The Student Room Group

AQA Biology B2 - Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

I got 2.0 for when the athlete stops running wrong or right?
Reply 341
Original post by zacharyboi
hey guys, for the 6 marker about setting up the apparatus I had an idiot moment and completely disregarded water during my answer, will i get any marks for talking about controlling just carbon dioxide and temperature amounts, using a light meter to measure light intensity and using a ruler to measure growth?

Yes, if you miss things out then you will still get marks for what you did mention.
Reply 342
Original post by Chiddy16
I got 2.0 for when the athlete stops running wrong or right?

I believe he stopped running at 2.0 minutes however the question was asking for how long was he running for which was 1.5 minutes.
i also wrote about iodine solution for starch, can I not get the marks? I thought it detected whether photosynthesis has occurred
Original post by Naco88
As long as you mentioned how you used the equipment and moving them lamp you should do fine! Not mentioning measuring how much oxygen was produced will only loose you 1 mark or maybe even none if you talked a lot about other things.

I hope so, I also didn't specifically say that the 'variable I will measure is ' 'the variable I will control is' .etc I just said 'I will keep this the same' or 'I will measure this' so is that ok
Original post by z1820
I did the same!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i did the same too....
Reply 346
Original post by DrDunphy
I hope so, I also didn't specifically say that the 'variable I will measure is ' 'the variable I will control is' .etc I just said 'I will keep this the same' or 'I will measure this' so is that ok

Oh yeah that will be fine :smile:
Original post by Naco88
↑↑↑ In the poll above, an answer like '> 30%' would mean between '30%' and '40%' ↑↑↑

I am not sure if the following answer was on the polydactyly question but here are our redicted answers:
Parents genotype: Genotype: mother: Bb father :Bb
Parents phenotype: Both have brown hair
Gametes: Mother: XY Father: XX
Offspring genotype: Brother: bb Sister: Bb
Offspring phenotype: Brother - red hair sister - brown hair

For the Gametes section I'm not sure this answer is correct - I think the question was asking what was passed on (in the gametes) from the Mother and Father, not simply asking you to recall the sex chromosomes.
Original post by Adamtoo
Was there a question after the speciation one (the 5 marker)? I think I missed it -_-

yeah lol but it was like 1 mark
Original post by blueribbons99
Could you please lay it out how it should have been?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright,
(5 Marks)
PARENTS
Phenotype: Brown hair Brown Hair
Genotype: Bb Bb
B b B b

Gametes: BB Bb Bb bb

1 in 4 chance of red hair as both alleles have to be recessive for a homozygous allele
Original post by TruthfulHoax
For the Gametes section I'm not sure this answer is correct - I think the question was asking what was passed on (in the gametes) from the Mother and Father, not simply asking you to recall the sex chromosomes.

I agree
For the 6 marker I wrote about iodine solution to detect whether photosynthesis occurred, will I not get the marks? I did a method but using that rather than a beaker and I did the control variables like temperature and CO2 but my method was testing the plant with iodine solution at the different light intensities
Original post by YAY GCSE
Also since the glandular tissue was 3 marks and asked specifically about the stomach I think the marks will be: glandular tissue secretes hormones and enzymes (1st mark). These include protease which break down proteins (2nd mark) into amino acids (3rd mark). I only think this because it was specific to the stomach and protease is the only enzyme in the stomach?

I wrote that it secretes hormones and enzymes such as digestive juices to help digestion. Also it produces the protease enzyme then I wrote how it breaks down proteins into fatty acids and glycerol (I don't know why). How many marks? Thanks
Original post by 11masanda002
for the organ question- the answer was the reproductive organs, would is count if i said womb?

no because it was the production of sperm which comes from the testes
Original post by afghan-superman
Alright,
(5 Marks)
PARENTS
Phenotype: Brown hair Brown Hair
Genotype: Bb Bb
B b B b

Gametes: BB Bb Bb bb

1 in 4 chance of red hair as both alleles have to be recessive for a homozygous allele

Thanks, what about the genotype and phenotype of the offspirng and how many marks would this part get you???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blueribbons99
Thanks, what about the genotype and phenotype of the offspirng and how many marks would this part get you???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Phenotype: Brown Brown Brown Red
Genotype: BB Bb Bb bb

This will get you around 2 marks
Original post by Naco88
↑↑↑ In the poll above, an answer like '> 30%' would mean between '30%' and '40%' ↑↑↑

Remember a question? Post your answers below.
Follow me and I will try and post the answers for the Chemistry and Physics exams on Wednesday and Friday.
I have received a ton of answers on Twitter (@NacoRBLX) and have added a lot more to this! Thanks to everyone who has and still is sending me answers! We have made a really good community on this post today and look out for the chemistry and physics threads on Wednesday and Friday! - Naco88
........................................................................................................................................................................
This mark scheme is not official and was made purely from what we saw in the exam.

AQA B2 Higher - Unofficial Mark Scheme (Updated Regularly) (Should have the last few questions of foundation)

1. Athlete Question - UPDATED
a)
i) Anaerobic means respiration without oxygen
ii) The athlete was running for 1.5 minutes.
b) How do you know it was anaerobic respiration?
The athlete produced lactic acid
c) How does the flow of the blood help the athlete's muscles?
Removes lactic acid, build up. Causes less fatigue. Supplies oxygen.
2. Pond Weed Question

Put the pond weed in the beaker,

Fill the beaker with water.

Move the light close to the pond weed,

Count bubbles in one minute, / Measure oxygen produced

Note down your results,

Repeat experiment but move the light closer/further away from the pond weed each time.

To make it a fair test, use same amount of water, use same length/volume of pond weed, time it for the same length.

Question 2 notes: The answer could be any experiment to test how the amount of light intensity affects photosynthesis. The question stated that you did not have to write about the equipment pictured and it was just an example.
(6 marks)
3. Enzymes question
Circle Cytoplasm. (1 mark)
What is an enzyme? (2 marks)
An enzyme is a substance produced by a living organism which acts as a catalyst to bring about a specific biochemical reaction.

Muscular tissue contracts and churns food in the stomach

Epithelial tissue covers the stomach

Glandular tissue secretes hormones and enzymes

Rest of question is incomplete
4. Plantains in the field
To improve their investigation: Use random sampling, take more samples.
With the mean average question, people seemed to be getting either 10,100 or 160,000. Different answers I know but we are not sure which is right.

5. Polydactyly Question - UPDATED
Stem cells are undifferentiated stem cells that can potentially become any cell.
This question had a lot of parts to do with alleles but it was so long no one can really remember it.

I am not sure if the following answer was on the polydactyly question but here are our redicted answers:
Parents genotype: Genotype: mother: Bb father :Bb
Parents phenotype: Both have brown hair
Gametes: Mother: XY Father: XX
Offspring genotype: Brother: bb Sister: Bb
Offspring phenotype: Brother - red hair sister - brown hair

How do you know the man is heterogeneous?
He has B & b alleles.
6. Removing bacteria from milk with catalase.

Advantages: Catalysts can be reused

Disadvantages: Enzymes can denature, Hydrogen Peroxide doesn't kill all the bacteria, It could mix with/stay in the milk which could be harmful to humans.

These weren't the only ones but they're the ones I have seen posted the most.

7. Meiosis & Mitosis
The sperm cells were produced in the testes by Meiosis. The embryo divided by Mitosis.
For the question about the size of each cell:

8. Foxes
How can scientists prove the foxes originated from the same species?
The scientists could breed 2 of the foxes and see if they produce fertile offspring. (Offspring which can reproduce)
How are the foxes different species?
Foxes, Geographical isolation. Adapted differently. Mutation, So unable to breed. Different species.
Why were the foxes on the 3 islands varied but still the same species?
The islands have similar conditions so the two species adapted similarly and were so similar they could still interbreed so were still of the same species.
I am not sure what question these answers were for)
Know more answers? Please message me on twitter @NacoRBLX, thanks!

Note: The questions may not be in the right order.

This is a mix of my answers and those of the community but they are not guaranteed to be correct.

........................................................................................................................................................................
Grade Boundary Predictions

These are completely my predictions, we have decided that it was a fairly
easy paper so our boundaries are fairly high.

A* - 46 marks

A - 37 marks

B - 31 marks

C - 24 marks

Thanks for using my mark scheme : )

Hello could you please add the amount of marks each question awarded
Reply 357
Guys if the question was 'what is meant by anaerobic respiration' and i only put "without oxygen" do you think i could get away with it?
Parents Phenotype =
Brown hair : Red hair
Parents genotype =
Bb : Bb
Gametes genotype =
B - b : B - b
Offspring genotypes =
BB Bb Bb bb
(1 in 4 chance / 3:1 ratio)
Offspring genotypes =
Brown hair : Brown hair : Brown hair : red hair
Original post by Joetheballer