amino acids?

Yh i think it said how many bases in a gene make up 630 amino acids or something like that

minimum
Original post by chrlhyms
minimum

Original post by bue34 c
Yh i think it said how many bases in a gene make up 630 amino acids or something like that

oh right. So annoying losing stupid marks :frown:
A codon has three bases and one codon makes up one amino acid. So, it would make sense to do 630*3. Honestly, I think they just said minimum to confuse students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys my teacher told me that p1 was the hardest from core so that means p2 and p3 are going to be fine. And because p2 is easy and we had juz done the b2 was easy too means there is a higher chance of c2 being harder. So we are left out with b3 and c3. He then said cos c2 is going to be hard c3 is going to be easier. For biology we are going to sit b3 two weeks later that is going to be the hardest.

So by summarizing again:
C2=hard from chemistry
B3=hard from biology
P1=hard from physics.

But still dont underestimate it can sometimes be harder and u cant be
100% sure if my teachers are right. Dont leave out anything that you haven't done and think you can ace it without revising..... So dont entirely listen to me. G'LUCK!!!!
Reply 73
what did you guys write for the question that said to explain the differences in concentration of carbon dioxide between tube ?,?,? which i think were with sucrose
Original post by Regret786
My answers that I think are right:

For minimum number of bases, I got 630*3=1890

For the fossil groups, I got D as extinct. A's decrease in estimated population between 10-7m years ago was caused by:

C evolving to prey on A

Dead A's did not fossilize

Not all of A's fossils were found

For the mutation one, where a base pair is changed, I got that the protein is changed because a different amino acid would be made in the polypeptide chain. This causes it to fold differently, and make a misshapen protein.

For the Meiosis - Mitosis difference one, I got it as:

Meiosis produces genetically different daughter cells, Mitosis produces identical

Meiosis produces 1 pair of chromosomes in the daughter cell, Mitosis produces 2 pairs

Meiosis produces 4 daughter cells, Mitosis produces 2. There are more points that I didn't write

For the coronary artery one, I got the following:

The narrower artery is on the left ventricle. By it being narrow, the muscles receive less oxygen and glucose, and will be worker weaker.

The ventricle will not be able to contract as strongly as before, causing less heart pressure

This will cause a weaker heart, and decrease the cardiac output

This means that the less blood will be going throughout the body, meaning more anaerobic respiration when exercising

There will be more lactic acid left over

There will be a longer excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC) (didn't actually write it, just realized it now)

For the recognizing the blood vessel on the labelled diagram, I'm pretty sure it was the pulmonary vein

For the Watson and Crick one, I wrote that they used the pictures taken by Wilkins and Franklin to produce the double-helix model

For the peas one, I wrote that the detergent will be alkaline, making the nuclei break up. The mashing is to increase the surface area as well as breaking the other skin of the peas

For how the de-oxygenated blood gets to the lungs from the right atrium, I wrote the following:

The atrium contracts, forcing the blood into the right ventricle

The ventricle contracts when full, and pushes the blood through the pulmonary artery

The artery splits up into capillaries and gets oxygenated

For the pentadactyl one, I wrote the following:

The mammals have a humerus;

an ulna

wrist bones

and 5 fingers/digits. There is more to write, but that should be enough. The other answers are:

a radius

The wrist bones are called carpals

For the embryo specialization one, I wrote that the stem cells made in the embryo specialize into whatever the embryo needs to grow. Didn't really get this one, I think.

For the true or false statement multiple choice question, I selected that only A was true.

I'll avoid repeating things the OP has updated. IDM if the OP uses these answers.

Will edit it as it comes to mind.

You got the amino acid one incorrect. You were meant to divide 630/3 = 210
Original post by keepyourapology

Same omggg!! I put how soft fossils decay and how there are still undiscovered fosisls that remain deep in the soil. I got confused.
17? where did you get that from? wasn't it 42?

I got 42 also. I'm pretty certain that's right.
Original post by bue34 c

I wrote it was made up of 5 components and I then said what they are - the humerus, ulna, radius, carpals and phalanges.

I also got 1890 and it's right because 3 bases (one codon) code for one amino acid.
Original post by niichola.
You got the amino acid one incorrect. You were meant to divide 630/3 = 210

No that's wrong. It's 630 x 3 because three bases (1 codon) code for 1 amino acid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending