The Student Room Group

Edexcel Biology (Unofficial) B2 Mark Scheme.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by bue34 c
Ok so what did you guys think about the paper? was it hard? was it alright? was it easy?

It wasn't bad. Some of the questions were outright confusing, the 1st six marker took a little time, for me anyway, and looking back I made some silly mistakes. Hoping for A at least. I don't think an A* is realistic at this point! Also hoping that Chemistry is a nicer paper and Edexcel don't pull the crap that they did on that P1!!
Original post by bue34 c
i got that but its wrong because after the exam i realised 3 bases/ codon = 1 amino acid thus 620 * 3 not divide

Yh I think times is right and hence i did times in the exam
Original post by grace143
I think question 1 part b was just 'mitochondria' for one mark :smile:

Thankyou! Do you remember the answer to part c? The one with the difference of anaerobic and aerobic respiration in a yeast cell!
Yeah,I divided too but I see what I did wrong there!
:smile:
Original post by Asfand786
what about Vacuole?

how many marks was that question?
I'm going to fail that because my freaking Science teachers put me in for higher when on the numerous times we've been asked what we're doing I've said foundation. Idiots. If they expect me to pay £50 to get the other two papers swapped they can get stuffed.
Original post by keepyourapology
Thankyou! Do you remember the answer to part c? The one with the difference of anaerobic and aerobic respiration in a yeast cell!

Aerobic respiration uses more oxygen. Anaerobic produces lactic acid??
Reply 127
Anyone else get 70 bases as their answer for the 630 amino acids question?
Original post by samesea
I'm going to fail that because my freaking Science teachers put me in for higher when on the numerous times we've been asked what we're doing I've said foundation. Idiots. If they expect me to pay £50 to get the other two papers swapped they can get stuffed.

Cant you just swap ur paper last minute? Pretty sure if you asked one of the invigulators they would've gave u a foundation paper?
Reply 129
Original post by Cut

You had multiply 630 by 3 for that one, I think.
Original post by Cut

NO cuz one amino acid has 3 bases. And you times 3 by the number of amino acids
Original post by SOULEAZ
Cant you just swap ur paper last minute? Pretty sure if you asked one of the invigulators they would've gave u a foundation paper?

Nope - I asked before the start of the exam and they told me to do the one I was entered for. A bunch of other people had been switched without being told, too. It's an absolute joke. Unless I cough up £50 to switch the next two exams I'm going to be stuck on a paper I should not have been entered for.

Additional Science is the one subject I really struggle in and they've gone and done this to me. I suppose the A in the CATs might boost my grade a little, but there's only so much that they can do.
I said the question one differently. I said bacterial cells have chromosomal DNA and plasmids and sometimes a flagellum. Do you think I wouldn't get the marks because I worded it differently?
How did everyone find it though? Any predicted grade boundaries??
Oh yeah what was the answer for that question about capiliaries? was it by a process called diffusion?
Reply 135
Original post by SOULEAZ
Oh yeah what was the answer for that question about capiliaries? was it by a process called diffusion?

Yeah that's what I got
Original post by keepyourapology

I believe that question told you the anaerobic respiration equation for yeast and asked you to describe the differences between aerobic and anaerobic respiration in yeast. it was for 2 marks, I put aerobic respiration in yeast uses oxygen and glucose whilst anaerobic respiration in yeast only uses glucose which i think is enough to get me 1 mark.
I thought this exam was okay but some of the questions were kinda dodgy and I made so many mistakes. So I'm pretty sure I got an A not an A*. I hope c2 and p2 are nice because I'm hoping there's still a chance I can get A* overall in additional :tongue:
Original post by caitlinford3
Yeah - I don't really know where people are getting 17 from.

Yea me neither
The answer to the graph pH question about enzymes (it was with the yeast cell question). Here's how I worked it out:
Sucrose was higher, lactose lower (I think?) so I connected the dots and did some maths.
I divided the lactose result by the sucrose result for both pH 9 and pH 7 and got the same answer, so I timesed that answer by the sucrose result for pH 5 and got 16 with decimal places, rounded it up to 17 so the answer was 17.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending