The Student Room Group

I think Britain is going to remain in the EU.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hendrix Lives
The E.U. isn't a protectionist group of nations,it's a community,as in Common Market.

if you're telling me the EU isn't protectionist then why are we fearing brexit? :| oh my god do you even know what you're saying? or are you trying to get fat lies across a narrow hallway?

Go down to your local town or village market and you'll see various people sell their wares,THAT.is a community,have you anything against these people who wish to see cheese from Holland,pizzas from Italy,sausages/beer from Germany and so forth,it seems like it to me.

I have a samsung phone. I have a nintendo wii. they come from asia. does that mean we're a community with asia too? does that mean we need a pan european-asian political union? NO! ffs why can't you just think for once before saying these ludicrous things?

One thing though,I do not wish to see Turkey anywhere near the E.U. under any circumstances whatsover.

it's literally the conservative party policy to speed up their membership process though. and probably labour's as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DJKL
Well, if that is the case we must congratulate him for his achievements, pretty stunning for a "bear of little brain."

Whilst he may not come across well at times I think I would be pretty cautious labeling him absent grey matter, he is not stupid, erratic yes, sometimes does not play well with an audience, yes, but not stupid.

When he forced Londoners to leave the city they were born and raised in to move 40/50 even 100 miles away,then he deserves to be treated with contempt,he's a disgrace abd a buffoon.
Imagine that clown being head of Britain,it doesn't bear thinking about,him head honcho and Trump head honcho,two American idiots,unreal.
When he forced Londoners to leave the city they were born and raised in to move 40/50 even 100 miles away,then he deserves to be treated with contempt,he's a disgrace abd a buffoon.
Imagine that clown being head of Britain,it doesn't bear thinking about,him head honcho and Trump head honcho,two American idiots,unreal.

Interesting theory, you would have thought it would have been in the papers and on the news and certainly all over social media if masses of people were forced out of London by a single man...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
It also has to be asked: who will invade?

Spain are partners in NATO and probably don't want kicking out. Nor do I expect they want suspending from the eu and facing the wrath of the un and international community. As far as I'm aware nobody else cares about the rock, certainly nobody that isn't an ally or could be invaded a hundred times over by us and our allies

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know.

The argument just involves Spain. They have been banging on about it almost ever since they gave it to us, claiming it on propinquity grounds and arguing the Treaty wasn't valid.

Conveniently forgetting the fact that their highly analogous territory Ceuta is closer to Morroco, on the African mainland.

If we leave the Union they might close the border again for a while if it suits the domestic agenda of some politician. But it will soon reopen, it always does.

The Remain side has a very low opinion of this country. We managed to win the War of the Spanish Succession and then hold onto Gibraltar for more than three centuries. We don't need to be part of the European Union for Gibraltar to remain British. Just a bit of spine.
Original post by Maker

The only exception is if there is a Brexit and the economy goes down the drain and hundreds of thousands lose their jobs, then people would demand another referendum.

There is no parliamentary majority for any particular terms of Brexit and that may necessitate another referendum.

The conflict between those who want a Norway solution and those who are most concerned about immigration is a real one.
Original post by nulli tertius
There is no parliamentary majority for any particular terms of Brexit and that may necessitate another referendum.

The conflict between those who want a Norway solution and those who are most concerned about immigration is a real one.

It will be a total bun fight if we vote leave. Very exciting!

There will have to be a second referendum it seems to me to decide terms.

The EU will then offer us better terms to stay, based on previous experience. (They are TERRIFIED of contagion. France is even more Eurosceptic than us, now, according to the most recent poll).

Which it would be interesting to consider. I'd like them to beg us to stay and we still say no! But it would be down to the country again.

This referendum is part of a much bigger phenomenon. A rejection of the European Union as is by its own populace. We are just the leading edge.

It MUST reform if it is to have a chance to survive. Free movement of labour has to be curtailed for example. The Commission has to stop meddling in sovereign issues. Excessive regulation has to be reined in. We need proper democracy.

If we vote in these reforms will not take place (now anyway, if ever) and the German and French elites will walk all over us.

Instead we have a chance to be part of something exciting which may even lead to us staying in a reformed Europe. Or even better (to me) us being a free sovereign nation again.

Don't buy the narrative that this referendum is it. The EU has NEVER accepted the result of a referendum which went against it. Not in Greece, or France, or Denmark, or Ireland.

It won't be it, it will be just the beginning of it. Whatever that becomes.

We are actors in history. These chances don't come along very often in a lifetime if at all. Seize the opportunity! :smile:
REMAIN REMAIN REMAIN!! I am getting very stressed about this
Original post by cshstudent
REMAIN REMAIN REMAIN!! I am getting very stressed about this

History is made by those willing to take risks. Not those meekly prepared to accept the unacceptable. :smile:

LEAVE LEAVE LEAVE!

It's concerning that that is even a debate, nobody in their right minds wants a Norway model, we aren't Norway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's concerning that that is even a debate, nobody in their right minds wants a Norway model, we aren't Norway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

International Business Editor of the Telegraph and long-standing Brexiter

www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/01/leave-camp-must-accept-that-norway-model-is-the-only-safe-way-to/
Original post by lehcarbat
The housing crisis is very real but the conservatives are to blame as a party, to be honest. I think Boris Johnson is a wealthy man who obviously prioritises people like himself but so is David Cameron? I don't get it, you think Boris Johnson caused the housing crisis therefore we should vote remain? That makes no sense. Do your research on the leave campaign before just voting based on disliking Nigel Farage or Boris Johnson..

My cousin has worked in London as a bricklayer for 35 years,he's even told me that when Labour are in,building houses is a priority,but when Tories are in power then everything comes to a halt.
Rich Saudis come in and buy mansions then disappear,the money then goes into the TORY coffers,nothing is invested,zilch.
Still not seeing any forcing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dear oh dear,I give up.
International Business Editor of the Telegraph and long-standing Brexiter

www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/01/leave-camp-must-accept-that-norway-model-is-the-only-safe-way-to/

Excellent article,especially the bit re Cameron.
It's certainly your pregogative to vote to leave but the reason I quoted Johnson was how can you trust him after ruining the London housing and saying the NHS is losing £350 million a week,(it's actually £250 million,) and he is also wrong about the economy,check what the Times is saying,they're not telling porkies,it will cripple our financial status for years.
Reply 316

There does seem to be an expectation amongst some Brexiters that the UK can have restrictions on free movement plus tariff free access to the Single Market because Britain is the 5th largest economy. But even the US has tariffs on imports to the EU so I am very doubtful the EU would make an exception for the UK which is a much smaller economy than the US.

I think if the UK does leave, the arguments between different fractions of the Brexiters as to which model the UK should have would be very entertaining but bad for the economy.
(edited 7 years ago)
I voted leave, but I think we'll stay.
Excellent article,especially the bit re Cameron.

There is one thing in the article that is disingenuous. He refers to Norwegians paying only £106 per head for the EU.

The UK only pays about £132 a head for membership of the EU.

If given the choice, would you pay £106 to sit in the back row of the gods behind a pillar when for £132 you could sit in the front row of the dress circle and get to meet Mr Juncker backstage?
There is one thing in the article that is disingenuous. He refers to Norwegians paying only £106 per head for the EU.

The UK only pays about £132 a head for membership of the EU.

If given the choice, would you pay £106 to sit in the back row of the gods behind a pillar when for £132 you could sit in the front row of the dress circle and get to meet Mr Juncker backstage?

Well well well. I did not know that. FFS why aren't the Remain team making that very point...?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending