The Student Room Group

AQA 10th JUNE AS NEW SPEC

Can we make a mark scheme? everyone post their answers for the chemistry exam

Scroll to see replies

I'd happily contribute if someone put up the paper? I thought it was brilliant to be honest
Reply 2
for the question on exidation reaction, was there a carboxylic acid and also a ketone??
Original post by QS2Nabz
for the question on exidation reaction, was there a carboxylic acid and also a ketone??

That's what I assumed
Reply 4
Would it not have been an aldehyde and a carboxylic acid since you get a carboxylic acid with excess potassium dichromate from a primary alcohol and an aldehyde from using less potassium dichromate and distilling as you go?
Reply 5
Q1 - 10.5
Q2 - -308 and 0.0118
6 marker - the alcohol, then aldehyde, then butane
last multiple choice question - D?
anyone get any similar answers ??
Reply 6
Original post by Ophelia.
Would it not have been an aldehyde and a carboxylic acid since you get a carboxylic acid with excess potassium dichromate from a primary alcohol and an aldehyde from using less potassium dichromate and distilling as you go?

but the second oh was attached to a secondary, so it must be a ketone ?? not sure, thats what i thought
and for the equations , was there 3 {o} and 2h20??
Reply 7
Original post by QS2Nabz
but the second oh was attached to a secondary, so it must be a ketone ?? not sure, thats what i thought
and for the equations , was there 3 {o} and 2h20??

You're probably right, I was a little confused on that at first. I don't think I got the equation right either.What did you get for the thermometer and bumping crystals question?
Reply 8
Original post by QS2Nabz
Q1 - 10.5
Q2 - -308 and 0.0118

0.0118?

Joules?!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
I thought it was an aldehyde too but like it was primary and a secondary alcohol which I had never seen before 😁 It could have been a ketone and was the percentage uncertainty 1.3%?
For the reflux question it had an alcohol that had two "OH" groups. IMO if you were to continuously oxidise that you could only oxidise it 3 times, once for the "OH" in the middle turning it into "O" with a double bond, and twice on the "OH" group at the end turning it into an "O" double bond and and "OH".

I reckon this means you would undergo the first stage of oxidation twice (turning "OH" into an "O" double bond). Therefore producing 2 H2Os)

CH2(OH)CH(OH)CH3 + 3[O] ----> CO(OH)COCH3 + 2H2O

What do you guys think?
Original post by QS2Nabz
Q1 - 10.5
Q2 - -308 and 0.0118

I got D for the last one! Because it would increase pressure by 11.25X
Original post by Gswp
0.0118?

Joules?!

I got 11800 kj :redface: oops
Original post by Anna1909
I thought it was an aldehyde too but like it was primary and a secondary alcohol which I had never seen before 😁 It could have been a ketone and was the percentage uncertainty 1.3%?

Temperature change was 38 degrees C. Uncertainty was 0.5 degrees C, which they nicely told us instead of trying to trick us by saying 0.25 and expecting us to multiply it by 2 because there was 2 measurements taken.

This means:

0.5/38 x 100 = 1.32% :smile:
Original post by Sam Webb
Temperature change was 38 degrees C. Uncertainty was 0.5 degrees C, which they nicely told us instead of trying to trick us by saying 0.25 and expecting us to multiply it by 2 because there was 2 measurements taken.

This means:

0.5/38 x 100 = 1.32% :smile:

Do you reckon it would get the mark or not? I mean it was only one so it doesn't really matter I guess 😂 But thank you ☺️
Original post by Anna1909
Do you reckon it would get the mark or not? I mean it was only one so it doesn't really matter I guess 😂 But thank you ☺️

You'd probs get the mark :smile:
For the multiple choice question asking to calculate "C tripled bonded to O" bond enthalpy.

CH4 + H20 ----- > CO + 3H2 Enthalpy change +206kJ/mol

Each bond enthalpy:
[C-H] [H-O] [H-H] [CO]

There are 4 C-H bonds, 2 H-O bonds, and 3 H-H bonds. Only 1 CO bond. So the equation would be:

206 + (4x413) + (2x463) - (3x436) = 1476 kJ/mol

So the answer for this question was 1426 (C I think)
I got 11800kj as well!
Reply 19
For the mechanism question (7 marker) it said to name and 'outline' the mechanism. Were we meant to draw it or describe it? They gave us lines after all and very little space to draw it.

Quick Reply

Latest