The Student Room Group

Help my future is at stake!

Ok I NEVER Took work experience.
I'm 16
My CV looks pure ****
I need help. Please give me companies, names of places where i can do work experience. Please I'm gonna break down. :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by PrincessBO$$
I'm 16
My CV looks pure ****
I need help. Please give me companies, names of places where i can do work experience. Please I'm gonna break down. :frown:

Stay calm, there;s nothing to worry about.

What do you have around you; is there anywhere you'd like to work? What career ideas do you have? And what's wrong with your CV?

H
Reply 2
charities
Original post by 09HB
Stay calm, there;s nothing to worry about.

What do you have around you; is there anywhere you'd like to work? What career ideas do you have? And what's wrong with your CV?

H

Ok. My cv literally has NOTHING. Only me name,hobby and the subjects I took. I can't even put my qualifications because I'm getting my gcse results in august.
I need to do work experience. I'm 16 AND NEVER done any work experience!
I'm interested in:
Medicine
Biomedicine
Biogenetic engineering

Pls help me :afraid:
Original post by shawtyb
charities

Which charity?
Name?
Location?
How to contact them?
Do I need a signature from school OR school approval?
Please help me!
Reply 5
Which charity?
Name?
Location?
How to contact them?
Please help me!

british heart (most will do tbh)
i dont know, look
you ask...
no
Reply 6
Ok. My cv literally has NOTHING. Only me name,hobby and the subjects I took. I can't even put my qualifications because I'm getting my gcse results in august.
I need to do work experience. I'm 16 AND NEVER done any work experience!
I'm interested in:
Medicine
Biomedicine
Biogenetic engineering

Pls help me :afraid:

There's nothing to worry about. When i did work placements in Y10, we didn't need CVs, however for now I would reccommend putting your projected grades on and hoping for the best :tongue:

Interesting and ambitious choices of career, I like them!! Unfortunately, there;s not likely to be a local branch of any of these things (where are you btw, if you don't mind?)

I say find somewhere that you like the look of working, and walk in and ask. What's the worst that could happen?
Reply 7
I'm 16
My CV looks pure ****

You could start by asking around in local shops to see if any of them would be willing to have you - experience working in a shop is bound to be valuable to you at some point in life. Alternatively, you could see if you could start volunteering in a local charity store, as this will also give you shop experience and they may also be able to provide a reference if and when you get a job. There will definitely be people at school you could talk to, or other students in school who have done work experience who could help you out.
Reply 8
Which charity?
Name?
Location?
How to contact them?
Please help me!

You can search for local volunteering opportunities on websites such as https://do-it.org/

As suggested, charities are often helpful in this area; their own websites will tell you how you can apply.

They may ask for references, but you can give them the contact details of a teacher at school who would be able to provide a character description of you. Usually references aren't followed up by this sort of volunteering opportunity though.

Work experience that is often 'coerced' when you are in high school is going to be no more valuable than work experience that you choose to do yourself.

There are loads of guides on how to make a good CV. I cba linking them.
Original post by 09HB
There's nothing to worry about. When i did work placements in Y10, we didn't need CVs, however for now I would reccommend putting your projected grades on and hoping for the best :tongue:

Interesting and ambitious choices of career, I like them!! Unfortunately, there;s not likely to be a local branch of any of these things (where are you btw, if you don't mind?)

I say find somewhere that you like the look of working, and walk in and ask. What's the worst that could happen?

London!
Reply 10
Which charity?
Name?
Location?
How to contact them?
Please help me!

Any charity you like the look of, all shops are looking for volunteers.
Any shop you can find; if you're in east Lincs, I can direct you to a few
Walk in and speak to them, it's always taken well as people want to see you before giving you a job
Shouldn't do

Anything else I can help with?

H
Reply 11
London!

Aah, endless possibilities there. Do what you want to do, worst case, they'll say no. There;s nothing bad that will come out of that other than having to try somewhere else.
Original post by 09HB
Aah, endless possibilities there. Do what you want to do, worst case, they'll say no. There;s nothing bad that will come out of that other than having to try somewhere else.

Thanks love u :colondollar:
You calmed me down!
Reply 13
Thanks love u :colondollar:
You calmed me down!

No worries! I was s***ting myself when I went to ask about my work experience. Turned up and said "can I do it here please", and ended up running 20m long machines :smile:

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

H
Reply 14
I'm 16
My CV looks pure ****

National citizenship service would give you useful experience during the summer

http://www.ncsyes.co.uk

this website might be useful:

https://vinspired.com

All the best
Reply 15
I'm 16
My CV looks pure ****

I found myself in a similar situation XD

What are you looking for?

If you are looking purely to build up experience to help your uni application, I would recommend voluntary work. Charities or, if you are interested in medicine as you say, working at care homes like Fosse House are very good (I'm personally not interested but my brother has several offers for medicine).

If you are just looking for work and money then really, your CV doesn't need to look that good. You are 16 and putting made up things on your CV will only lead to trouble, no one expects a 16 year old to have much experience. Instead sit down and try and work out your availability and when and for how long you would like to work.

Then just walk down your local high street or shopping area and I'm sure plenty of shops will have signs up saying that they're hiring. Just go in and inquire about the work and hand in a CV and hopefully they'll get back to you.

If a shop is hiring for part time work then what they really will want to know from a 16 year old is your flexibility and when you are available to start work.

Hopefully that's helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending