The Student Room Group

was it mitosis or meiosis?

AQA Biology Unit 2
I thought it was meoisis but most people are saying mitosis so it as probably mitosis
Mitosis = produces 2 genetically identical daughter cells

Meiosis = produces 4 genetically unique daughter cells

I'm guessing this was on the exam??
Original post by Fluffpuffle
I thought it was meoisis but most people are saying mitosis so it as probably mitosis

i wrote meiosis too! but i heard most saying its mitosis, which is why i aint sure cuz its said something to do with fertillization so i jus thought meiosis?
Reply 4
it was deffo mitosis bc it was how does the fertilised embryo develop into an organism, which is through the cell continuously duplicating itself (mitosis)
Original post by Serine Soul
Mitosis = produces 2 genetically identical daughter cells

Meiosis = produces 4 genetically unique daughter cells

I'm guessing this was on the exam??

yeah it was, theeres some controversy on what the answer was,thx tho
Original post by lily628
it was deffo mitosis bc it was how does the fertilised embryo develop into an organism, which is through the cell continuously duplicating itself (mitosis)

damn man
Mitosis, sorry :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by imforcedtosignup
i wrote meiosis too! but i heard most saying its mitosis, which is why i aint sure cuz its said something to do with fertillization so i jus thought meiosis?

I put Mitosis, because it said the egg was already a fertilised so now the cells or chromosomes or whatever theyre called have already mixed so now the newly created cell/ embryo thing has to create copies of itself to make more identical stem cells which would be Mitosis not Miosis, but maybe im wrong.
Mitosis= Starts off with a parent cell which is diploid, it undergoes DNA Replication meaning chromosomes are copied and so on. The parent cell splits into two separate cells called daughter cells which are also diploid and they are genetically identical to each other and to the parent cell. Mitosis occurs for cell division, growth, and to repair damages cells. This type of division occurs asexually

Meiosis= starts off with a parent cell which is also diploid, it also undergoes DNA Replication, however meiosis undergoes two cell divisions. When the parent cell divides it divides into two diploid cells which then divides again producing four haploid daughter cells which are not genetically identical to each other or the parent cell due to random combinations of alleles. Meiosis produces gametes which are the sex cells sperm and egg. This type of division occurs sexually.

Hope this helps, =)
Reply 10
I put meiosis too, I thought it was that because it was a sex cell right? My teacher tells me "Mitosis is toes (example) and my toes are not sexy" to remember which is in sex cells and which isn't. People have been telling me its mitosis too but I'm really not sure :frown:
Reply 11
I put mitosis

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending