The Student Room Group

Unit 3 AQA Biology 10/06

i don't see a thread for this so can we all discuss the answers?
please tell me if i got something wrong

1)diffusion
active transport

it got heavier because outside was more dilute than inside so it moved down a conc gradient which is why that bag got the heaviest

bag with 4.2% i think it was? because the concentrations are similar so theres less net movement

2) i think it was the 6 marker?
ions by active transport because of the high conc in the cell but low conc in the soil. it moves upwards in the xylem for the left to use for making proteins (i don't think the uses are needed)
glucose made in the leaves by photosynthesis and move in the phloem down wards because other parts of the plant need it for growth/respiration (again i don't think you have to write the uses)
and water by osmosis as the soil is more dilute (high conc) than the root hair cell. it moves in the xylem upwards to the leaves because they need it for photosynthesis etc.

3) i think it was deforestation question? is it alright to talk about animals when it asked the ecosystem question? and also reasons for more trees going down, could it include that its being used for materials/fuels and that they are being cut down for land to use to grow crops?

4) I'm pretty sure this was about breathing. the diaphragm flattens. the thorax's volume increases.
the ill person's alveoli has a lessened surface area.
so, when exercising there is an insufficient supply of gas etc. so they respire not very well, something like that.

5) somewhere there was stuff about stomata.
guard cells control opening and closing
relationship: as the conc of co2 increases, the stomata on the underside of leaf decrease or vice versa.
this is because if there is a lower conc then it is harder for plants to obtain the co2 they need for photosynthesis so they will have more stomata to increase the surface area? that co2 has for diffusing.
why is it bad to have too many stomata? because there is more water loss when they open
one environmental factor: sunny, warm, windy

6) a question about veins and arteries. so what i wrote was that the structure difference is that arteries are wider and have more muscle fibres so they are able to stretch due to high pressures. veins on the other hand are thin and have valves to stop back flow of blood.

what is the difference in the contents? of the blood from the artery in the leg and blood from the vein in the leg?
in the artery there is oxygen in the blood. (i also wrote this means its brighter)
in the vein there is waste products which could include carbon dioxide.

advantages of those mice making blood?
1)it's readily available, because currently donors are a shortage
2) i don't know, can't remember, maybe that there is no side effects?

7) i think it was about being cold.
so you shiver = respiration = energy so you're warm
hairs stand up = insulating layer = less energy transfer
less/no sweat = no evaporation = less energy loss
capillaries supplying skin constrict = less blood flow = less energy loss by radiation

8) (these are in a jumbled order by the way) about blood glucose conc.
why is the donor pancreas rejected? because the antigens on the surface of the cells of the donor kidney are different to those of the ones in the recipient's body so the immune system thinks there is a foreign microoganism so makes antibodies to destroy it. this damages the donor organ

how does the machine help?
i said that after her meal the glucose high levels are detected by her sensor so the correct amount of insulin is calculated. then it is put into there body. it cause the glucose to move from the blood into cells for respiration and that some is stored as glycogen in the liver. this is how it normalises the levels.

advantges of the wireless sensors?
i said that they're a quick and automatic process?

9) mycoprotein question: i don't know why i didnt learn the process... :frown:
i did write that the fusurium fungus respires aerobically and that the oxygen gas needs to be added so it can respire... i said microorganisms too? if you have the answer comment it and i'll add it here lel

why making stem cell burgers will reduce global warming rates?
again i think the second one i have said is incorrect:
1) less cows needed because the demand for burgers will be made form stem cells, so less cows needed = less methane.
2)...no emissions? something stupid like that

and giving more advantage woo
1) i think i wrote that cows can be used for other things like milk? lol
2) animal activists are happy because animal's aren't dying.

any other questions i missed?
(edited 7 years ago)
I agree with all that, and yeah I think it was fine to talk about animals, that's what I did at any rate!
The second six marker was on the thermoregulatory system, not sure which question number. I put about shivering, vasoconstriction and hairs standing on end.
Can't really remember any others.
Reply 2
The question about diabetes and artificial pancreas.
Question about mycroprotein(last question)
Artificial food from stem cells, etc
Original post by wildjones
I agree with all that, and yeah I think it was fine to talk about animals, that's what I did at any rate!
The second six marker was on the thermoregulatory system, not sure which question number. I put about shivering, vasoconstriction and hairs standing on end.

phew because both my reasons were to do with animals!
Original post by Townart
The question about diabetes and artificial pancreas.
Question about mycroprotein(last question)
Artificial food from stem cells, etc

oh yes i'll add it on :smile:
For the second page on the graph I said less stomata means less carbon dioxide lost in respiration :frown: this is technically correct but I realised as SOON as I gave it in that the answer should have been photosynthesis :frown:
What do you think the 4 or 5 marks would be for the mycoprotein question? (was it 4 or 5?) I didn't learn it properly but knew the basis

- fungus, fusarium in a fermenter
- with glucose syrup
- in aerobic conditions
- the microorganisms respire so carbon dioxide is the waste gas
- mycoprotein is harvested and purified
For the question on affects of deforestation on ecosystems, I put the destruction of habitats, which can lead to extinction, and reduction in biodiversity
Original post by wildjones

aren't those for when the body temperature drops? cos the question asked about what the body does to cope with an INCREASE in body temperature
Original post by nairshreya11
aren't those for when the body temperature drops? cos the question asked about what the body does to cope with an INCREASE in body temperature

Yeah, for you it was an increase but for others it was a decrease. You did a different paper, that's been worked out on another post. I expect you had a six marker on blood? We didn't have that one:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending