The Student Room Group

Are my options good?

Im wanting to do Maths, German, Business Studies and English Literature. Are these options good?

Scroll to see replies

Depends on what you want to do.
They're varied to say the least. What is your reason for doing each one?
Reply 3
Original post by A-LJLB
Depends on what you want to do.

Something with maths/finance :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by GoingForIt
They're varied to say the least. What is your reason for doing each one?

Maths- Really enjoy maths and i find it interesting
German- love the language and can speak 3 languages so i want to expand my languages
English Lit- Love reading and analysing books
Business Studies- enjoyed at GCSE and i find it interesting learning about a business :biggrin:
Original post by sophiand

If that's the case then if possible I'd definitely advise swapping out business for economics
Reply 6
Original post by A-LJLB
If that's the case then if possible I'd definitely advise swapping out business for economics

i wanted to do economics but it didnt fit with the timetable is it a big issue if i do business not economics? :frown:
i wanted to do economics but it didnt fit with the timetable is it a big issue if i do business not economics? :frown:

Could you swap one of the other subjects for economics? If you're wanting to do something related to maths and finance then subjects that have a stronger maths basis will be favoured, and economics is one of them
Reply 8
Original post by A-LJLB
Could you swap one of the other subjects for economics? If you're wanting to do something related to maths and finance then subjects that have a stronger maths basis will be favoured, and economics is one of them

is there any point in doing economics and business? :/
is there any point in doing economics and business? :/

Honestly, I'm no expert but not really. Economics is favoured more highly than business. If you are certain of going into finance/maths, it would be a good shout. However at the end of the day, choose the subjects you think you'll enjoy :smile:
Seems great TBH You should think about doing a science instead of a language IMO.
Maths- Really enjoy maths and i find it interesting
German- love the language and can speak 3 languages so i want to expand my languages
English Lit- Love reading and analysing books
Business Studies- enjoyed at GCSE and i find it interesting learning about a business :biggrin:

Well, I saw that you said you wanted to do something math/finance based? I would strongly recommend swaping business studies for economics. Economics is much more respected and also it ties in with maths more! :biggrin: By the sounds of it you would find economics more interesting.
Regarding your other choices they sound pretty good. With the language, the fact you know so many will really benefit you with finance. Regarding English Lit, just make sure it is that one you want to do and not language? Check course specs and stuff because both are good but I just have a feeling with your path choice maybe you should take a look at English Language. :smile:
Well, I saw that you said you wanted to do something math/finance based? I would strongly recommend swaping business studies for economics. Economics is much more respected and also it ties in with maths more! :biggrin: By the sounds of it you would find economics more interesting.
Regarding your other choices they sound pretty good. With the language, the fact you know so many will really benefit you with finance. Regarding English Lit, just make sure it is that one you want to do and not language? Check course specs and stuff because both are good but I just have a feeling with your path choice maybe you should take a look at English Language. :smile:

I'd disagree with the last bit, Lit is far more respected than Lang.
Original post by A-LJLB

how much better is economics than business studies and what is the difference to be exact\?
Original post by theBranicAc
how much better is economics than business studies and what is the difference to be exact\?

Economics is simply more respected. As for differences, compare the specifications and you'll see they're pretty different qualifications
Original post by A-LJLB
I'd disagree with the last bit, Lit is far more respected than Lang.

If you look I actually didn't say it was less respected. :smile: It is not "far more respected" though, it very much depends on what you want to do. I simply feel it would tie in more with was the OP wants to do. Personally I would go for English Combined but so few colleges seem to do it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by NoahMal
Seems great TBH You should think about doing a science instead of a language IMO.

im so bad at science though and wouldn't want a science job haha
Original post by A-LJLB
Economics is simply more respected. As for differences, compare the specifications and you'll see they're pretty different qualifications

could you just explain the main differences to me please?
Reply 18

Thank you1

If you're wanting to do something mathsy, I'd advise you to do further maths, as it will a) help you get into uni and b) help you at uni. Or, if it's too much maths, do a subject like chemistry or physics, as lots of maths courses prefer students with physics or chemistry.

BUT if you don't want to do these subjects then don't :smile: the most important factor to consider is that you enjoy the A Levels you choose and will work hard in them :smile:

Hope this helps & good luck for the future!

Quick Reply

Latest