The Student Room Group

OCR Computer Science 08/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ruth_Hannah
I thought it was more like (year = 2016) AND (category = "comedy":wink:

You are right. (Their answer may be acceptable, but that's up to the people who male the mark scheme.)
Original post by Ruth_Hannah
I thought it was more like (year = 2016) AND (category = "comedy":wink:

You are right. (Their answer may be acceptable, but that's up to the people who male the mark scheme.)
Original post by Blueee29
out of sheer curiosity, are any of you doing computer science or something as an A-Level?

Definitely me
Original post by TrumpIsFancy
yeah but it should remain close though right? like it went down by 4 marks in 2015. however, in 2011, the grade boundaries were like 72/80 which is significantly different. something like that shouldn't happen right?

I suspect the grade boundaries will be about 85% for an A* (it was definitely harder from the previous years, but much easier than what people were saying about the 2015 June paper).
yeah but it should remain close though right? like it went down by 4 marks in 2015. however, in 2011, the grade boundaries were like 72/80 which is significantly different. something like that shouldn't happen right?

I suspect the grade boundaries will be about 85% for an A* (it was definitely harder from the previous years, but much easier than what people were saying about the 2015 June paper).
Original post by CopyThat
How did you all find the exam??

Also could we throw together a load of random different answers to create a mark scheme? Would be really helpful thanks ! :smile:
?

UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME:

(Below are a set of questions contributed by you and myself with what we can remember, any contributions are greatly appreciated)

1) What is mean't by the term Character set? (1 mark)
A set of characters which the computer is able to recognize and represent on the system.

Why is Unicode better than ASCII? (3 marks)
ASCII can only represent 255/256 characters as it is 8 bit whereas Unicode is 16 bit so can hold a lot more

Lauren is making a website for her students "bla bla bla" (6 marks)
Mention of Acceptable use policy, Data protection for children, Copyright, Validation, Screening reports, Abuse reports

Why is a Dual-Core processor better than a Single-core processor? (2/3 marks)
Dual core has twice as many cores therefore can process more instructions faster and they can work simultaneously

How else can he upgrade the performance of his computer? (6 marks)
CPU with more cores to process instructions faster. Better HDD, More virtual memory, More cache memory, better GFX

Give two differences between ROM and RAM. (4 marks)
Difference 1) RAM is volatile and ROM is non-volatile
Difference 2) Ram is re-writable + ROM is pre-written (There will be more answers for this)

Difference between LAN and WAN (2 marks)
LAN covers a local area and WAN covers a wide geographical area.

Something to do with Peer to peer and Client server in a supermarket
Client server is more secure, Client server doesn't slow down when multiple people are using it, Client server has a permanent and reliable backup system

Write a query that selects a film genre of comedy released in 2015 (1 mark)
(Category=Comedy) AND (Year=2015)

Give one example of a record in the database (1 mark)
Age , Name, surname.

How does upgrading RAM increase the performance of the computer (2 marks)
Increasing RAM increases the amount of programs that can be run on the computer

Convert 191 (I think) into binary (1 mark)

Complier vs Interpreter (4 marks)
Complier
Translates one line of code at a time…
and executes it
stops when it finds an error
can be resumed
Interpreter:
Translates the whole of the code into machine code straight away

Give two other tools used in an IDE (2 marks)
Translator, Debugger, Libraries

Why is "somthing" included in the table? (2 marks)
Used as a foreign key to link the two tables together avoiding data redundancy

(If you have any order of questions or more answers you'd love to contribute along with the marks they were worth it's all appreciated :smile:

For the IDE, I said error diagnostics and run-time environment. Is that fine?
Original post by emperorCode

but that's like 10 marks more than 2015 and 7 marks more than 2014. was it that easy?
but that's like 10 marks more than 2015 and 7 marks more than 2014. was it that easy?

For me, it was the same difficulty for all of them... IDK - it's so subjective.
Most years the grade boundary for an A* is 90% and it has been 89% at one point.
The 2015 boundaries are anomalous (70% for an A*).

Oh rly? According to 2014 grade boundaries, you needed 61/80 (76%) on the test for an A*. That's a far cry from 89%...
Original post by zeldor711
Oh rly? According to 2014 grade boundaries, you needed 61/80 (76%) on the test for an A*. That's a far cry from 89%...

OCR A* GRADE BOUNDARIES FOR COMPUTING (RAW MARK, /80)2015 (June): 562014 (June): 612013 (June): 712013 (January): 682012 (June): 682012 (January): 672011 (June): 72
They are always between 72 (90%) and 68 (85%). There are two years (last year, and the year before that have anything less than that. I made a mistake: the average is closer to 87% than 90% (when you remove the anomalous ones),

OCR A* GRADE BOUNDARIES FOR COMPUTING (RAW MARK, /80)
2015 (June): 56 | 2014 (June): 61 | 2013 (June): 71 | 2013 (January): 68 | 2012 (June): 68 | 2012 (January): 67 | 2011 (June): 72

They are always between 72 (90%) and 68 (85%). There are two years (last year, and the year before that have anything less than that. I made a mistake: the average is closer to 87% than 90% (when you remove the anomalous ones: 2015, 2016).

OCR A* GRADE BOUNDARIES FOR COMPUTING (RAW MARK, /80)
2015 (June): 56 | 2014 (June): 61 | 2013 (June): 71 | 2013 (January): 68 | 2012 (June): 68 | 2012 (January): 67 | 2011 (June): 72

They are always between 72 (90%) and 68 (85%). There are two years (last year, and the year before that have anything less than that. I made a mistake: the average is closer to 87% than 90% (when you remove the anomalous ones: 2015, 2016).
OCR A* GRADE BOUNDARIES FOR COMPUTING (RAW MARK, /80)2015 (June): 562014 (June): 612013 (June): 712013 (January): 682012 (June): 682012 (January): 672011 (June): 72
They are always between 72 (90%) and 68 (85%). There are two years (last year, and the year before that have anything less than that. I made a mistake: the average is closer to 87% than 90% (when you remove the anomalous ones),

I apologise for my ignorance lol. I was just using the most recent grade boundaries (and what I think have a good chance of being accurate - I didn't find this exam to be very different in difficulty than either of them lol). Anyway, the overall boundaries depend on how we all did, and we don't find out until results day so no point talking about this anymore xD)
I apologise for my ignorance lol. I was just using the most recent grade boundaries (and what I think have a good chance of being accurate - I didn't find this exam to be very different in difficulty than either of them lol). Anyway, the overall boundaries depend on how we all did, and we don't find out until results day so no point talking about this anymore xD)

Eh... very true... we should stop speculating and revise for the remaining exams.
Don't worry about it, man :u:...
I know that feeling... hopefully they keep the trend they're going with (72% or so).
I didn't find the exam that hard either, and nearly all of the questions had come up before...
How did you all find the exam??

Also could we throw together a load of random different answers to create a mark scheme? Would be really helpful thanks ! :smile:
?

UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME:

(Below are a set of questions contributed by you and myself with what we can remember, any contributions are greatly appreciated)

1) What is mean't by the term Character set? (1 mark)
A set of characters which the computer is able to recognize and represent on the system.

Why is Unicode better than ASCII? (3 marks)
ASCII can only represent 255/256 characters as it is 8 bit whereas Unicode is 16 bit so can hold a lot more

Lauren is making a website for her students "bla bla bla" (6 marks)
Mention of Acceptable use policy, Data protection for children, Copyright, Validation, Screening reports, Abuse reports

Why is a Dual-Core processor better than a Single-core processor? (2/3 marks)
Dual core has twice as many cores therefore can process more instructions faster and they can work simultaneously

How else can he upgrade the performance of his computer? (6 marks)
CPU with more cores to process instructions faster. Better HDD, More virtual memory, More cache memory, better GFX

Give two differences between ROM and RAM. (4 marks)
Difference 1) RAM is volatile and ROM is non-volatile
Difference 2) Ram is re-writable + ROM is pre-written (There will be more answers for this)

Difference between LAN and WAN (2 marks)
LAN covers a local area and WAN covers a wide geographical area.

Something to do with Peer to peer and Client server in a supermarket
Client server is more secure, Client server doesn't slow down when multiple people are using it, Client server has a permanent and reliable backup system

Write a query that selects a film genre of comedy released in 2015 (1 mark)
(Category=Comedy) AND (Year=2015)

Give one example of a record in the database (1 mark)
Age , Name, surname.

How does upgrading RAM increase the performance of the computer (2 marks)
Increasing RAM increases the amount of programs that can be run on the computer

Convert 191 (I think) into binary (1 mark)

Complier vs Interpreter (4 marks)
Complier
and executes it
can be resumed
Interpreter:
Translates the whole of the code into machine code straight away

Give two other tools used in an IDE (2 marks)
Translator, Debugger, Libraries

Why is "somthing" included in the table? (2 marks)
Used as a foreign key to link the two tables together avoiding data redundancy

(If you have any order of questions or more answers you'd love to contribute along with the marks they were worth it's all appreciated :smile:

Thank you so much for starting a mark scheme! Btw i think that there is one mistake, a compiler translates the whole source code at one go, not the other way around
Eh... very true... we should stop speculating and revise for the remaining exams.
Don't worry about it, man :u:...
I know that feeling... hopefully they keep the trend they're going with (72% or so).
I didn't find the exam that hard either, and nearly all of the questions had come up before...

I think the change in the boundary was due to the update in the specification after the June 2013 exams.
"Complier
and executes it
can be resumed
Interpreter:
Translates the whole of the code into machine code straight away"

Pretty sure its the other way around. Interpreter converts source code to machine code line by line and is stopped when there is an error.
For a compiler to work, the whole program has to be bug free. Think of visual basic.
Reply 177
Original post by YasminSR
Thank you so much for starting a mark scheme! Btw i think that there is one mistake, a compiler translates the whole source code at one go, not the other way around

Thankyou for telling me, Will change right away :smile:
Thankyou for telling me, Will change right away :smile:

Glad i could be of any help :smile:
What did everyone put for the question about the Book Algorithm? When line 06 came up with an error and you had to correct it. After the exam, I was talking to my teacher about it and he was truly clueless. How did everyone manage with it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending