The Student Room Group

Aqa biology/further additional/ b3 unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mediaya
the easiest biology exam i have ever done!!!!!!
1) osmosis, active transport

the six marker was okay I put:
A was red blood cells, they have no nucleus and carry haemoglobin which combines with oxygen to make oxyheamogobin, they carry oxygen from the lung to the cells in the body and then oxyheamoglobin break into oxygen and heamoglobin for exchange

The first answer was diffusion, because the ions are not water - and the 6 mark question was about transport in PLANTS, there was a diagram with the xylem and phloem tissue, sorry :frown:
I pretty much spent a quarter of the exam trying to remember the word for the part of the vein that stops backflow.
I was so mad, I'd literally revised this topic and knew the word but it just spiralled away.
And...it turned out to be valve, lmao, I wrote ridges , RIDGES
No it was not, the first six marker was about transportation in plants, like the Xyleom and Phloem and the other was about the thermoregulatory system and hypothalamus and how the body responds (shivering, Sweating)
My first six marker was about parts of the blood.
What did you get for the question in the biology Unit 3 paper about advantages of artificial blood over blood transfusion
I put it can be done immediately without waiting
and that you do not have to match blood types so less chance of rejection
I think I flopped badly for the 4 mark question on the insulin method question
There are two papers for some reason, that's why there are two different six markers. There was one on the composition of the blood - the structure and functions of the cells, plasma and platelets of the blood and the other one was on mineral ions. The other six marker for the paper with the blood six marker was about the reaction to being too hot. The paper with the mineral ions one was about being too cold. I don't know why there were two papers, but there just was. Maybe higher and foundation tier?
(edited 7 years ago)
Second 6 marker was about how the body helps to decrease its temp if its overheated
Reply 67
[QUOTE="x_rizma_x;65638815"]
Original post by mediaya

I thought osmosis was only the movement of water not sodium ions🤔Idk maybe im wrong but i wrote diffusion and active transport for that first question

It was diffusion and active transport.
Reply 68
Original post by user2567
Posted from TSR Mobile
your answer to first the six marker is wrong it was about ions water and sugar no the blood

There were two six markers but yeah the one about ions,water & sugar came up first
No the one with the different parts of blood was additional further biology (apparently) and the plant one with xylem and phloem was B3 higher (the one that I did)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did the higher further additional science biology tier and I had the blood six marker.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by mediaya
A has gained in weight because there was a higher concentration of water(dilute) outside the bag so water entered the bag by osmosis.
B is the one that changes the less because the concentration of sugar outside the bag(4.2) is nearly the same as the concentration of sugar inside the bad(5) so only small amount of water will enter the bag by osmosis and the net movement will then stop.

the six marker was okay I put:
A was red blood cells, they have no nucleus and carry haemoglobin which combines with oxygen to make oxyheamogobin, they carry oxygen from the lung to the cells in the body and then oxyheamoglobin break into oxygen and heamoglobin for exchange
B was white blood cell, produce antibodies to kill pathogens, and antitoxin to neutralise the toxin produced by harmful microorganisms
C was platelets, they help the blood to clot at a wound to stop excessive bleeding and stop microorganism from entering.

last question on mycoprotein
the fungus, fusarium is grown in a fermenter which is supplied with glucose syrup for food and respiration+oxygen for aerobic repirarion +nitrogen for growth and the production of amino acids
air is filltered and sterilised so that unwanted microorganisms dot grow in the fermenter
the fusarium is then harvested,purified and dried so that it can be used in food.

the 2 differences between the composition of blood in the vein and artery are:
veins have deoxygenated blood whereas arteries have oxygenated blood
veins have more carbon dioxide than arteries(because it has just come from the cell and exchanged oxygen for CO2 and are now going to the heart to go to the lungs to get rid of it in the alveoli)

i cant remember the question numbers and other questions so if u remember a question, tell me :smile:

"easiest exam i've ever done"
* gets first question wrong*
Reply 72
How many marks was all the questions on osmosis? (Of the sugar solutions and sports drinks?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Hello guys, Ill Put down most of the Questions I remember and the answers i remember putting (Note: The Answers may be wrong as I didn't revise)
Question 1: Sodium moves outside of the cell: Diffusion--------------> I wrong Diffusion as it said Sodium which is an ion and only Molecules move with Osmosis (eg: Water)
Potassium moves into a cell: Active Transport
If you want to Any other Question Reminders Post and ill try to reply
Original post by Ads.m
"easiest exam i've ever done"
* gets first question wrong*

Hahaha yh, lol but i didnt know it was wrong till you told me, it seemed easy when i came out of the exam though (it still does, i wont fail coz of losing 1 mark)
Reply 75
Original post by ShiooN
Hello guys, Ill Put down most of the Questions I remember and the answers i remember putting (Note: The Answers may be wrong as I didn't revise)
Question 1: Sodium moves outside of the cell: Diffusion--------------> I wrong Diffusion as it said Sodium which is an ion and only Molecules move with Osmosis (eg: Water)
Potassium moves into a cell: Active Transport
If you want to Any other Question Reminders Post and ill try to reply

How many marks were the osmosis ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
There Was A blood Question Talking About Veins and Arteries , It Asked you about the difference in Composition between a Vein in the leg and Arteries.
I wrote: 1 out of 2 points , And I said that the arteries carry Oxygenated blood whereas veins carry de-oxygenated blood!
Reply 77
Can anyone make a foundation tier mark scheme please?
Reply 78
Original post by z1820
How many marks were the osmosis ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The first 2 complete the sentence bits were 2 marks then another 2 and another 3 for explaining, And another 3 for explaining your choice of experement.
I wrote B=because smallest difference in consntration although im not sure so can someone please share what they wrote?
Original post by ShiooN
There Was A blood Question Talking About Veins and Arteries , It Asked you about the difference in Composition between a Vein in the leg and Arteries.
I wrote: 1 out of 2 points , And I said that the arteries carry Oxygenated blood whereas veins carry de-oxygenated blood!

And the other (i put) was that veins have more carbon dioxide than arteries ( because they are going to the heart to go to the lungs to get oxygenated)

Quick Reply