The Student Room Group

OCR 21st Century Science B4 B5 B6 10th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rkp123
Apparently some people got 1:639 / 1/639 but I don't get how and apparently that's the answer ??

It was 1:639, because for every 1 diseased person you have 639 healthy people, as there are a total of 640,000 people, of which 100,000 are diseased, so simplify the numbers and you get 1/640, but since it's a ratio you're not saying "1 diseased person out of 640 healthy people", you're saying "1 diseased person for every 639 healthy people".
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
It was 1:639, because for every 1 diseased person you have 639 healthy people, as there are a total of 640,000 people, of which 100,000 are diseased, so simplify the numbers and you get 1/640, but since it's a ratio you're not saying "1 diseased person out of 640 healthy people", you're saying "1 diseased person for every 639 healthy people".

couldn't you technically say both though?
You could say it affects 1 person every 640 (out of 640 people it will affect 1 person) people but also 1 person for every 639 other people

edit:
nvm I get it now because you had to put it in a ratio **** lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 47Frenzy
couldn't you technically say both though?
You could say it affects 1 person every 640 (out of 640 people it will affect 1 person) people but also 1 person for every 639 other people

edit:
nvm I get it now because you had to put it in a ratio **** lol

Surely though you could put 1/640, I've seen on previous mark schemes that you can put a fraction for a question asking about ratio.
Does anyone have a copy of the paper?
6 Mark Questions (FOR DECEMBER MOCKS 2016 GCSE)
B4: Limiting factors to Photosynthesis
B5: The Cell Cycle
B6: Mylene Sheath - Comparing someone who's is damaged (multiple sclerosis) and a normal one
Reply 185
Original post by MmathewOc
6 Mark Questions (FOR DECEMBER MOCKS 2016 GCSE)
B4: Limiting factors to Photosynthesis
B5: The Cell Cycle
B6: Mylene Sheath - Comparing someone who's is damaged (multiple sclerosis) and a normal one

don't think it will be the same paper for mocks because of the new igcses w new specifications, papers and stuff
Reply 186
Original post by eviemason
Surely though you could put 1/640, I've seen on previous mark schemes that you can put a fraction for a question asking about ratio.

Yeah that's what I put because that's what they say like '1 in every 640' it sort of makes sense because it means that 639/640 are unaffected and 1/640 is
unoffical mark scheme pleaaaaseeeeee???!!!!!!
Original post by Aishoolimoo
I said stage B

I said that stage A was meiosis to create gametes then stage C was mitosis cos it showed a tadpole with an arrow pointing to a grown frog so I was thinking mitosis is used to growth. I thought stage B was just fertilisation cos it was just a fertilised egg... I could be wrong
Can someone create a thread for additional chemistry next week??
I put Amy as the reflex modify...thing...question.
Any one else?
Or am I completely wrong.
Reply 191
Original post by tereziscool
I put Amy as the reflex modify...thing...question.
Any one else?
Or am I completely wrong.

I put Amy too
Reply 192
Guys !! I talked about enzymes at different temperature and pH levels in the B4 6 mark question, is this right or was I expected to write about photosynthesis ?
No I wrote about the ph and temperature as well and how they can change the active site of an enzyme
Original post by 123 123
Guys !! I talked about enzymes at different temperature and pH levels in the B4 6 mark question, is this right or was I expected to write about photosynthesis ?

I wrote about Enzymes too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shlokz12
I put Amy too

Same!
Original post by nikjaxon
unoffical mark scheme pleaaaaseeeeee???!!!!!!

If feel exactly the same!
Original post by Char4ncubex
I said that stage A was meiosis to create gametes then stage C was mitosis cos it showed a tadpole with an arrow pointing to a grown frog so I was thinking mitosis is used to growth. I thought stage B was just fertilisation cos it was just a fertilised egg... I could be wrong

You're right.
Has any1 got an unofficial mark scheme please? TY!
Reply 199
Original post by NiamhM1801
My friend put something along those lines. I'm pretty sure I misinterpreted the question - I thought it meant AFTER the methanol had already been broken down so I had no idea how ethanol would cure that. I might have got 2 marks for writing that they both have similar shapes (1) so they both fit into the active site (1). Might be being a bit ambitious there though haha

Sounds like you should get some marks from that. It was an unusual question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending