The Student Room Group

Has my idiocy cost me this exam?

I feel incredibly stupid.

So after completing my two essays (humanities exam) I noticed that I had written more illegibly and in smaller script than I do usually and felt the need to apologise at the end to the examiner by writing, "apologies for handwriting - injury to hand". I did experience a hand injury but this was a few weeks ago and didn't have any major impact. What I'm worried about is the examiner dismissing the script because he/she thinks it's a legitimate problem my school should have dealt with. How likely is this? The handwriting wasn't erratic, it was just lettet formation.

Also, I added a little note of clarification for a term I used repeatedly in one of the essays e.g. what I interpreted it to mean even though the actual meaning was not that ambiguous. Will this make the examiner think, "if she needs to clarify this thete obviously isn't enough clarity in the work?".

Two questionable decisions made under exam pressure :frown: - please help.
1. If its legible your note makes no difference.
2. Its fine to use a defined term. The defined term still needs to be compatible with the question. You need to answer the one they asked, so your interpretation needs to be reasonable.

I think you are worrying over nothing.
Reply 2
So regarding 1, if its partially legible e.g. can be read with some difficulty, will the note make an impact? I'm also worried because I wrote quite a lot (pages and pages) even though I am mostly certain that it was all relevant. Don't want the examiner to sigh in exasperation, briefly read the through the first couple of pages and think that because I've written so much I've lost focus. I guess my worries are to do with handwriting as much as they are to do with the note.

I've heard that examiners just pass around a script with awful handwriting until they find someone who can read it - do you know if this is true?

Thanks for your response by the way.
I've written an apology for messing up my exam before. Never hurt me. Might get you some pity marks!
Original post by 89911998a
So regarding 1, if its partially legible e.g. can be read with some difficulty, will the note make an impact? I'm also worried because I wrote quite a lot (pages and pages) even though I am mostly certain that it was all relevant. Don't want the examiner to sigh in exasperation, briefly read the through the first couple of pages and think that because I've written so much I've lost focus. I guess my worries are to do with handwriting as much as they are to do with the note.

I've heard that examiners just pass around a script with awful handwriting until they find someone who can read it - do you know if this is true?

Thanks for your response by the way.

You are getting yourself into a tizz over nothing.
If its not legible they can ask you to come in and pay for a transcribe.
The note is irrelevant as long as you didnt insult the marker or write obscenities.
Writing too much is irrelevant as long as you answered the question.

Just pack it in and go out and enjoy yourself.

If you have issues with legibility, then slow down and form the letters. Thast your responsibility.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
1. If its legible your note makes no difference.
2. Its fine to use a defined term. The defined term still needs to be compatible with the question. You need to answer the one they asked, so your interpretation needs to be reasonable.

I think you are worrying over nothing.

So regarding 1, if it's only partially legible e.g. can be read with some difficulty, will the note make an impact? I'm also worried because I wrote quite a lot i.e. pages and pages, even though I'm mostly certain that all of it was relevant. Don't want the examiner to get through the first couple of pages with some difficulty, sigh in exasperation and briefly flick through the rest thinking it's just waffle. I guess my worries are as much to do with handwriting as they are to do with the note.

I've heard that examiners usually pass around a script they can't read until they find someone who can. Do you know if this is true?
Thanks for yout response by the way.
Why are you reposting?
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Why are you reposting?

I hope you're right. I reposted again quoting your first response because I thought you wouldn't be notified of that post otherwise. As you can probably infer I am new to posting on tsr.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending