The Student Room Group

Will there be a general election before Christmas?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Retired_Messiah
What.

exactly.
Original post by Drewski
He was both for 6 months, hence the Minister without Portfolio - he attends cabinet meetings but isn't directly responsible for anything. I did half expect that to change at the last reshuffle, but he's got his eyes on something else...

I thought he'd become an MP, but just assumed I was incorrect. Nice to know I was right.
Original post by Underscore__
Why would it be undemocratic? The Conservative Party won the election, not David Cameron.

I find it hard to imagine out winning would make DC step down

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would be undemocratic. Many people voted for David Cameron in preference to Ed Miliband, even if they did not consider themselves Tory supporters.
Original post by medapplicant2016
It would be undemocratic. Many people voted for David Cameron in preference to Ed Miliband, even if they did not consider themselves Tory supporters.

But that's their fault. We don't have a presidential system, you vote for your MP not the PM

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry but you're wrong.

In my eyes, a PM who resigns because they cannot take the public's opinion is more undemocratic than someone who stays on and accepts the public's (and his own) opinion.

Referendums are also not votes of confidence, this has nothing to do with Cameron whatsoever. Yeah there will be some divisions within the party - but the whole idea of a referendum is to settle a debate. I also doubt many will resign and branch off with UKIP - seeing as quite a few Tories see UKIP as toxic. Cameron's majority will not be lost, thus a VONC will fail.
Original post by Elivercury
What this man said.

Incidentally, even if he stood down, it would not mean a general election, he could just hand over the reigns to Boris (heaven forbid).

If Camrron resigns immediately then Osbourne becomes PM. There's no way in hell Cameron would willingly hand over to Boris, he's probably sacking him if Remain wins.
Reply 26
Original post by jamestg
I'm sorry but you're wrong.

In my eyes, a PM who resigns because they cannot take the public's opinion is more undemocratic than someone who stays on and accepts the public's (and his own) opinion.

Referendums are also not votes of confidence, this has nothing to do with Cameron whatsoever. Yeah there will be some divisions within the party - but the whole idea of a referendum is to settle a debate. I also doubt many will resign and branch off with UKIP - seeing as quite a few Tories see UKIP as toxic. Cameron's majority will not be lost, thus a VONC will fail.

I totally agree. I'm glad someone has pointed this out. A lot of people I know are under the impression that this referendum is a vote of confidence. I highly doubt that there will be another election this year. I just don't see it happening.
Original post by Rakas21
If Camrron resigns immediately then Osbourne becomes PM. There's no way in hell Cameron would willingly hand over to Boris, he's probably sacking him if Remain wins.

I actually disagree - I think if circumstances forced Cameron to resign, appointing his obvious favoured successor on a temporary basis would be too clearly partisan and would further incense the Eurosceptic/Boris-supporting wing, damaging party unity, and he will not want that to be his legacy. I expect he'd go with someone moderate and respected within the party who is pretty much unknown to the wider public as an interim - if I had to pick a single option it'd be Robert Halfron.
Reply 28
There only seems to be one bookie offering odds on a 2016 election and they are offering 12-1.

Hence my answer is no.

If anyone disagrees then the bookie is Skybet which means you'll be lucky to get more than £20 on.
Original post by Saoirse:3
I actually disagree - I think if circumstances forced Cameron to resign, appointing his obvious favoured successor on a temporary basis would be too clearly partisan and would further incense the Eurosceptic/Boris-supporting wing, damaging party unity, and he will not want that to be his legacy. I expect he'd go with someone moderate and respected within the party who is pretty much unknown to the wider public as an interim - if I had to pick a single option it'd be Robert Halfron.

Osbourne is first secretary of state which in effect makes him deputy prime minister. Cameron can't really just pick somebody unless he takes that title away from Osbourne since that makes Osbourne the next most senior person should Cameron resign.

At any rate the skeptics would have their chance in the ensuing leadership contest so i don't think it would be as big a problem as you suggest. Also its probably worth noting that while Boris is popular among the members he does not have that much support among MP's.
(edited 7 years ago)
It would be undemocratic.

Eden succeeded Churchill without a general election
Macmillan succeeded Eden without a general election
Callaghan succeeded Wilson without a general election
Major succeeded Thatcher without a general election
Brown succeeded Blair without a general election

That is five new PMs without general elections in the current reign.
I think we'll end up leaving the EU, which will mean that David Cameron is kicked out sooner or later. The next Conservative leader should call a general election ASAP then, otherwise they're being completely hypocritical, as there were many, many calls from the Conservatives for Gordon Brown to hold a general election in 2007.

The unfortunate part is that I'm certain Labour would lose a general election held this year or next year - and the Conservatives would get quite a large majority, with Labour in a poor state, the Lib Dems still being useless (Tim Farron has done practically nothing to improve his party's image over the last year), and UKIP having less to be angry about after Brexit. The only interesting thing to see is whether Corbyn remains leader after a General Election loss - and I wouldn't be surprised if he did, which would probably lead Labour to further electoral doom in 2021/22.
Original post by lascelles101
yes I believe so too. it would be undemocratic to not have an election

Did you feel the same when Gordon Brown became PM?
Please not a General Election, unless Corbyn also steps down.
Oh I'd love a general election because I'm only just 18 and it would be the first time I get to vote in one!
Reply 35
In a general election you should vote for the party. Yes the Prime Minister is the face of the party but you are not just voting for the Prime Minister, you are voting for the party and their policies. If you voted just for the Prime Minister and not the party then that is your own fault and there will not and should not be a general election. It would be undemocratic to have an election because the rules of our democracy are that each government have 5 years to make a change and then the next election happens. You can't change the rules because of a change in the leadership when the party is still standing.
Original post by CatusStarbright
If the Leave campaign win, yes Cameron will either resign or be forced out. There would then be an election within the Conservative party to find a new leader, who would then be Prime Minister. My father believes that if that were the case, the public should push for a general election, but who knows what will happen?

no point as conservatives would get in AGAIN.
Reply 37
I think there will be a general election if we leave, David Cameron will be faced with a very aggressive party that's divided and his leadership will be challenged by Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson will be challenged within his own party and the opposition parties which means a vote of no confidence will probably be pushed. It will lead to a crisis. In the 80's we saw a huge lead of the Conservative party partially due to the divisions and weakness of Labour, in the 90's Labour pulled itself together while the conservatives often didn't know which side of the dispatch box to stand behind, it will be the first time we're faced with a divided and broken Conservative and Labour Party.
Reply 38
Original post by Numero Uno
no point as conservatives would get in AGAIN.

If we did leave and there was an election I think we'd get a coalition again
Original post by zayn008
If we did leave and there was an election I think we'd get a coalition again

yeh perhaps but with corbyn is even less likely than miliband

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending