The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics Unit 2 (PHYA2) June 9th 2016 Resit paper

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ben-Jam-In
this is a quote from the revision guide referring to a book on a table "this looks like newtons third law but it is not. Because both forces are acting on the book, and they're not of the same type. This is two separate interactions. The forces are equal and opposite, resulting in zero acceleration, so this is showing newton's 1st law" In other words it was not obeying newtons third law

Oh yeah that is true. So is the answer to the question on the paper regarding why Newton's third law is not obeyed - 'The two forces are not of the same type.' ? I put not the same magnitude which is probably wrong then.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WillRose
pics if u can

Yes please
Original post by CourtlyCanter
Oh yeah that is true. Does that answer to the question on the paper regarding why Newton's third law is not obeyed is probably 'The two forces are not of the same type.' ? I put not the same magnitude which is probably wrong then.

"Not of the same type"? Pretty sure you can put the magnitude thing. How is a reaction force the same as the weight anymore than air resistance is the same as thrust? Strange.
Anyone got a copy of the paper?
Q1 - Moments (a) centre of mass [1] (b) 196N [2] (c) boy balances [3]

Q2 - Projectiles (a i) 11.84 ms is about 12 ms-1 [2] (a ii) 10.73 ms-1 [2] (b i) 1.3 m height [2] (b ii) 13.9m horiz distance [1] (b at top, a at bottom) [2] (d) drawing graph - like a stretched V shape with straight lines [2]

Q3 - Rocket questions (a) 0.21 ms-2 [2] (b) newtons law Q's [3] (d) rocket will slow down, 670 force slows down enough [3]

Q4 springs (a) energy is transfrered not destroyed [2] (b i) velocity = 3.3 ms-1 [1] (b ii) 1.83 yup [1] (b iii) 0.183J [3] I can't believe you get a mark for Joules here!!!

Q5 6 marker - graph goes higher I think? [6]

Q6 waves - (a) progressive waves moving through medium [2] (b) (I) 0.6mm [1] (ii) 0.08m [1] (iii) 22.7 Hz [1] (iv) 1.81 ms-1 [1]

(c) sounds r longitudinal, sounds can interfere [1] (d) higher frequency = less diffraction so lower amplitude and shorter spread [3]

Q7 difraction grating (a) tick violet [1] (b) constructive interence question [3] (c) 17.1 [2] (d) n = 3rd order [3]

Q8 refractive index diamond (a) 24.4 degrees [2] (b) 18.5 degrees [2] (c) draw the path [2]

(d) moissanite refracts more, lower critical angle [2]

(e) IR speed in core = 4.65x10^8 [1] (e) wavelength in core 2x10-6 mm [2]

(f) cladding, to protect core from damage [1]

Not perfect as it's a quick run through, maarks are in square brackets
Reply 665
Oh yeah that is true. Does that answer to the question on the paper regarding why Newton's third law is not obeyed is probably 'The two forces are not of the same type.' ? I put not the same magnitude which is probably wrong then.

ahh man, I think I might have done the same. Do you remeber what you put for the last question on that page? The one that said why the forces acting on the aircraft wasnt a pair of forces.
Original post by boyyo
ahh man, I think I might have done the same. Do you remeber what you put for the last question on that page? The one that said why the forces acting on the aircraft wasnt a pair of forces.

That was my answer to that last question on the page. 'The forces have different magnitudes.' Did you think I was answering another part of the question?:s-smilie:
Original post by MiniMan64

Q2 - Projectiles (a i) 11.84 ms is about 12 ms-1 [2] (a ii) 10.73 ms-1 [2] (b i) 1.3 m height [2] (b ii) 13.9m horiz distance [1] (b at top, a at bottom) [2] (d) drawing graph - like a stretched V shape with straight lines [2]

Q3 - Rocket questions (a) 0.21 ms-2 [2] (b) newtons law Q's [3] (d) rocket will slow down, 670 force slows down enough [3]

Q4 springs (a) energy is transfrered not destroyed [2] (b i) velocity = 3.3 ms-1 [1] (b ii) 1.83 yup [1] (b iii) 0.183J [3] I can't believe you get a mark for Joules here!!!

Q6 waves - (a) progressive waves moving through medium [2] (b) (I) 0.6mm [1] (ii) 0.08m [1] (iii) 22.7 Hz [1] (iv) 1.81 ms-1 [1]

(c) sounds r longitudinal, sounds can interfere [1] (d) higher frequency = less diffraction so lower amplitude and shorter spread [3]

Q7 difraction grating (a) tick violet [1] (b) constructive interence question [3] (c) 17.1 [2] (d) n = 3rd order [3]

Q8 refractive index diamond (a) 24.4 degrees [2] (b) 18.5 degrees [2] (c) draw the path [2]

The IR speed in the core can't be 4.65x10^8, that's greater than c and light slows down in the core due to the higher refractive index compared to air.

Are you sure about those spring answers? I think I got the same but some people had some valid points about why it wasn't what we got.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CALI1198
Teachers aren't even meant to be in the exam hall and arent allowed to see the paper till 24 hours after. He was sitting reading the paper while we were writing it 😂

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

lol teachers like that are just jokes. no f*cks given

for question 6d - I don't agree that the amplitude was lower I thought it stayed the same? Also I said the wavelength was smaller so wave had smaller width and because A and B were fixed points you would see more waves between A and B.

also what was 7c - was that an angle?

The rest I think is right. Was the centre of mass definition only 1 mark?
60-64 / 70 ... What ums do you think that is on this exam
Original post by jamestordoff

Just a second I'll go contact the CEO of AQA and ask him for you.
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Just a second I'll go contact the CEO of AQA and ask him for you.

Erm , well I was intending on a non sarcastic answer from someone with a little class and humility but yeah sure ask away and let me know when you find out bro
Paper is sitting in front of me

Questions?

Do you think you could post a copy of the paper on here? :smile:

Got to be 110 or above :smile:
Original post by Qwertyabdc
Got to be 110 or above :smile:

Thank you :smile: how did you find it
Thank you :smile: how did you find it

Found it pretty hard ngl, think i got around the high 50's. Hoping for grade boundaries like last year. 58 for full ums :smile:
Reply 678
That was my answer to that last question on the page. 'The forces have different magnitudes.' Did you think I was answering another part of the question?:s-smilie:

lol yh, I thought you were talking about the similarity and difference one
Reply 679
Original post by Simple Harmonic
Yep, you ready?

how did u find it?
i thought it was ok

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending