The Student Room Group

Edexcel Biology (Unofficial) B2 Mark Scheme.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alp2000
I said the question one differently. I said bacterial cells have chromosomal DNA and plasmids and sometimes a flagellum. Do you think I wouldn't get the marks because I worded it differently?

You'd still get the marks :smile: In the mark schemes they include key words which you get marks for (eg. bacterial: no nucleus, chromosomal DNA)
Original post by TheMythicalBeast
The answer to the graph pH question about enzymes (it was with the yeast cell question). Here's how I worked it out:
Sucrose was higher, lactose lower (I think?) so I connected the dots and did some maths.
I divided the lactose result by the sucrose result for both pH 9 and pH 7 and got the same answer, so I timesed that answer by the sucrose result for pH 5 and got 16 with decimal places, rounded it up to 17 so the answer was 17.

why would you divide them both though? when surely they both have different properties meaning they denature and produce different levels of carbon dioxide at different Ph's. i got 42
Original post by samesea
Nope - I asked before the start of the exam and they told me to do the one I was entered for. A bunch of other people had been switched without being told, too. It's an absolute joke. Unless I cough up £50 to switch the next two exams I'm going to be stuck on a paper I should not have been entered for.

Additional Science is the one subject I really struggle in and they've gone and done this to me. I suppose the A in the CATs might boost my grade a little, but there's only so much that they can do.

That's really weird. Schools always get sent more exams than they need therefore if you talked to your teacher (or whoever is in charge) they could possibly get you on Foundation. That's at least what's happening in my school, that's what the teachers always tell us so you can even change your mind last minute.

What I would do is find a good teacher who might be able to do something about it and explain to them why you'd like to do Foundation.
Original post by chrlhyms
why would you divide them both though? when surely they both have different properties meaning they denature and produce different levels of carbon dioxide at different Ph's. i got 42

I divided it because I thought that maybe there is a scale for it so only a certain fraction of the result for sucrose will appear in lactose. I thought that if they have the same fraction of sucrose result produced in lactose result for both of the pH's, then I could do the same for pH 5.

For example, if sucrose produced 500 at pH 9, 700 at pH 7 and lactose got 250 at pH 9 and 350 at pH 7, the fraction produced would be a half so if the result for sucrose pH 5 was 100, for lactose it would be 50.
(edited 7 years ago)
I divided it because I thought that maybe there is a scale for it so only a certain fraction of the result for sucrose will appear in lactose. I thought that if they have the same fraction of sucrose result produced in lactose result for both of the pH's, then I could do the same for pH 5.

For example, if sucrose produced 500 at pH 9, 700 at pH 7 and sucrose got 250 at pH 9 and 350 at pH 7, the fraction produced would be a half so if the result for sucrose pH 5 was 100, for lactose it would be 50.

I see, i think the question wasn't a very good one because it could either decreased or increased as by pH 9 it could have denatured a lot meaning less CO2 production or pH 9 could be optimum pH meaning it could have been a higher percentage released.

I'm not sure, i mean i guess it said estimate because it could of increased or decreased
I missed the six marker on the back page!! I didn't even see it!! Anybody else? Praying for low grade boundaries
I see, i think the question wasn't a very good one because it could either decreased or increased as by pH 9 it could have denatured a lot meaning less CO2 production or pH 9 could be optimum pH meaning it could have been a higher percentage released.

I'm not sure, i mean i guess it said estimate because it could of increased or decreased

Yeah "estimate" threw me off, but I assumed that's why as well.
Yeah "estimate" threw me off, but I assumed that's why as well.

Well, the good thing is, is that its only worth 1 mark. What do you think the grade boundaries would be like? And also do you know how many marks the Watson and Crick question was?
Reply 148
Well, the good thing is, is that its only worth 1 mark. What do you think the grade boundaries would be like? And also do you know how many marks the Watson and Crick question was?

3 marks I think!
Original post by htkta
3 marks I think!

Ah thats annoying i thought it was 2, and i spoke about the wrong scientists' work
Reply 150
Original post by olivia1066
I missed the six marker on the back page!! I didn't even see it!! Anybody else? Praying for low grade boundaries

That 6 mark Q did have a weird placement. Don't worry, I was browsing through twitter and apparently a handful of people realised last minute and barely finished it and some people didn't notice it at all!
Reply 151
Ah thats annoying i thought it was 2, and i spoke about the wrong scientists' work

You'd probably get credit for recalling the names though!
@olivia1066 awh, so unlucky! I almost made that mistake myself. Just remember for future GCSE science exams though that there are always two six-markers per paper - so if you see one and not the second, you know you've missed one :P

@chrlhyms Watson and Crick was two marks, I think :smile:

I think grade boundaries will increase this year: I found the test more challenging than past papers because it tested application of biology far more than it did content knowledge but I don't think too many found the test exceptionally difficult, hence why I think grade boundaries will increase. I'd be tempted to say 52/53 for the A*.
Original post by htkta
You'd probably get credit for recalling the names though!

I thought that Watson and Crick used crystallised DNA and then x-ray beams but its Wilkins and Franklin :frown: but I didn't say the names
Reply 154
Original post by Southwestern
@olivia1066 awh, so unlucky! I almost made that mistake myself. Just remember for future GCSE science exams though that there are always two six-markers per paper - so if you see one and not the second, you know you've missed one :P

I think grade boundaries will increase this year: I found the test more challenging than past papers because it tested application of biology far more than it did content knowledge but I don't think too many found the test exceptionally difficult, hence why I think grade boundaries will increase. I'd be tempted to say 52/53 for the A*.

Any thoughts about A?
Reply 155
I thought that Watson and Crick used crystallised DNA and then x-ray beams but its Wilkins and Franklin :frown: but I didn't say the names

It's only 2 or 3 marks, retrospectively, that's not too bad :wink:
Original post by htkta
Any thought about A?

Maybe 45/46ish? Then 37/38 for a B and 30/31 for a C.

All guesses, though.
Original post by ca.hardy
Its 42 because the table showed that as the pH decreased by 2, the (whatever it was) increased by 7 (I think it was 7). So it looked like this:

pH: Sugar: (Whatever it was)
9. fructose. 28
7. fructose. 35
5. fructose 42. ----> this is the answer you should have got - the question was testing our ability to notice trends.

But then again, in the first sugar it decreased at pH 5 and the same enzyme was used for both so it would have decreased, too.

I hope its only 2! and I think thats a good shout, 50-53 i was suggesting as if you knew the practicals and you knew how to apply your knowledge to the actual body such as peristalsis etc then i think you could have done well, where as many people probably find that quite difficult and dont revise the practicals
Reply 159
Maybe 45/46ish? Then 37/38 for a B and 30/31 for a C.

All guesses, though.

That's not too bad. We'll see in August I guess!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending