The Student Room Group

AQA Biology B2 - Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

I wish I did Foundation LOL. I'm f*cked. :redface:
Original post by funky2722
same as you though my maximum is still 59, what did you get for plantanis question?

I performed terribly on that as I forgot to convert cm to m. Thus I've deducted 3 marks for that (hence 57/60), though I can't remember what it was out of. Do you?
The pictograms was easy to work out, no knowledge needed-
Starts at 6.6
Doubles at B to 13.2
Cell splits first time back to 6.6 at C
Splits again to 3.3 at E

Hope that helps
Original post by ajs12
32 is the number of plantains in 10m^2, not 1m^2
32/10 is 3.2
There are 3.2 plantains per metre squared
Therefore 3.2 * 5000 = 16000

Admittedly, I did also get this question wrong and put 160 000, it was only after the exam realised. The question was worth 3 marks, we'll probably only drop 1 for that though.
Yh, fair enough.
Original post by salty670
was it 1 in 4 ginger for the cross diagram question

yesss thats what i got :biggrin:
Original post by ajs12
32/10 is 3.2

Admittedly, I did also get this question wrong and put 160 000, it was only after the exam that I realised. The question was worth 3 marks, we'll probably only drop 1 for that though. Still got physics and chemistry to go though!

no there were 10 quadrats, each one 25cm long. So 0.25 * 0.25 = 0.0625 and since there were 10 quadrats total area of all of them = 0.625 and there were 20 plantains. So 20/0.625 = 32 plaintains per m. Meaning in a field of 5000m then theres 160k, i remeber clearly im right now.
Original post by ajs12
32/10 is 3.2

Admittedly, I did also get this question wrong and put 160 000, it was only after the exam that I realised. The question was worth 3 marks, we'll probably only drop 1 for that though. Still got physics and chemistry to go though!

I put 160 cause area thing was in cm... So I thought you convert it to meters?? :s-smilie:
Original post by Naco88
↑↑↑ In the poll above, and answer like '> 30%' would mean between '30%' and '40%' ↑↑↑

Remember a question? Post your answers below.

AQA B2 Higher - Unofficial Mark Scheme (Updated Regularly) (Should have the last few questions of foundation)

1. Athlete Question
a)
i)
ii) The athlete was running for 1.5 minutes.
b) How do you know it was anaerobic respiration?
The athlete produced lactic acid

2. Pond weed Photosynthesis. - Move the light different distances from the pond weed. Count bubbles in one minute. Keep pond weed length the same.

3. Enzymes question. - Circle Question: Cytoplasm.

4. Plantains, Quadrats. To improve their investigation: Use random sampling, take more samples.
I got the number of plantains per square m at 3.125

5. Polydactyly Question

6. Removing bacteria from milk with catalase.
Advantages: Catalysts can be reused
Disadvantages: Enzymes can denature

7. Meiosis & Mitosis. The sperm cells were produces in the testes by Meiosis. The embryo divided by Mitosis.
For the question about the size of each cell:

8)
Foxes, Geographical isolation. Adapted differently. Mutation, So unable to breed. Different species.
Why were the foxes on the 3 islands varies but still the same species?
The islands have similar conditions so the two species adapted similarly and were so similar they could still interbreed so were still of the same species.

Note: The questions may not be in the right order.

This is a mix of my answers and those of the community but they are not guaranteed to be correct.

Would you be able to include the marks that each question was worth
Reply 108
Original post by funky2722
no there were 10 quadrats, each one 25cm long. So 0.25 * 0.25 = 0.0625 and since there were 10 quadrats total area of all of them = 0.625 and there were 20 plantains. So 20/0.625 = 32 plaintains per m. Meaning in a field of 5000m then theres 160k, i remeber clearly im right now.

Yo, I'm honestly not too bothered, but if you're right, then what I put in my exam was right, happy days! At the end of the day, it's 1 mark, and if like me you're doing additional science, there are still 200 UMS to play for. gl mate
For the advantages and disadvantages of hydrogen peroxide one, didn't you have to use the text and not you knowledge? Also was there another question on the pros and cons of enzymes as I think I missed it out, or was this it??
Has anyone got a link for the unofficial markscheme to the AQA B3 paper ?
Original post by benisannoyedrn
1 Anaerobic is without the presence of oxygen, he ran for 1.5 minutes, and the level of lactic acid was higher at the end, 18dm3. Epithelial tissue cover the inside and outside of the stomach, glandular realises digestive juices, muscular churns up food.
2. Put the pondweed in a test tube, fill up a beaker with water, put the test tube in the beaker, use a ruler to measure bubbles, use a timer to measure how long the light is on for, move away the light at the same intervals. Control variables- Time and distance of the light. I know that you aren't supposed to add equipment like I did, but it said that these are SOME of the things you may use, and I had a thick moment and started adding things😑
3. Enzymes are biological catalysts made of proteins. They speed up reaction without being used up in the process. Advantage- Can be done at low temperatures and can be reused. Disadvantage- Enzymes can denature easily, due to things like pH.
4. Do the maths stuff (can't remember any) and the improvements are 1. Do more samples 2. Place the quadrants randomly to eliminate bias and 3. Can't remember😐
5. Talk about two dominant alleles or one dominant and one recessive for the mother, and two recessive a for the father. The ginger one was 25% chance of a ginger and a 50% chance for the polydactyl one.
6. Advantages and disadvantages ( accidentally wrote those in question 3)
7. I had no idea what pictograms were, but the bottom answer was MITOSIS.
8. Geographical isolation, survival of the fittest, natural selection and the passing on of favourable alleles. And then the last question was that the conditions are similar on the islands and there hasn't been enough time for evolution.

The circle question was CYTOPLASM

That's what I got anyway. I've probably gotten some wrong, put some in the wrong order or missed some out.😳

omg i got most of the same answers as you
Original post by goldenusername
omg i got most of the same answers as you

What was the question of the advantages and disadvantages of enzymes??
Original post by JAOASHAIL
Idiots, the length of the quadrat was 25 CM. So the area of the quadrat was 0.0625m*2

No?? Surely it's 25 x 25 = 625 cm then divide it by 100 to get 6.25m*2??

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the disadvantage of using the hydrogen peroxide and catalyst would allergies be a valid questions?
Original post by ozziess
For the quadrat question I got 20 flies, then 62.5metres in total, so I got 0.32metres per metres squared, leaving me with answer or 1,300

damn I got 32 plants per meter square, and 160000 for plants all together

Now I look back, that is a very large number :redface:
Original post by GCSE_core
What was the question of the advantages and disadvantages of enzymes??

i didn't do that one
Original post by Adamtoo
Was there a question after the speciation one (the 5 marker)? I think I missed it -_-

I think you done question 7 wrong idk
Reply 118
Original post by spoony2799
1)Total number of plantains=202)Total area of 10 quadrats (in m^2)=6250
3)Mean number of plantains per m^2= 20/10=2
4)Total area of the field=5000
5)Estimated number of plantains in field=10,000

What did you get for that genetic diagram question? The red and brown hair allele??
Original post by goldenusername
i didn't do that one

The only question about the pros and cons was for the hydrogen peroxide one wasn't it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending