The Student Room Group

AQA German GCSE 8th June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NiamhM1801
The opinion of his aunt was very generous (großzügig), and the disadvantage was that you can't make calls on it.

yup I got that too :biggrin:
What did u guys get for the question about the Sea, as in why that guy didn't like it (listening). Apparently he said he loves the North, but I heard Ich Lebe not Liebe so idek...
The opinion of his aunt was very generous (großzügig), and the disadvantage was that you can't make calls on it.

Damn, got that one wrong. At least I didn't put fat like my friend because he heard groß.
Original post by Xxxibgdrgn
What did u guys get for the question about the Sea, as in why that guy didn't like it (listening). Apparently he said he loves the North, but I heard Ich Lebe not Liebe so idek...

He definitely said "ich lebe in Nord"

He said something like "der Sonne ist nicht für mich"- the sun isn't for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So, considering we've all done the paper and thought about some of the answers: what do you think the grade boundaries will be like for the two papers? Personaly I think it'll be quite high for the reading and average-to-low for the listening.
Original post by Nudelauflauf
So, considering we've all done the paper and thought about some of the answers: what do you think the grade boundaries will be like for the two papers? Personaly I think it'll be quite high for the reading and average-to-low for the listening.

Last year's listening was as follows; A*: 29/40, A: 27/40, B: 25/40 and C: 23/40. Reading was; A*: 35/45, A: 30/40, B: 25/45 and so forth. Those are lower than that of the previous year, with listening at; A*: 33/40 and A: 30/40.

My German teacher told me that the last question on the reading paper looked similar to an A-level text, so I'm thinking that the grade boundaries for reading will be something like; A*: 36/45, A: 30-32/45, etc. Listening will probably be reasonable, with an A*: 32/40, and an A: 28-30/40.

Here's a link that might help you out: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums :smile:
Original post by GCShElpme
Last year's listening was as follows; A*: 29/40, A: 27/40, B: 25/40 and C: 23/40. Reading was; A*: 35/45, A: 30/40, B: 25/45 and so forth. Those are lower than that of the previous year, with listening at; A*: 33/40 and A: 30/40.

My German teacher told me that the last question on the reading paper looked similar to an A-level text, so I'm thinking that the grade boundaries for reading will be something like; A*: 36/45, A: 30-32/45, etc. Listening will probably be reasonable, with an A*: 32/40, and an A: 28-30/40.

Here's a link that might help you out: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums :smile:

You think this year's listening was easier than last year's? I thought it was significantly harder - I got 39 in last year's.
You think this year's listening was easier than last year's? I thought it was significantly harder - I got 39 in last year's.

Some of the questions were relatively challenging (for me, the positive/negative/positive and negative ones in particular), but I actually found last year's listening to be quite easy.
Some of the questions were relatively challenging (for me, the positive/negative/positive and negative ones in particular), but I actually found last year's listening to be quite easy.

So did I - the mark I lost was because I zoned out and didn't hear the audio!
That's what I'm saying, how come you think this year's boundary for an A* will be higher than last year's if the paper was harder?
So did I - the mark I lost was because I zoned out and didn't hear the audio!
That's what I'm saying, how come you think this year's boundary for an A* will be higher than last year's if the paper was harder?

The majority of people that I've spoken with about it thought that the paper was fairly easy. I'm aiming for an A or an A* (my coursework is at full UMS, so hopefully the later of the two, though I wouldn't be too disappointed with an A), so I need to get either a high A or an A*- unfourtunately, I made a couple of stupid mistakes in the listening!

Yeah, I think these are probably quite accurate predictions actually. The only thing I'd say is that the reading one might be higher because, although that last question was hard, I found the others really pretty easy.
The majority of people that I've spoken with about it thought that the paper was fairly easy. I'm aiming for an A or an A* (my coursework is at full UMS, so hopefully the later of the two, though I wouldn't be too disappointed with an A), so I need to get either a high A or an A*- unfourtunately, I made a couple of stupid mistakes in the listening!

Wow...I found the middle of the listening horrendous! I'm also aiming for an A*. My coursework is 119/120, so whatever that is in UMS lol. I know I made some errors in listening, hopefully I did well in reading though as I found that really nice.
Is anyone here planning on doing German at A-level? I take both German and French so if anyone has any questions... :biggrin:
Yes, I'm planning to take german and spanish. Is there a big difference in terms of difficulty between gcse and a level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by La_magicienne
Is anyone here planning on doing German at A-level? I take both German and French so if anyone has any questions... :biggrin:

I ammm!! :ahee: What's it like? :colone:

Original post by Kahleesi
Yes, I'm planning to take german and spanish. Is there a big difference in terms of difficulty between gcse and a level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

^^
Original post by karmacrunch
I ammm!! :ahee: What's it like? :colone:

^^

Okay where do I start... :smile: I've really enjoyed German at A-Level (I'm doing A2 currently and my exam is next Thursday, so it's nearly over for me) so much so that I am going to study languages at university in October!

I was initially nervous about the demands of taking two languages at A-level because of time management, as well as the speaking exams because I'm not so confident as a person. However doing both has been the best decision!

There is a definite jump from GCSE to A-Level but because there is arguably a jump for every subject, I don't think it is anything massive. I would say that you have got to really be sure that it's something you enjoy before taking it for A-level, because it comes with a lot of time spent on memrise (or other ways to learn vocab), there's quite a bit of vocab to learn! The main difference is that you can't really get by like at GCSE by just memorising paragraphs... you learn to use the language properly and by the end of A2, reach a decent level of fluency I'd say. In order to do well, what I had to do most for German (more so than French because of the German grammar and cases etc) was to really knuckle down on the grammar at the start of AS, but that's really helped in the long run although it was challenging to begin with. It's not really an easy option for A-Level but is any subject? :tongue: The speaking exam is quite different to GCSE just because you have to be quite spontaneous, but saying that, I know people who never practiced speaking German or taking part in the lessons last year, and still managed to get B's overall at AS! It's possible. I found it to be really satisfying and it looks amazing to have a language A-level (even just at AS) on your CV because so few people choose it nowadays! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kahleesi

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I've said above, there is.... but it's mainly just that you have to learn to use it properly rather than just learning paragraphs off by heart! If you really enjoy it like I do, the revision and practise is completely painless because you can watch anything on any topic, films, the news, documentaries, music in the language, and still be improving without even realising you are doing work! In terms of taking two languages, I didn't do Spanish but I found French and German to be really great (much preferable to my other subjects :smile:) and I liked the way that both gave the opportunity to be creative, such as in the speaking exam (which really isn't that bad, it's an opportunity to have a chat in a language you love, and you get marks for giving lots of your own opinions, that's all!) - I really recommend them!!
Okay where do I start... :smile: I've really enjoyed German at A-Level (I'm doing A2 currently and my exam is next Thursday, so it's nearly over for me) so much so that I am going to study languages at university in October!

I was initially nervous about the demands of taking two languages at A-level because of time management, as well as the speaking exams because I'm not so confident as a person. However doing both has been the best decision!

There is a definite jump from GCSE to A-Level but because there is arguably a jump for every subject, I don't think it is anything massive. I would say that you have got to really be sure that it's something you enjoy before taking it for A-level, because it comes with a lot of time spent on memrise (or other ways to learn vocab), there's quite a bit of vocab to learn! The main difference is that you can't really get by like at GCSE by just memorising paragraphs... you learn to use the language properly and by the end of A2, reach a decent level of fluency I'd say. In order to do well, what I had to do most for German (more so than French because of the German grammar and cases etc) was to really knuckle down on the grammar at the start of AS, but that's really helped in the long run although it was challenging to begin with. It's not really an easy option for A-Level but is any subject? :tongue: The speaking exam is quite different to GCSE just because you have to be quite spontaneous, but saying that, I know people who never practiced speaking German or taking part in the lessons last year, and still managed to get B's overall at AS! It's possible. I found it to be really satisfying and it looks amazing to have a language A-level (even just at AS) on your CV because so few people choose it nowadays! :smile:

I really wish I was doing A Level...my sixth form aren't running it because I'm the only one who picked it :frown:
I was planning on doing an A-level German, but one of my teachers said the workload was immense and you had to have a huge understanding of grammar AND vocab. I do enjoy languages but I don't want to risk it affecting my other subjects, what do you think?

I really wish I was doing A Level...my sixth form aren't running it because I'm the only one who picked it :frown:

Awww no! That is such a shame. I was the only one in my A-level French class this year and it still went ahead (at AS there were two of us:smile:) and in German we had 4 at AS-Level, and 2 of us carried on to A2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending