The Student Room Group

IGCSE AQA Biology Paper 2

How did you find it?

I found it quite challenging..

Those mice questions :l

What did you write for the last question about carbon dioxide?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hmm I don't recall having any questions about mice. Or maybe that's just me, hahah.

Did you do the double award or triple science?
Reply 2
Original post by kputera
Hmm I don't recall having any questions about mice. Or maybe that's just me, hahah.

Did you do the double award or triple science?

Triple
Mice? Are you doing GCSE or IGCSE?
Reply 4
Original post by maryammm
Triple

Was the paper code 8401/2?
Reply 5
Original post by afghan-superman
Mice? Are you doing GCSE or IGCSE?

I'm doing IGCSE (8401)
has anyone got a mark scheme for this paper?( aqa igsce biology june 10th paper 2)
Reply 7
Yes, 8401. It was about mice having E.coli and diarrhoea and problems with digestion I think.
i put for the carbon dioxide question about how the carbon dioxide increased and that because it is a limiting factor you will need more of the other factors to even out the levels, increasing cost etc so the plants wont have a fast enough rate of photosynthesis causing a lack of food so will die. This will decrease food production. I have absolutely no clue if thats right or not haha I was supposed to take normal gcses but had to change last minute ( literally 1 week before exams)
Reply 9
AQA Level ½ certificate Biology Paper 2
Friday 10th June 2016 1 Hour 30 minutes
90 marks maximum
These are some of the questions I remember answering (the questions are not in the correct order of the actual exam paper for the but for simplicity I’ve labelled them as 1,2,3 etc.), input any questions you remember so we can create an Unofficial Mark-scheme :smile:

1) Fill in the gap for anaerobic respiration in plants: Glucose -> Ethanol [1 mark]+ Carbon Dioxide
1bi) How does the yeast make the bread dough rise? The yeast goes through the process of anaerobicfermentation from the glucose. Carbon dioxide is a waste product which is trapped inside the bread causing it to rise.[2 marks]
1bii) Why do you have to let the dough rise at a temperature of 25-30 degrees before putting it in the oven at 220 degrees?If you put it in the oven straight away the high temperatures may kill the yeastand prevent it from rising but leaving it in warm conditions before gives the yeast time to expand the dough.[2 marks]
1biii) What is the enzyme the breaks down protein? Amylase (circle answer) [1 mark]
1c) Why do the chains of starch need to be broken down into fructose and glucose? [2 marks]
2) Tapeworm connect the boxes:
hooks and suckers-----To cling to the small intestine of the host
Thick outer cuticle----- To protect from digestive enzymes
Flat body----- large surface area [3 marks]
2i) Why do tapeworms lay millions of embryos? Many of these eggs will never find a new host.The ones that do will infect it and continue their life cycle. [2 marks]
3) What type of tissue is the heart made of?Muscular tissue[1 mark]
3i) Pacemaker is located at A(aboveright atrium)[1 mark]
3ii) Why does the atria fully contract before the ventricles? How does the figure show this.
Then there was all of the different stopwatch times of the heartbeat/contractions
3iii)Why does the heart contract from the base? Because the blood pumps out of the ventricle and moves out at the top of the heart so it is more effective.
4) Design an investigation for how the ph concentration affects how quickly/much carbon dioxide yeast produces. Include how to obtain valid results.
[6 marks]
5) What is the purpose of the thick mucus in the lining of the intestine? Protects the lining of the stomach from damage by digestive enzymes.
5i) What is the purpose of the mitochondrian? Break downs and takes down nutrients creating energy.[2 marks]
5ib) Similar to the previous question [2 marks]
5ii) How can damage to the cells cause diarrhea?[2 marks]
5ii) Large sucrose molecules found in a persons faeces can cause diarrhea? Refer to absorption and digestion and information given in figure 8(?) in your answer? [3 marks]

6)circle the anomalous result[1 mark]
6i)Calculate the mass of the horse to 2 significant figures using the formula given [2 marks]
6ii) Fill in boxes C and D from figure 5 about a straight line connecting horses mass and girth.
6iii) Draw a line of best fit
6iiii) A horsekeeper says that the estimating of horses mass using their girth is a good method for working out the horses mass? I put yes as points A,B,D,E all were near enough on the line from the actual measurements in figure 4.
7) What does recessive allele mean?
7i) What evidence from the diagram shows that CEP is caused by a recessive allele?
7ii) What does homozygous mean?
Draw a genetic diagram to show that at least one of people 7 and 8's children will not have CEP. 7ii) What is the probability that one of he children will be positive of CEP?
7iii) Person 11 hasn't got CEP and to show this they have to be DNA tests.... [3 marks]
Person 12 wants to have a bone marrow transplant from sibling(11) who has normal health to get rid of CEP , explain how this would get rid of her CEP and alter the genes? [2 marks]
7iiii) Why does the transplant have to be from a relative for it to be successful and not from an unrelated donor?[3 marks]
8) Give two reasons why the farmer chose to heat the greenhouse only to example: 43 degrees and not 47 degrees when the arbitary units increase still:
- I put because the higher temperature would mean the crops need to be watered more regularly.
- Because it would use more energy to heat the greenhouse. [2 marks]
8i) Some question about the graph of CO2 at 0.20% and at 0.03%
8ii) Burning fossil fuels limits the success of plant crops as more carbon dioxide is released. Explain why? [5 marks]
(edited 7 years ago)
what did people write for the question about diarrhoea?
tough paper, again!
and for the one about how to graph shows that the decrease in photosynthesis wasn't due to enzymes denaturing?
Original post by whynot?999
what did people write for the question about diarrhoea?

I said water cannot be reabsorbed efficiently into blood stream so more is excreted in faeces. Literally *****y questions :/
Original post by JamieTheb
tough paper, again!

yeah, i found it even harder than paper 1
and for the one about how to graph shows that the decrease in photosynthesis wasn't due to enzymes denaturing?

I guessed and spoke about stomata closing
I guessed and spoke about stomata closing

oh i started talking about transpiration and a lack of water - opps
oh i started talking about transpiration and a lack of water - opps

Eh similar points raised, I found it a tough paper and Biology is usually my strongest. Abu
Eh similar points raised, I found it a tough paper and Biology is usually my strongest. Abu

hopefully low boundaries
anyone remember other questions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending