The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 unit 3D predictions: Britain and the challenge of fascism- 10th June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hannah220
You're completely right!

Is it possible that they could ask a question just on the Battle of the Atlantic, so perhaps 'How far do you agree that technology was the most important factor in winning the B of A'? or would they not do that?
Reply 21
I must have missed that one, I thought we had never had Battle of the Atlantic.

Still 2012 is a reasonable amount of time ago. Correct me if I am wrong but we haven't had N.Africa and the Med since 2011.
Original post by EzBB
I must have missed that one, I thought we had never had Battle of the Atlantic.

Still 2012 is a reasonable amount of time ago. Correct me if I am wrong but we haven't had N.Africa and the Med since 2011.

Yes to be honest anything could come up! D-Day and bomber offensive were last year so I'm hedging my bets it's not them! Hope not anyway. I'm also not great at the home front stuff, so really hoping the alternative is a good one
Original post by sophie1998
Is it possible that they could ask a question just on the Battle of the Atlantic, so perhaps 'How far do you agree that technology was the most important factor in winning the B of A'? or would they not do that?

I think that's possible but unlikely, as a little too specific. You never know though!
Good luck everyone! And please remember that an exam cannot judge your intelligence! At the end of the day, it's just luck as to which questions come up! We are all intelligent! We passed AS levels after all! So whatever happens be proud!
Well how did everyone do in the exam? I found the questions quite pleasant, especially the controversy which is rare as I usually hate it!
Reply 26
Original post by Duffy97
Well how did everyone do in the exam? I found the questions quite pleasant, especially the controversy which is rare as I usually hate it!

I did the Battle of Britain question and the appeasement one, thought the questions were really good and the sources were too. I wrote about the Eastern and western fronts as being more important than the battle of Britain, and I was going to write about the Battle of the Atlantic but didn't have time. Overall I think it was a decent exam
Overall it was a good exam, could have gone much worse, I did the Battle of Britain and appeasement question. Those that did the appeasement question, was I the only one that thought the first source (Source 7) was being sarcastic at certain points especially when saying that Chamberlain was "doing what was best for Czechoslovakia"?
I don't know if Edexcel was trying to trick us, would not surprise me tbh :angry:
Reply 28
Original post by con.brown
Overall it was a good exam, could have gone much worse, I did the Battle of Britain and appeasement question. Those that did the appeasement question, was I the only one that thought the first source (Source 7) was being sarcastic at certain points especially when saying that Chamberlain was "doing what was best for Czechoslovakia"?
I don't know if Edexcel was trying to trick us, would not surprise me tbh :angry:

I cant remember what source 7 actually said but i think it was anti appeasement and anti Chamberlain. t was kind of saying that obviously Chamberlain had to make sacrifices so that an agreement could be reached but the source said that the sacrifices wouldn't affect him, they would ultimately affect Czechoslovakia. I'm not 100% sure though
Original post by Brob97
I cant remember what source 7 actually said but i think it was anti appeasement and anti Chamberlain. t was kind of saying that obviously Chamberlain had to make sacrifices so that an agreement could be reached but the source said that the sacrifices wouldn't affect him, they would ultimately affect Czechoslovakia. I'm not 100% sure though

Exactly on first impressions it sounded like it was more of a revisionist or post revisionist source but once you read it was actually very anti appeasement, that Britain was being selfish in not wanting to defend Czechoslovakia and that he was outmanoeuvred by Hitler in not realising the overestimation of his bluff that he would keep to the deal etc.
Hello guys, I did the Battle of Britain question yesterday in a the exam but am worried I answered it wrong. I focuses mainly on the Battle of Britain itself and explained how it was a big contribution as it brought the US into the war, was used as a base for D day and diverted key resources away from the eastern frontier, while contrasting it saying it wasn't as important by highlighting German mistakes within the Battle of Britain, saying that German went into the conflict half heartedly as the real battles were in the east and Atlantic and saying it didn't effect the Germans as didn't stop operation Barbarossa? Should I have branched out further than this or was this the correct was of doing it?
Reply 31
Original post by jackdonald27
Hello guys, I did the Battle of Britain question yesterday in a the exam but am worried I answered it wrong. I focuses mainly on the Battle of Britain itself and explained how it was a big contribution as it brought the US into the war, was used as a base for D day and diverted key resources away from the eastern frontier, while contrasting it saying it wasn't as important by highlighting German mistakes within the Battle of Britain, saying that German went into the conflict half heartedly as the real battles were in the east and Atlantic and saying it didn't effect the Germans as didn't stop operation Barbarossa? Should I have branched out further than this or was this the correct was of doing it?

I think if you mentioned specific battles and explained why they were more important then you should be fine :smile:
Original post by jackdonald27

I did the exact same as you, I am pretty sure it is meant to be structured in the same way as the 2012 Atlantic Question by saying that the Battle of Britain was the pre requisite not the cause for defeat and therefore was significant. So D-Day, Bombing Raids and Atlantic/Arctic Convoys to the USSR at crucial turning points would not have occurred without Britain being kept in the war.

I constantly linked each factor back to the question as a sort of mini conclusion and evaluation which is what it sounds like you did :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Keep thinking back to this exam and really unsure how it went. How did you guys structure the Battle of Britain question and the appeasement question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending