The Student Room Group

AQA Chemistry Unit 2 (resit) CHEM2 10th June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emma_1111
I put disadvantages as impure product and slow process is that right?

Ya I put the same
Original post by Nayzar
I was relating it to sodiums reaction with cold water bc i know that produces hydrogen which then burns with a yellow flame from the heat

I think sodium burns yellow but the rest of that period burns white apart from sulphur so it had to be white?
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Oh fk thought it was elimination damn ittttt!!!
Also thought the didn't we have to name the alcohols?

Yeah we had to name the alcohols. So it was butan-2-ol and butan-1-ol

I almost made the mistake of naming the aldehyde and ketone too!
Original post by JustOneLastTime
for the reaction with hcl and hclo formed from chlorine and water did i need to use double arrows to show that the reaction was reversible?

and also in regard to the why one would easily be distilled and the other wouldn't it was an aldehyde and a carboxyllic acid i think i mentioned vanderwaals instead of dipole dipole. so vanderwaals between one and hydrogen bonding between the other ....does anyone think my answer would be accepted

lastly for the last question disadvantages of fermentation i wrote co2 is produced, i forgot that this was in fact carbon neutral will i get 0 marks here?

advantages -- glucose is highly abundant - ethene must be manufactured first
-- cant remember

disadvantages - low yield
---- co2 produced greenhouse gas

Disadvantages would be: A slower reaction, a lower yield and a less pure yield so further processing needed

Advantages would be: Cheaper (as cheaper equipment, reactants and lower energy requirements), renewable and carbon neutral

Aldehydes would have dipole-dipole, not vdW, so you wouldn't get a mark for saying that, but you would probably get one for saying that there is hydrogen bonding between carboxylic acids so stronger intermolecular forces
i thought it didnt ask for names as well? i wrote h3po4 and 300 degrees celsius is this wrong
Original post by lahigueraxxx
Yeah we had to name the alcohols. So it was butan-2-ol and butan-1-ol

I almost made the mistake of naming the aldehyde and ketone too!

Oh thanks god.
Original post by ManOfJustTin
I think sodium burns yellow but the rest of that period burns white apart from sulphur so it had to be white?

No i meant the hydrogen burns (yellow) from the heat. Oh well anyway if im wrong im wrong thats my destiny
Original post by Sam Webb
But aldehydes have an O double bonded to a C, that O surely has two lone pairs it can use to hydrogen bond with?

That is correct, however the hydrogen on the aldehyde is bonded to carbon, which isn't electronegative - which means it will not have a dipole. Hydrogen bonding occurs between the very polar N-H, F-H, H-O bonds, everything else is just dipole-dipole.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JoelTheJaffaCake
Disadvantages would be: A slower reaction, a lower yield and a less pure yield so further processing needed

Advantages would be: Cheaper (as cheaper equipment, reactants and lower energy requirements), renewable and carbon neutral

Aldehydes would have dipole-dipole, not vdW, so you wouldn't get a mark for saying that, but you would probably get one for saying that there is hydrogen bonding between carboxylic acids so stronger intermolecular forces

thanks, I think i wrote cheaper and so i probably got two marks combined, my mind went blank on this question as i had very litlle time left, really annoying that i knew the correct answers but couldn't think at the time.
For the two observations I put effervescence and white solid ppt
FFS messed up and lost about 20 silly marks.
Original post by Nayzar
No i meant the hydrogen burns (yellow) from the heat. Oh well anyway if im wrong im wrong thats my destiny

Oh my bad :tongue:
Still think it's a white flame but who knows.
Original post by lucywilliams1234
i thought it didnt ask for names as well? i wrote h3po4 and 300 degrees celsius is this wrong

What do you mean? it asked for the conditions, that's what I wrote too.

yeah we got it wrong, it was white flame and white ppt :frown:
We probs got 1 mark for white ppt
Original post by WhoDaresWins
yeah we got it wrong, it was white flame and white ppt :frown:
We probs got 1 mark for white ppt

I also put that.. I went blank...
A similar question was in unit 5 last year or the year before and it said ignore effervescence...i know it's unit 5 but it's the same concept...so we probably got 1 mark
What was the Termination step for the first Free Radical Substitution? You had to make something specific (I think it was C2H2Cl4??)
Original post by mgill17
I also put that.. I went blank...
A similar question was in unit 5 last year or the year before and it said ignore effervescence...i know it's unit 5 but it's the same concept...so we probably got 1 mark

1 mark for the white ppt, but can't believe this, found it so nice and then these silly mistakes just accumulated!
Grade boundaries will be sky high too.
Reply 177

I put white solid but i put bright white flame for some reason
I found that paper pretty disgusting tbh, I think I lost around 20-25 marks, is that around a B?
Reply 179
For the magnesium steam observations, I put effervescence and white solid ppt but I don't think I get any marks :frown: bc it's not in liquid

Quick Reply

Latest