The Student Room Group

AQA Chemistry Unit 2 (resit) CHEM2 10th June

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
man this exam was the worstive ever seen grade boundries i hope will fall
Original post by Hopefulmedic15
What did everyone put for the observations for Mg with steam (I got the white solid formed but wasn't sure for the second one so put squeaky pop for the Hydrogen gas

It was a white solid and a bright white flame
What did people put for the intermolecular forces one about distilling and reflux?
Great paper - The only real curveball was the method of rate of hydrolysis questions which was a HSW question.

Think I've got about 95ish there, only time will tell though!
Original post by 97Y
Tbh I think that I really know my stuff and I didn't find it -that- easy..

Yeah there were definitely a few odd questions. They also wanted state symbols for a lot of the equations and I think people may have made stupid mistakes with these (including myself!). Not a bad paper though
Hydrogen bonding exists between carboxylic acids, only dipole-dipole exists between aldehydes therefore aldehydes are boiled off at a lower temperature than carboxylic acids.
Original post by Windowswind123
What did people put for the intermolecular forces one about distilling and reflux?

I put that the carboxylic had hydrogen bonding due to the OH group so it couldn't be distilled. I honestly had no clue what they were after.
Original post by lahigueraxxx
It was a white solid and a bright white flame

Is this the resit or the new spec paper??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
i feel pretty sad now considering how people are responding it seems like grade boundries will be high.
Original post by AJtheconfusedcat
Is this the resit or the new spec paper??

Posted from TSR Mobile

The resit... I now see why you're called 'AJtheconfusedcat' haha
Original post by ManOfJustTin
I put that the carboxylic had hydrogen bonding due to the OH group so it couldn't be distilled. I honestly had no clue what they were after.

Hydrogen bonds in carboxylic acid and dipole dipole in aldehyde (in the unit 4 textbook)
Reply 91
Original post by ManOfJustTin

Same here, I can't find it stated explicitly anywhere in the kerboodle book though
Original post by man i
i feel pretty sad now considering how people are responding it seems like grade boundries will be high.

Don't worry now, there's nothing we can do. I'm sure there will be many stupid mistakes in each paper and also many people like yourself will have found it hard. There is always hope!
What did people put for the role of H2SO4 in the reaction with sodium iodide?? I put oxidising agent, but it was a really badly worded question..
Reply 94
Original post by Windowswind123

I Put that the carboxylic acid has stronger IM forces so a higher melting point whereas the aldehyde has a lower melting point and can be distilled off
So id defo get 0 marks for the method questions cause i said add dilute ammonia and time to see how long it takes to completely dissolve
Reply 96
Yeah there were definitely a few odd questions. They also wanted state symbols for a lot of the equations and I think people may have made stupid mistakes with these (including myself!). Not a bad paper though

What??? How many questions did they want state symbols for? I didn't really notice!
What did people put for the role of H2SO4 in the reaction with sodium iodide?? I put oxidising agent, but it was a really badly worded question..

I also put oxidising agent. I found it so hard to know what they wanted for the full equation beforehand though since my half equations didn't include sodium
Reply 98
Effervescence in steam doesn't make sense. White flame + white solid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
I think misty fumes is also an observation for the reaction

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest