The Student Room Group

Academic Prizes

I'm graduating soon and just found out I won a couple, so now I'm super curious about other people's experiences with them. Did you receive any, what was it for, how much money, etc etc.

Yes I'm being a nosy ba.stard.
Original post by LannaBanana
I'm graduating soon and just found out I won a couple, so now I'm super curious about other people's experiences with them. Did you receive any, what was it for, how much money, etc etc.

Yes I'm being a nosy ba.stard.

Oh wow, congrats! What kind of categories are there? :K:

I've only finished my second year, if there were any awards for them I would be far from being the person to win them :rofl:
Original post by SeanFM
Oh wow, congrats! What kind of categories are there? :K:

I've only finished my second year, if there were any awards for them I would be far from being the person to win them :rofl:

I'm not entirely sure that's why I'm posting haha! I don't wanna post the names of mine or anything (to keep some kinda semblance of anonymity) but my degree's in English. Last year I got a reallyyyy big one that was worth £1000 for top grades in the year, and this semester I got two worth £100 each - one for top grades over the past two years, and one for a specific essay that I wrote last semester.

When I google I get hardly any information, and I'm really curious as to what categories and things there are, or what kinds of things you can get at other unis/in other departments! I think there will probably be one for highest dissertation grade too, and I know someone who got an 80 but I don't wanna ask her outright haha. I did find that there are three prizes given out to graduating students who are doing French, so I presume it's kinda common??

It all seems really hush hush I'm not gonna lie so it's kinda weird! Like I didn't tell any other students about the money I got last year, and there was no announcement about it at all anywhere, so when I ended up telling my friend a few weeks ago about it she was stunned that such a thing exists. Like it wasn't a scholarship, I didn't have to apply for anything, they just e-mailed me and said "Congrats, we're giving you a grand." (more or less).
I'm not entirely sure that's why I'm posting haha! I don't wanna post the names of mine or anything (to keep some kinda semblance of anonymity) but my degree's in English. Last year I got a reallyyyy big one that was worth £1000 for top grades in the year, and this semester I got two worth £100 each - one for top grades over the past two years, and one for a specific essay that I wrote last semester.

When I google I get hardly any information, and I'm really curious as to what categories and things there are, or what kinds of things you can get at other unis/in other departments! I think there will probably be one for highest dissertation grade too, and I know someone who got an 80 but I don't wanna ask her outright haha. I did find that there are three prizes given out to graduating students who are doing French, so I presume it's kinda common??

It all seems really hush hush I'm not gonna lie so it's kinda weird! Like I didn't tell any other students about the money I got last year, and there was no announcement about it at all anywhere, so when I ended up telling my friend a few weeks ago about it she was stunned that such a thing exists. Like it wasn't a scholarship, I didn't have to apply for anything, they just e-mailed me and said "Congrats, we're giving you a grand." (more or less).

:holmes: I've had a look and I know of someone who won something similar, like best performance in their year (in their final year) but if they won any money, they didn't tell me about it :rofl: but you're right.. no mention of it anywhere on anything I can see for my uni though.

That's really good though, you must have done really well.. and now you have some pocket money :wink:
Original post by SeanFM
:holmes: I've had a look and I know of someone who won something similar, like best performance in their year (in their final year) but if they won any money, they didn't tell me about it :rofl: but you're right.. no mention of it anywhere on anything I can see for my uni though.

That's really good though, you must have done really well.. and now you have some pocket money :wink:

Comes in handy since I am now woefully unemployed!!

I just don't know why unis WOULDN'T brag about the money they're giving to students?? Maybe it's just me but it seems like something they'd want to advertise a bit, like in the student newspaper/uni newsletter thingies or something.
Comes in handy since I am now woefully unemployed!!

I just don't know why unis WOULDN'T brag about the money they're giving to students?? Maybe it's just me but it seems like something they'd want to advertise a bit, like in the student newspaper/uni newsletter thingies or something.

:s-smilie: sorry to hear that - maybe mentioning that you won such awards in interviews may help :tongue:

Yeah, agreed :K: maybe not names in case they wanted anonymity, but I dunno.. they should :K: that motivates me to try and do the best in my year though, so thanks! :tongue:
Original post by SeanFM
:s-smilie: sorry to hear that - maybe mentioning that you won such awards in interviews may help :tongue:

Yeah, agreed :K: maybe not names in case they wanted anonymity, but I dunno.. they should :K: that motivates me to try and do the best in my year though, so thanks! :tongue:

Your abundant use of emoticons is really brightening up my day for some reason ahahaha.

Good luck in your coursework, I hope you manage to squeeze some money out of the institution responsible for your debt!
Your abundant use of emoticons is really brightening up my day for some reason ahahaha.

Good luck in your coursework, I hope you manage to squeeze some money out of the institution responsible for your debt!

:party: :party2: that is good to hear :tongue: :rave:

Thanks! :colondollar: £9000 a year.. and £1800 for a placement year :rofl: ah well. That'd be nice yes. (Essays must be really difficult to get anything over 70 though :K:)
I've won some the past couple of years. Some were cash prizes, some were fancy lunches with the prize sponsor. My university has hundreds and hundreds of prizes, but they only tell people about them if they win. They have a huge list of them online, but you do have to hunt for it a bit.
Reply 9
I had a £50 cheque and certificate for getting the highest mark in my subject in my year. Never got round to cashing it. Not that awe-inspiring - plus it meant I had to cross the stage twice during graduation, which was horrific. Once was bad enough.
Original post by Klix88
I had a £50 cheque and certificate for getting the highest mark in my subject in my year. Never got round to cashing it. Not that awe-inspiring - plus it meant I had to cross the stage twice during graduation, which was horrific. Once was bad enough.

I never thought about that! I wonder if I'll have to deal with that at graduation? My dad will be super pleased but I hate attention like that.

Klix, I've seen your posts a lot - did you go on to academia?
Reply 11
Klix, I've seen your posts a lot - did you go on to academia?

Tried a PhD but it didn't work out. Currently bouncing between short contracts at uni, research assistanting and the like.
Original post by Klix88
Tried a PhD but it didn't work out. Currently bouncing between short contracts at uni, research assistanting and the like.

Ahh I see! I hope you don't mind me asking, but I'm thinking about doing postgraduate study and I'm kind of anxious about it in general, because I know how mentally exhausting it will be. Are you glad you tried it, or do you wish you'd looked for jobs after graduating instead?
Reply 13
Ahh I see! I hope you don't mind me asking, but I'm thinking about doing postgraduate study and I'm kind of anxious about it in general, because I know how mentally exhausting it will be. Are you glad you tried it, or do you wish you'd looked for jobs after graduating instead?

I did an MA after graduating (and before the PhD) becuse I couldn't find a job in my field - that was worthwhile. Very much more intense than undergrad, certainly. Some of my undergrad colleagues took a year or two out before going on to a Masters - might be worth considering that strategy if you feel you need a break. It wouldn't be unusual. My advice would be listen to your gut and pace yourself if you need to. There's no rush.
Helloooo! I also study English! My grades aren't great, I was wondering if you had any tips for me by any chance? I'm just going into third year now and I am dreading it

Quick Reply

Latest