The Student Room Group

OCR 21st Century Science B4 B5 B6 10th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Why would some people be against a child having DNA from 3 people?

I put about the child not knowing who their real parents are (although they clearly would), more risk of genetic disorder due to more possibilities, and something else which I can't remember. Didn't have a clue lol

EDIT: Remembered it - it was the donor demanding contact with the child which the parents might not want
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lsford
Yeah, I agree. I think that the similarities and differences part of the question is gonna be the most heavily marked. But that's just my opinion so

Yeah I think so, i talked about many differences (difference in number of chromosomes, when each process happens, why it happens etc) but I didn't mention one similarity which is just stupid. I explained the whole mitosis process which is probably unnecessary lol
What did everyone say about the mutation question? Totally fked that one up
Original post by NiamhM1801
Why would some people be against a child having DNA from 3 people?

I put about the child not knowing who their real parents are (although they clearly would), more risk of genetic disorder due to more possibilities, and something else which I can't remember. Didn't have a clue lol

EDIT: Remembered it - it was the donor demanding contact with the child which the parents might not want

I said people may think it's unethical and unnatural and there could be a risk to the child like a disease or mutation. I also said it might be expensive and it's new so they don't know much about it
Reply 84
I thought that was a much nicer paper than the first one - more knowledge based I thought. Some of the ethics stuff threw me off (as always because I always forget one thing or put something they don't allow) but I'm pretty confident about what I put.

For the 1st six marker: talked about the optimum temperature/pH and denaturing of enzymes involved in growth of the plants or changes to active site caused by alkalis and acids.

For the 2nd six marker: talked about A being meiosis, C being mitosis then made 2/3 similarities and more heavily focused on the differences.

For the 3rd six marker: fatty sheath (took me a while - felt like I was playing a 'spot the difference' game at first!) and insulation/speed of impulses. Slows it down and interferes with it, so reflexes are slower and responses are slower, etc.

So pretty much the same as you guys; any grade boundaries predictions? I found it easier than last year's so I think it'll be slightly higher this time. Though last year's was quite low - 40 or 41 for an A* I think?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lsford
Yeah, you need like 3-4 as long as you've done ok on the rest of the paper, i know someone who got 2 on every long marker and still came out with an A so I think you'll be ok!

That sounds good to me; I'll take it lol.
Original post by bmgaic
I thought that was a much nicer paper than the first one - more knowledge based I thought. Some of the ethics stuff threw me off (as always because I always forget one thing or put something they don't allow) but I'm pretty confident about what I put.

For the 1st six marker: talked about the optimum temperature/pH and denaturing of enzymes involved in growth of the plants or changes to active site caused by alkalis and acids.

For the 2nd six marker: talked about A being meiosis, C being mitosis then made 2/3 similarities and more heavily focused on the differences.

For the 3rd six marker: fatty sheath (took me a while - felt like I was playing a 'spot the difference' game at first!) and insulation/speed of impulses. Slows it down and interferes with it, so reflexes are slower and responses are slower, etc.

So pretty much the same as you guys; any grade boundaries predictions? I found it easier than last year's so I think it'll be slightly higher this time. Though last year's was quite low - 40 or 41 for an A* I think?

Nice answers - I also had that problem with the B6 picture haha! I forgot to mention reflexes though - I slightly panicked and said they'd get tired easily :s-smilie:
What was the boundary last year? I didn't do that paper so I have no idea what it was like
Reply 87
Original post by Ella_08
I said people may think it's unethical and unnatural and there could be a risk to the child like a disease or mutation. I also said it might be expensive and it's new so they don't know much about it

I put playing God but I kinda put about the embryos being disposed of and how people could consider that wrong because the embryos had the propensity to turn in to a human being- which is wrong but I couldn't think of anything else!
Original post by Ella_08
Yeah I think so, i talked about many differences (difference in number of chromosomes, when each process happens, why it happens etc) but I didn't mention one similarity which is just stupid. I explained the whole mitosis process which is probably unnecessary lol

Haha I did that and explained the process of meiosis on top of that and only then did I link it back to the question...feel sorry for the markers that are going to have to sift through all of that text.
Original post by Ella_08

Ah true, I'm awful at ethics questions as I always miss the points completely!
Original post by Lsford
I put playing God but I kinda put about the embryos being disposed of and how people could consider that wrong because the embryos had the propensity to turn in to a human being- which is wrong but I couldn't think of anything else!

In the revision guide it did say something similar about the potential of human life being lost so I think you'll be fine there. I also put playing God and how others may not agree with the decision. I also put the fact that it is fairly new (in the stem of the question) and how there may be unseen risks.
Reply 91
Original post by Spectre2000
In the revision guide it did say something similar about the potential of human life being lost so I think you'll be fine there. I also put playing God and how others may not agree with the decision. I also put the fact that it is fairly new (in the stem of the question) and how there may be unseen risks.

Ah that's okay then, I'll take 2 marks cause I didn't think of a third one in time! But those are some really good points so I think you'll get 3 marks there!
Reply 92

Ha yeah sames, I'd rather a biology exam be about science than ethics tbh
Reply 93
Nice answers - I also had that problem with the B6 picture haha! I forgot to mention reflexes though - I slightly panicked and said they'd get tired easily :s-smilie:
What was the boundary last year? I didn't do that paper so I have no idea what it was like

Boundaries were:
A* 41
A 33
B 25
C 18
Original post by Lsford
Ah that's okay then, I'll take 2 marks cause I didn't think of a third one in time! But those are some really good points so I think you'll get 3 marks there!

Thanks, tbf 2 marks out of 3 is good enough. You don't need 100% for an A* thankfully.
Hi! Thought that paper went better than the first. For the graph question, did the line of best fit have to be straight? I drew it curved.
Reply 96
Original post by louisemayorx
Hi! Thought that paper went better than the first. For the graph question, did the line of best fit have to be straight? I drew it curved.

Yeah curved was right because it was part of the photosynthesis limiting factors
Original post by Lsford

These are good guys! Even if you lose 1 mark it doesn't make that much difference
Haha I did that and explained the process of meiosis on top of that and only then did I link it back to the question...feel sorry for the markers that are going to have to sift through all of that text.

Omg wow! How did you even manage that in 1 hour...
Reply 99
Thanks, tbf 2 marks out of 3 is good enough. You don't need 100% for an A* thankfully.

I know, I just really would like that A*! Doubt I will though after those papers!
Any ideas on the grade boundaries?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending