The Student Room Group

WHITE MAN BAN Straight white able bodied men banned from attending top equality confe

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asiimov
I'll agree then that it has been misrepresented in the sense that it's not a ban from the whole conference. However it's still discriminatory to ban them from attending the groups, even if they wouldn't be interested in attending. The solution to there not being enough representation from the minority groups isn't banning the other people.

Look, I get what you're saying. The irony of an EQUALITY conference banning certain people because they don't fit the requirements isn't lost on me. But at the same time - there WILL be opportunities for white/straight/able-bodied men to make their views known - just not EVERY opportunity. And honestly, have you never been in a situation where you want to contribute but there are a couple of people who dominate the discussion? This is an attempt to eradicate that. It's also to ensure that people can discuss things without fear of unnecessarily insulting someone. I mean if you're a black lesbian upset because your white male colleague has been promoted over you when you were both suitable for the position, would you want your (possibly lovely, friendly, worthy) colleague to have to hear about how you're worried you didn't get the job because of your race/gender/orientation? And then possibly open up a situation where the colleague feels defensive about his promotion etc etc etc.

Do men really need to have their voice heard in absolutely every conceivable platform?
Original post by Asiimov
And people who aren't minorities wont have a unique perspective of their own? That point doesn't make any sense.

I'm torn between whether it really is racist or not, but what puts me over the edge into saying it is, is that were it a discussion group banning people who aren't white males I think it would have a large negative reaction from many who would agree with this.

This I can agree with, but it's not really the same. There was a time not too long ago when it was perfectly acceptable to ban people who weren't white males from doing stuff, and it happened frequently. Minorities were routinely discriminated against, and we don't want that to happen again. As a white male, it's very rare that I face any inequality. It can happen, but it's not an attitude deeply-ingrained in society.

It's fundamentally different, because discrimination against minority groups has been a huge problem in the past, and there are still left over attitudes from that. Strict anti-discrimination laws are meant to stop it ever becoming the case again. It's never going to be the case that white men are oppressed, but it has been and could be the case for other groups.

Original post by NickLCFC
If that's the case then I don't see why straight white men would even turn up in the first place. It's completely unnecessary to ban them.

Someone who isn't autistic wouldn't turn up to an autism group. Why would you need to ban them?

If nobody was turning up, why is everyone upset about being banned?
Original post by LannaBanana
Look, I get what you're saying. The irony of an EQUALITY conference banning certain people because they don't fit the requirements isn't lost on me. But at the same time - there WILL be opportunities for white/straight/able-bodied men to make their views known - just not EVERY opportunity. And honestly, have you never been in a situation where you want to contribute but there are a couple of people who dominate the discussion? This is an attempt to eradicate that. It's also to ensure that people can discuss things without fear of unnecessarily insulting someone. I mean if you're a black lesbian upset because your white male colleague has been promoted over you when you were both suitable for the position, would you want your (possibly lovely, friendly, worthy) colleague to have to hear about how you're worried you didn't get the job because of your race/gender/orientation? And then possibly open up a situation where the colleague feels defensive about his promotion etc etc etc.

Do men really need to have their voice heard in absolutely every conceivable platform?

In a way yes they do, because there is no reason to exclude them. If they want to hear the experiences of minorities more, then just pick them to speak. Its not hard, and it doesn't mean excluding people who may be interested in hearing the discussion or even offering their own view.
Original post by Asiimov
In a way yes they do, because there is no reason to exclude them. If they want to hear the experiences of minorities more, then just pick them to speak. Its not hard, and it doesn't mean excluding people who may be interested in hearing the discussion or even offering their own view.

There is a reason to exclude them though... being involved there is just being nosy! It's like a non-alcoholic turning up to an AA meaning. You might not want to do any harm, you might be genuinely interested in their stories, you might even have friends/family who are alcoholics, and hearing the other side will help you understand them better. All noble reasons! But not your place. Not only that, but white men are usually a lot more confident in their opinions, and can voice them much more easily - which can be intimidating for other people involved in the discussion. It's just being considerate. Banning them might seem like a step too far, or even pointless (like would white men even want to be involved and be outspoken when it wasn't required?!), but I'm going to assume that there's been a reason for the ban, i.e. gatecrashing in the past or something.
Original post by LannaBanana
There is a reason to exclude them though... being involved there is just being nosy! It's like a non-alcoholic turning up to an AA meaning. You might not want to do any harm, you might be genuinely interested in their stories, you might even have friends/family who are alcoholics, and hearing the other side will help you understand them better. All noble reasons! But not your place. Not only that, but white men are usually a lot more confident in their opinions, and can voice them much more easily - which can be intimidating for other people involved in the discussion. It's just being considerate. Banning them might seem like a step too far, or even pointless (like would white men even want to be involved and be outspoken when it wasn't required?!), but I'm going to assume that there's been a reason for the ban, i.e. gatecrashing in the past or something.

The being nosy argument doesn't make any sense. Someone else feeling uncomfortable because you're confident shouldn't be and is not your problem to deal with.
Original post by Asiimov
The being nosy argument doesn't make any sense. Someone else feeling uncomfortable because you're confident shouldn't be and is not your problem to deal with.

You're right it's not the white man's problem, it's the organising body to deal with - i.e. The UCU to make sure that for this conference on equality, people's voices are heard when they need to be. You can keep arguing but I'm done now - either you understand what I'm talking about, or you don't.
Reply 66
I for one can't believe the white supremacist, patriarchy is even allowing the subjugate classes to hold this conference. They must be going soft. Rest assured I will be writing to my local representative of the white patriarchy and demand they put a stop to it.
Original post by Asiimov

Right. So in a discussion group for disabled people, we should prioritise the feelings of non disabled people over the feelings of disabled people. Who cares if disabled people end up not benefitting much from the discussion group, that's their own fault.

People with the same ridiculous sense of entitlement as you are the reason the ban even exists.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Shumaya
Right. So in a discussion group for disabled people, we should prioritise the feelings of non disabled people over the feelings of disabled people. Who cares if disabled people end up not benefitting much from the discussion group, that's their own fault.

What a ridiculous sense of entitlement you have there.

Ah yes, it's entitlement to want everybody to have equal treatment. Disabled people should be encouraged to speak up and discuss more in the groups. Doesn't require banning other people. See ya.
Reply 69
Original post by Nidhoggr
Because racism is prejudice + power

Posted from TSR Mobile

Universities have tremendous power. Therefore, the predjudice many universities today exhibit towards white people, is by your own definition, racism.
Original post by WhiteMan16
STRAIGHT white men have been banned from attending a top university lecturers’ union conference on EQUALITY.

The University and College Union (UCU) says it will only allow members who identify themselves as gay, disabled, female or of an ethnic minority to attend their yearly equality gathering.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1248386/straight-white-able-bodied-men-banned-from-attending-top-equality-conference/

If this is true, and not a beat-up by the Sun, then the UCU has broken the law. Discrimination against anyone on the basis of race, sex or sexuality (including white men) is illegal.
Original post by Nidhoggr
Because racism is prejudice + power

No it's really not. That's a definition made up by SJWs so they can assert black people cannot be racist.

Racism is prejudice against another race based on the belief they are different or inferior
Original post by wickedisgood
Racism against white people is not a thing. You can be prejudiced to white people, you can't be racist. Racism is based on systematic oppression and power structures that suggest that there is a race that is superior to others. White people have the power in society and do not experience oppression on the basis of their race, therefore it's not racism.

I do think it doesn't make sense to not allow straight, white, able-bodied men at all though; maybe they should have just had a maximum number or something.

But it's funny how if this was reversed and it was another all-white-guys conference and a minority group complained about it, they'd say people were overreacting and it wasn't a big deal.

Original post by Multiculturalism
Even if you could be racist to whites in a white majority country, the fact is there is nothing stopping whites from identifying as gay, disabled or female. As long as you don't identify as straight white male, you are allowed to enter.

"Racism cant happen to white people" What a insane and stupid view, Racism can happen to anyone No matter what race you are. It is views like this that create problems.
"Racism is based on systematic oppression and power structures that suggest that there is a race that is superior to others. White people have the power in society and do not experience oppression on the basis of their race, therefore it's not racism. "
Nope not true, Not the real definition Might want to read the actual definition. White people do not have all the power there are many black and non white people in positions of power all across the world. What about in Zimbabwe where white farmers were turfed out due to them being white and Zimbabwe is for the blacks and not white people. Is that racism yes it is.

ANYONE CAN EXPERIENCE RACISM/SEXISM.
Original post by Multiculturalism
Even if you could be racist to whites in a white majority country, the fact is there is nothing stopping whites from identifying as gay, disabled or female. As long as you don't identify as straight white male, you are allowed to enter.

That is illegal discrimination.

There are many legitimate reasons why someone who doesn't identify as possessing one of those characteristics might be interested in attending (to hear the discussion, to demonstrate solidarity).

This is plain old discrimination, and in the 21st century it's illegal to discriminate on the basis of race or sexuality. That applies to white people and heterosexuals too
Original post by AperfectBalance
"Racism cant happen to white people" What a insane and stupid view, Racism can happen to anyone No matter what race you are. It is views like this that create problems.
"Racism is based on systematic oppression and power structures that suggest that there is a race that is superior to others. White people have the power in society and do not experience oppression on the basis of their race, therefore it's not racism. "
Nope not true, Not the real definition Might want to read the actual definition. White people do not have all the power there are many black and non white people in positions of power all across the world. What about in Zimbabwe where white farmers were turfed out due to them being white and Zimbabwe is for the blacks and not white people. Is that racism yes it is.

It confuses the subject to bring up Zimbabwe because you're simply confirming the misconception that racism only occurs where one group has power over the other. Racism can happen to white people in a white majority country. Racism can happen to black people in a black majority country.

It has nothing to do with "systematic oppression"; this is a ******** definition (as you did, in fairness, point out) made up by SJWs so they can claim black people can't be racist and women can't be sexist. Racism is being prejudiced against another race from the belief they are different or inferior
If it was a lecture on oppression this would be okay, because straight white able bodied men aren't oppressed. This isn't really fair. But it's not a massive deal. Are they letting in straight white able bodied trans men?
Original post by wickedisgood
Living in one of the 'most tolerant' countries doesn't mean oppression doesn't still exist in a systematic sense. Women do not have equal pay, the majority of the higher ups in this country are white men, although it's under the radar and hard to prove, there's still high chances of people of colour losing out on jobs due to their race. Things are improving, I know that, but it's not fully gone at all.

Maybe people aren't actively saying 'these groups of people are bad', but saying that there is no oppression and that everyone is treated equally in terms of 'the system' would be ignorant.

The fact that it's 2016 and people still believe in the gender pay gap is frankly frightening. I got this one:

The pay gap is absolutely a construct. Like, it's utterly refuted. The regularly quoted figure is something like women earn around 20% less than men. This figure is arrived at by adding up all the money men and women earn, and comparing the numbers. This is obviously a daft way to do such a comparison. If you compare men and women in the same role, working the same hours and with the same level of education, the pay gap drops to between 3% in favour of men, to 3% in favour of women. In fact, under the age of 35, the pay gap is most definitely in favour of women:

http://time.com/3222543/5-feminist-m...-will-not-die/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/karinagn.../#2edd652d4766
http://now.org/resource/the-gender-p...-myth-vs-fact/
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ha...rticle/2580405
http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...rning-more-men
Original post by Thutmose-III
It confuses the subject to bring up Zimbabwe because you're simply confirming the misconception that racism only occurs where one group has power over the other. Racism can happen to white people in a white majority country. Racism can happen to black people in a black majority country.

It has nothing to do with "systematic oppression"; this is a ******** definition (as you did, in fairness, point out) made up by SJWs so they can claim black people can't be racist and women can't be sexist. Racism is being prejudiced against another race from the belief they are different or inferior

Yeah totally agree with this, just wanted to give a example of a pretty extreme black on white racism that there is no real justification to. Glad to see there are sensible people on this site
You can just think of it as a conspiracy to keep white, straight, able bodied men the only sane people in society then. Surely nothing objectively good can come out of such an imbecilic conference; they can only be a bad influence. So, white men, rejoice!

Or maybe not really because the health of the entirety of society determines individual welfare, but oh well.
Reply 79
Any race group can be subjected to racism or oppression. At least in the West, the 'racism' is very minor, compared to somewhere like South Africa for example, where there is currently a genocide on white people taking place, which no one cares to talk about because you know, only white people are oppressors and can never be victims.....

'While most of the world refuses to acknowledge what is happening in largely communist-controlled South Africa, the non-profit group Genocide Watch declared last month that preparations for genocidal atrocities against white South African farmers were underway and that the early phases of genocide had possibly already begun. In the long run, Genocide Watch chief Dr. Gregory Stanton explained, powerful communist forces also hope to abolish private-property ownership and crush all potential resistance.

According to experts and official figures, at least 3,000 white farmers in South Africa, known as Boers, have been brutally massacred over the last decade. Many more, including children and even infants, have also been raped or tortured so savagely that mere words could not possibly convey the horror. And the problem is growing worse, international human rights monitors and South African exiles say."
Source: http://www.thenewamerican.com/world-...unist-takeover

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending