The Student Room Group

OCR 21st Century Science B4 B5 B6 10th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by rkp123
I got so confused with that question for some reason! I put that some groups would find it unethical ?? Oh well

It was only 1 or 2 marks so don't worry about it
Original post by Ella_08
What did everyone say about that nucleus question, it was like why is the embryo more likely to get DNA from the original parents? Something like that

I said because the nucleus contains the chromosomes and genes which is what the mother and father both give to the child in this type of fertilising, whereas the donor's nucleus is gotten rid of. but i forgot to link it to characteristics being determined by the genes in the nucleus DAMMIT ah well maybe i'll still pick up a mark if i'm correct??
Reply 142
Original post by Ella_08
What did everyone say about that nucleus question, it was like why is the embryo more likely to get DNA from the original parents? Something like that

I said because the DNA and genes are in the nucleus of the cells which come from the parents so the mitochondria from the third donor would have no effect on the DNA of the embryo. I think... I dunno if that's right
Reply 143
Original post by Ella_08

I'm not sure, I think I said that the genes in the mitochondria weren't responsible for physical characteristics but instead for making proteins or something like that?? Seriously I know that doesn't make sense but I didn't understand the question haha
Original post by NiamhM1801
A tiny little one marker on a page by itself - easy to miss. It was about useful applications of anaerobic respiration I think, I might be wrong though

actually, now I'm thinking about - it I put vigorous exercise for one question so maybe i did answer it! It's probably wrong tho
Original post by Lsford
I said because the DNA and genes are in the nucleus of the cells which come from the parents so the mitochondria from the third donor would have no effect on the DNA of the embryo. I think... I dunno if that's right

I put this too. The 'most' in the question confused me though, like how is there going to be any donor DNA if the nucleus was removed???
Original post by louisemayorx
I said because the nucleus contains the chromosomes and genes which is what the mother and father both give to the child in this type of fertilising, whereas the donor's nucleus is gotten rid of. but i forgot to link it to characteristics being determined by the genes in the nucleus DAMMIT ah well maybe i'll still pick up a mark if i'm correct??

That seems good, better than my answer anyway. I just said because they get 2 sets of DNA from the parents and only one set from the donor (i think mine is wrong). I bet you'll at least get a mark for that :wink:
Original post by rkp123
I'm not sure, I think I said that the genes in the mitochondria weren't responsible for physical characteristics but instead for making proteins or something like that?? Seriously I know that doesn't make sense but I didn't understand the question haha

yeah maybe - you should get 1 mark, tbh i don't really know. I hated that question, so weird
Reply 148
I put this too. The 'most' in the question confused me though, like how is there going to be any donor DNA if the nucleus was removed???

Yeah I know unless they're saying that mitochondria contain DNA?
Reply 149
I didn't like the question where they asked whether the treatment was worth it due to 1 in 200 children having faulty mitochondria or something. I wasn't really sure what to put for that. How many marks was it?
Original post by Lsford
Yeah I know unless they're saying that mitochondria contain DNA?

Exactly, confused me a little but I went with it anyway.

Original post by Lsford
I didn't like the question where they asked whether the treatment was worth it due to 1 in 200 children having faulty mitochondria or something. I wasn't really sure what to put for that. How many marks was it?

2 marks I believe. I didn't like it either. I put no in the end as although the risk of faulty mitochondria is large, the chance of developing a disease is small so the procedure is a waste of money as it won't benefit a large amount of people and is expensive for what it is.
Original post by Lsford

I know I hated that one! I would like to say it was two marks, but there's a chance it could have been three. i said it was worth it, because the soft soul in me went on a rampage about how even if you're only stopping the suffering of one child out of 6500 from serious illness, then it's worth it. and also, i said it then wouldn't be inherited by their children if they don't have the faulty mitochondria and so more children won't have it.
Reply 152
Exactly, confused me a little but I went with it anyway.

2 marks I believe. I didn't like it either. I put no in the end as although the risk of faulty mitochondria is large, the chance of developing a disease is small so the procedure is a waste of money as it won't benefit a large amount of people and is expensive for what it is.

Ah that sounds right, looks like I've got it wrong then... I put yes but then did say that children will still get faulty mitochondria etc. etc.
Reply 153
Original post by louisemayorx
I know I hated that one! I would like to say it was two marks, but there's a chance it could have been three. i said it was worth it, because the soft soul in me went on a rampage about how even if you're only stopping the suffering of one child out of 6500 from serious illness, then it's worth it. and also, i said it then wouldn't be inherited by their children if they don't have the faulty mitochondria and so more children won't have it.

Do you think it was a question that was right if you answered it yes or no, like as long as your explanation was right then you'd get the marks?
Original post by Lsford
Ah that sounds right, looks like I've got it wrong then... I put yes but then did say that children will still get faulty mitochondria etc. etc.

I don't really think you can get it "wrong" as such as it was a 'do you think' question. Pretty much anything you wrote should have got credit if it was reasonable.
Original post by Lsford
Do you think it was a question that was right if you answered it yes or no, like as long as your explanation was right then you'd get the marks?

Yeah. It was another ethics one so it just depends on the person
Reply 156
I don't really think you can get it "wrong" as such as it was a 'do you think' question. Pretty much anything you wrote should have got credit if it was reasonable.

Ah ok, maybe I did get some marks then. I don't remember everything I wrote but I don't think it was too bad- I hope!
Original post by Lsford
Ah ok, maybe I did get some marks then. I don't remember everything I wrote but I don't think it was too bad- I hope!

Haha yeah you probably did. All we can do now is wait and prepare for chemistry and physics!
Reply 158
Haha yeah you probably did. All we can do now is wait and prepare for chemistry and physics!

I did chemistry last year so just physics this year- thank god! Although I'm not looking forward to physics tbh
Original post by Lsford
I did chemistry last year so just physics this year- thank god! Although I'm not looking forward to physics tbh

Oh cool! See physics is my best science and I'm really confident with 456 :biggrin: dreading chem though. Do you do triple?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending