The Student Room Group

A2 - Edexcel Psychology June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by psychemma
Which study are people doing as their study in detail for schizophrenia? Is it ok to do Gottesman & Shields?

I'm doing gottesman and shields so should be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DarceyKuypers
I'm doing gottesman and shields so should be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok that's good, I didn't want to do Goldstein because I find it so confusing!
Original post by DarceyKuypers
I don't know anyone who has said they've been able to finish the paper in time, you'd think edexcel would give us more time considering the very few people who actually do finish it.. I wouldn't worry about finishing it, just make sure the rest of your answers are good enough.. I've been told that the grade boundaries are always low on the paper because it's so hard to finish

Soo true. This is why (I think) I'm going to do the 18 marker first (gonna limit myself to 25 mins), then the 12 marker. The idea is to save the small questions until last so I can rush those, as oppose to rushing the essays, not finishing and getting capped :smile:
Ok that's good, I didn't want to do Goldstein because I find it so confusing!

What do you find confusing about it? I like it because the results are easy to remember

I haven't looked at it since we did it 3 months ago and I think the results are 1.12 and 2.24. It's a study looking into whether men or women have a harder time with schizophrenia.

I can still remember some evaluation if it'll help:
Generalisability: included men and women of different ages

Reliability: used 2(?) independent psychiarists to help with rediagnosis so high in inter-rater reliability

Application: Found men have a worse time so should be more help available
- Also shows DSM has problems with reliability as the ppts were originally diagnosed with DSM2(?) and she rediagnosed with DSM3(?) and found many were no longer 'considered' schizophrenic by DSM3's criteria

Validity: Used quantitative data (mean number of rehospitalisations) aswell as qualitative data (info on marital status, occupational status etc.)
- However lacks validity as sample was 18-40 year olds, research shows 9% of women don't experience their first major episode until 40+, so these women could suffer more

Ethics: rediagnosed schizophrenics which brings bad memories back and just reminds them when they may have found ways to cope
Original post by rileystringer1
You sure?

So for example, imagine we get in the exam on Tuesday and one of the questions is "Compare the biological explanation for schizophrenia with one other (6)". I write something like: The dopamine hypothesis explains schizophrenia as being caused by over-activity at synapses in the brain that are sensitive to dopamine. The social causation hypothesis suggests that the cause of schizophrenia is living in highly urbanised, densely populated areas of low economic status.

How many marks would I get? None, because I've describe two theories, I haven't made an explicit comparison. If it wanted two theories described plainly, it would ask for it.

I don't want to make anyone panic or say that I know what the mark scheme will look like, but I do know that in a comparison question you have to actually make comparisons rather than just stating how the explanations differ.

Spoiler

It said describe social learning theory and compare with one other explanation of crime or something. Therefore, you'd get six marks for a good description of SLT (A01 as it asked for describe.) then, if you said 'conversely/on the other hand self fulfilling prophecy explains Nicole's behaviour as XYZ' the use of the word 'converse/on the other hand' is an explicit comparison because you're saying SLT says but on the other hand SFP says this. That's all the question was asking for, if it was an evaluation, then you'd do similarities and differences

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone please send their notes on the key issue "understnading schizophrenia"? A sample answer as well would be excellent. Our teacher got pregnant and abandoned us before we got notes for that.
Are you actually doing research methods? :lol:

There has never been a question asking for an exemplar study for a research method, and if one comes up I will just use what I know like
Lab - loftus+palmer
Field - yuille and cutshall
Natural - charlton
Observation - ainsworth
Content analysis - my practical
Case study - Genie

Are you actually doing research methods? :lol:

There has never been a question asking for an exemplar study for a research method, and if one comes up I will just use what I know like
Lab - loftus+palmer
Field - yuille and cutshall
Natural - charlton
Observation - ainsworth
Content analysis - my practical
Case study - Genie

Yes I'm doing one that I have already done but the point is still in the spec so it's probably worth you looking at it?
Original post by Julieplec
It said describe social learning theory and compare with one other explanation of crime or something. Therefore, you'd get six marks for a good description of SLT (A01 as it asked for describe.) then, if you said 'conversely/on the other hand self fulfilling prophecy explains Nicole's behaviour as XYZ' the use of the word 'converse/on the other hand' is an explicit comparison because you're saying SLT says but on the other hand SFP says this. That's all the question was asking for, if it was an evaluation, then you'd do similarities and differences

Posted from TSR Mobile

it said compare with at least one other explanation
when they say compare they mean similarities and differences (which would have helped if they said that, they do sometimes)

if you wrote it out like how you said youre only making one comparison
other comparisons are (slt and sfp): both from social approach, both ignore bio factors, both have supporting evidence e.g, etc then you could bring in Eyncks personality theory compare it with slt
the comparing is how you pick up A02

i mean i hope you're right, then i'd be getting more than 5/6 marks but i think i am.
Original post by Julieplec

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay. Your opinion is yours à chacun ses goûts, if you think you're getting any more than 6 for describing instead of making comparisons then good 4 u

Original post by beccyyyy
Yes I'm doing one that I have already done but the point is still in the spec so it's probably worth you looking at it?

Nah in my opinion it's not worth learning like 10 research methods with studies
Original post by chickenfoot
it said compare with at least one other explanation
when they say compare they mean similarities and differences (which would have helped if they said that, they do sometimes)

if you wrote it out like how you said youre only making one comparison
other comparisons are (slt and sfp): both from social approach, both ignore bio factors, both have supporting evidence e.g, etc then you could bring in Eyncks personality theory compare it with slt
the comparing is how you pick up A02

i mean i hope you're right, then i'd be getting more than 5/6 marks but i think i am.

I agree with this which is why the max I'll get is 6 :lol:
Can someone possibly give me one strength of Beck's cognitive explanation for depression that doesn't involve research evidence as I don't like the one I have written down already
I agree with this which is why the max I'll get is 6 :lol:

what grade/mark do you think you got overall?
Does planning an experiment come up in every paper? Our teacher seemed to forget that was on the spec, and has never mentioned it..

Apart from the headings they give you as a guide, is there anything else you should include? Or any tips you have? :colondollar:

Do you have to know things like, Mann-Whitney U and Chi- squared, because I've forgotten all about those! :confused:

Thanks!!!
Original post by lillyjox
Does planning an experiment come up in every paper? Our teacher seemed to forget that was on the spec, and has never mentioned it..

Apart from the headings they give you as a guide, is there anything else you should include? Or any tips you have? :colondollar:

Do you have to know things like, Mann-Whitney U and Chi- squared, because I've forgotten all about those! :confused:

Thanks!!!

My teacher gave us a pneumonic for planning an expt (and yes i think it does always come up):
S ample
T echniques
E xperimental Method
E thics
M ethodology
D ata
And I don't think you have to learn about those things... hope this helps! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone possibly give me one strength of Beck's cognitive explanation for depression that doesn't involve research evidence as I don't like the one I have written down already

I have:
Research has shown that depressed people have negative thoughts and that the cognitive explanation for depression is backed up by both self-report data and other measures. The model is evidence based because there is a lot of research to support it

The cognitive model takes into account genes, early experiences and learning and suggests that developmental issues can lead to certain thinking patterns and core beliefs that predispose someone to depression

I hope that helps :smile:
Original post by lillyjox

Thanks!!!

Our teacher told us to learn: My very easy structure helps planning/designing studies

Method
Variables
Ethics
Sample
Hypothesis
Procedure
Design
Stats testing

Just try to include all these and you should be fine, although I am not sure on stats tests myself :frown: You don't need to know them in detail though I don't think
Can someone explain what falsifiable is for Is Psych a science? I do it in philosophy and seem to have got it confused!
Anyone know how many studies we should know for the reliability/validity of the DSM?
Original post by sophia.lega
Can someone explain what falsifiable is for Is Psych a science? I do it in philosophy and seem to have got it confused!

if something is falsifiable then it can be proved wrong :smile:

For example, take the 5 AS approaches - cognitive is scientific because of using controlled methods like experiments etc so can be replicated by others and therefore falsified - opposing evidence found and the contrastingly to this the psychodynamic approach is not scientific because very subjective and measuring the unconscious is hard & not open to direct testing - makes the theory unfalisifiable :smile:

Hope this helps!
Original post by PensiveChicken
Anyone know how many studies we should know for the reliability/validity of the DSM?

You don't need to know a certain amount, I would say about 3 for reliability and the same for validity

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending