The Student Room Group

Depending on your husband for money in 2016 is deplorable

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elivercury
So only things that require skill are difficult and worth doing?

Only jobs that require skill and intelligence are difficult. I didn't say that housework isn't worth doing but the fact is most people do that and still have a job.

I suggest you try doing a few 12-14 hour shifts at a menial job, then tell me about how easy it was. Or are you able to talk away that as being easy without doing it either?

It would be boring but easy. You're again bringing up this stupid argument that I can only talk about what I've experienced.

Incidentally, bringing up a child may not necessarily require skill or intelligent, but if you don't put them into it, they're probably not going to grow up very well or be especially intelligent themselves.

So any children raised by parents who are unintelligent will also be unintelligent? What a ridiculous thing to suggest. Parenting isn't a skill, most people don't go on course to learn how to raise children. Instead they let there morals guide how the should handle their children.

Just to confirm, you are aware that "women" are not some gigantic hivemind right?

I think you should remind some feminists that same is true of men

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
Only jobs that require skill and intelligence are difficult. I didn't say that housework isn't worth doing but the fact is most people do that and still have a job.

It would be boring but easy. You're again bringing up this stupid argument that I can only talk about what I've experienced.

So any children raised by parents who are unintelligent will also be unintelligent? What a ridiculous thing to suggest. Parenting isn't a skill, most people don't go on course to learn how to raise children. Instead they let there morals guide how the should handle their children.

I think you should remind some feminists that same is true of men

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suspect that if you spent a few weeks working in a very physically demanding job your outlook on how easy or difficult they are might change. There is more to jobs than how mentally demanding they are. Your opinions are ultimately formed by your experience and if you lack it then your opinions are going to clearly be uninformed.

By your logic anyone who isn't a rocket scientist should never be tired or have a hard time, as they clearly never do anything difficult.

I'm assuming you are also drawing upon your many years of raising children with your statement about parenting? It can be very physically and mentally demanding, depending on how much effort you put into it. It is of course not impossible for children with poor parents to succeed, but succeeding in spite of and succeeding due to your parents are two very different things.

If the subject was about how men were all the same I would happily make (and have happily made several times) the same point about an entire gender not being a hivemind.
I suspect that if you spent a few weeks working in a very physically demanding job your outlook on how easy or difficult they are might change. There is more to jobs than how mentally demanding they are. Your opinions are ultimately formed by your experience and if you lack it then your opinions are going to clearly be uninformed.

Being a housewife isn't 'very physically demanding'. You can have an opinion based on things other than your experience; I would say that being raped would be horrible but I've never been raped.

By your logic anyone who isn't a rocket scientist should never be tired or have a hard time, as they clearly never do anything difficult.

I didn't say that, I said any job that doesn't require skill isn't difficult.

I'm assuming you are also drawing upon your many years of raising children with your statement about parenting? It can be very physically and mentally demanding, depending on how much effort you put into it. It is of course not impossible for children with poor parents to succeed, but succeeding in spite of and succeeding due to your parents are two very different things.

Why is being a parent physically demanding? And I'm correct in assuming you're basing all of your opinions on your many years of being a housewife and parent?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
Being a housewife isn't 'very physically demanding'. You can have an opinion based on things other than your experience; I would say that being raped would be horrible but I've never been raped.

I didn't say that, I said any job that doesn't require skill isn't difficult.

Why is being a parent physically demanding? And I'm correct in assuming you're basing all of your opinions on your many years of being a housewife and parent?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm basing my opinions on the numerous knackered friends I have with children and my own experiences, yes. Although I'm not a housewife.

I'll agree that sitting in a neat home doing a bit of hoovering/washing and throwing tea on is easy. Looking after a household involving children etc. for 14-18 hours a day, seven days a week, is something of a different matter. All the young fathers at my work look forward to coming to work because dealing with the children at home is much more difficult/tiring. Dealing with children is draining, albeit rewarding.

Incidentally, it doesn't need to be the wife at home, there are plenty of stay at home husbands.

I would also note that women are often expected to maintain the household even if they work, which can't be especially fun or fair.
Original post by Hydeman
Damn right. :angry: :fuhrer:

What's your problem? I always had you down as the women shouldn't stay at home type :tongue: :mmm:
Never knew you liked the idea of a housewife..
I'm basing my opinions on the numerous knackered friends I have with children and my own experiences, yes. Although I'm not a housewife.

So you're not basing being a housewife from your own experience then, something you've made out I need before I can have an opinion.

I'll agree that sitting in a neat home doing a bit of hoovering/washing and throwing tea on is easy. Looking after a household involving children etc. for 14-18 hours a day, seven days a week, is something of a different matter. All the young fathers at my work look forward to coming to work because dealing with the children at home is much more difficult/tiring. Dealing with children is draining, albeit rewarding.

14-18 hours a day? Be realistic, you wouldn't be cooking, cleaning and dealing with children for 18 hours a day, before children reach school age they're supposed to sleep for 13 hours out of 24. Besides, to use your logic, you're not a housewife so you can't have that opinion,

Incidentally, it doesn't need to be the wife at home, there are plenty of stay at home husbands.

Well there far rarer, around 1/10 stay at home parents are male, although I'm not really sure what relevance this has.

I would also note that women are often expected to maintain the household even if they work, which can't be especially fun or fair.

Of all of the families I know that is not the case with one exception which is because the woman works for about 4 hours a day and the man usually works about three times as long.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by queen-bee
What's your problem? I always had you down as the women shouldn't stay at home type :tongue: :mmm:
Never knew you liked the idea of a housewife..

You assumed wrongly. :colonhash:
I would very much like a domestic, nurturing-type wife. :sogood:

Other women can do what they want - this is just what I want for myself.
(edited 7 years ago)

This is a very good point, was waiting for someone to bring this up. Not really much to say other than the fact that this shouldn't be happening.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hydeman
You assumed wrongly. :colonhash:
I would very much like a domestic, nurturing-type wife. :sogood:

Other women can do what they want - this is just what I want for myself.

And nobody is actually stopping you :wink:
Original post by queen-bee
And nobody is actually stopping you :wink:

I didn't say anyone was. :tongue:
Keep up up :bee:, smh.
Original post by Quantex
If a man is willing to perform like a trained seal for 40 years to keep a woman in comfort, then why not take advantage of it?

Exactly.

Plus marriage is an increasingly bad deal for men these days.

#nevergettingmarriedcrew

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zayn is Bae
In this day and age when women's rights have come so far, there's still so many women who are are willing to marry for money, which is quite frankly a disgrace. Women who are housewives also need to take a long hard look at themselves and reassess their lives, as it's basically an admission that they can't be assed to work hard for themselves so they'll marry someone who does it for them. Also Muslim women who say this in 2016 are wrong as well, in the past it's been somewhat dangerous for a woman to work but there's no excuse now not to go to university and get a good job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is outright rude. The majority of these housewives you're referring to work right up until they have children. Why is it a bad thing if they decided they want to dedicate themselves to looking after their children and running a household? It has nothing to do with laziness or having a husband who can do the work for them. You're underestimating the lives of millions of women and calimg them lazy just because they don't work?
touch me
and rub me
Just to confirm, you are aware that "women" are not some gigantic hivemind right?

You have no idea.

Women are herd creatures. They are the ultimate hivemind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
into your hair
Original post by TheTechN1304
This is outright rude. The majority of these housewives you're referring to work right up until they have children. Why is it a bad thing if they decided they want to dedicate themselves to looking after their children and running a household? It has nothing to do with laziness or having a husband who can do the work for them. You're underestimating the lives of millions of women and calimg them lazy just because they don't work?

The day when your stay at home housewife divorce rapes you will be a sweet one for everyone here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hydeman
I didn't say anyone was. :tongue:
Keep up up :bee:, smh.

Queen-bee* :wink:
Women can do what they want, if you don't like it don't do it. It comes of no harm to you.
Original post by TheTechN1304

I'm not referring to women who work up until they have kids, I guess I should've made that clearer, it's more to do with women who are happy to stay at home either when the kids have grown up, or just in general regardless of children, and those who think that they deserve a husband who has to solely provide for them financially.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending