The Student Room Group

Best back office role

Imagine a scenario where you have been rejected from any front office roles and were given a choice of back office roles instead. Which one would you want to choose and why?

I'm sure most people would go into big4'but clearly a lot of people do decide that a back office role is for them when they get rejected from FO roles.
Reply 1
I would rather choose big4 or actuarial firms. Back office doesn't have many opportunities.
Depends on you.

There are roles in regular corporate functions of i-banks that you'll find in almost any corporation, so in that sense, I guess they'd be the 'best' as you can hop around different industries and companies. These would be HR, Marketing, Finance, IT (Tech) etc..

Ops pretty much pigeonholes you to strictly investment banks or other financial services companies in need of trade clearance facilities. Not a lot of wiggle room here at all, unless you get an MBA later down the line. That said, Ops grads still make more than most other grad jobs out there; in London at least.

Compliance, Risk, Control, Corp Treasury, Corp Strat are commonly described as middle office roles; they're, imo, the most interesting of all nonrevenue generating divisions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Sorry OP I didn't read your thread properly so I didn't realise that you strictly meant back office roles at IBs.

In that case, would go for risk since that's the best paying. However, risk is really hard to get into anyway. Even ops is quite hard to get into.
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
Depends on you.

There are roles in regular corporate functions of i-banks that you'll find in almost any corporation, so in that sense, I guess they'd be the 'best' as you can hop around different industries and companies. These would be HR, Marketing, Finance, IT (Tech) etc..

Ops pretty much pigeonholes you to strictly investment banks or other financial services companies in need of trade clearance facilities. Not a lot of wiggle room here at all, unless you get an MBA later down the line. That said, Ops grads still make more than most other grad jobs out there; in London at least.

Compliance, Risk, Control, Corp Treasury, Corp Strat are commonly described as middle office roles; they're, imo, the most interesting of all nonrevenue generating divisions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ops seems kinda boring as well. Clearing trades all day instead of making them must be depressing af
Original post by Trapz99
Ops seems kinda boring as well. Clearing trades all day instead of making them must be depressing af

Meh, it pays well and it's not that strenuous; that's what people care about in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Meh, it pays well and it's not that strenuous; that's what people care about in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I guess, but clearing trades just seems like a waste of a life imo compared to something else like risk management or accounting at a big4.

However, I agree that it still pays pretty well. A few people at my school have parents working in operations and back office roles and they're pretty rich and all have big houses and go on nice holidays.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
Yeah I guess, but clearing trades just seems like a waste of a life imo compared to something else like risk management or accounting at a big4.

However, I agree that it still pays pretty well. A few people at my school have parents working in operations and back office roles and they're pretty rich and all have big houses and go on nice holidays.

Lol, you could say them same thing about any desk job :tongue: I personally agree, and certainly, I wouldn't want to do Ops at any costs whatsoever but the people who do go into it have their own reasons.

And yes, senior pay in Ops is quite decent. I've heard of MDs pulling $300-400k/year (~£210-280k).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Lol, you could say them same thing about any desk job :tongue: I personally agree, and certainly, I wouldn't want to do Ops at any costs whatsoever but the people who do go into it have their own reasons.

And yes, senior pay in Ops is quite decent. I've heard of MDs pulling $300-400k/year (~£210-280k).

Posted from TSR Mobile

'Quite decent' lol £200000 is amazing.
Original post by Trapz99
'Quite decent' lol £200000 is amazing.

In comparison to FO, it's decent aha. In comparison to almost everything else, it's quite solid.
would do compliance, something like anti-money laundering or a trade surveillance type role. MDs at a 3rd tier were on low 6 figures.
Internal Finance for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
In comparison to FO, it's decent aha. In comparison to almost everything else, it's quite solid.

Dude you are joking, right? £200000 is mind blowing as a salary, even after tax is deducted. Only a tiny amount of people earn more. It's not 'quite solid' it is fantastic
Original post by Ladbants
Dude you are joking, right? £200000 is mind blowing as a salary, even after tax is deducted. Only a tiny amount of people earn more. It's not 'quite solid' it is fantastic

yep it's pretty mind blowing afaic, anything above £150000 is "WOW"
Original post by Ladbants

Depends on your perspective I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck getting a flat in London on that salary...
Risk has the best pay but finance will allow you to gain the ACA qualification which could help. However, I'd go for big4 over finance at an IB any day.
Original post by DetectivePeralta

So do a lot of people's parents, because houses used to be a lot cheaper before the mid 2000s boom! Realistically if you get a role in Ops you'll be making about £60k in London after a decade provided you progress at a reasonable rate. If you have a spouse earning the same and no intention to start a family, then great. Otherwise try buying property on that salary in London - fat chance. You'll be stuck between choosing a long commute or working in a regional role that tops out at about £45k until you can progress to management level, which takes longer to achieve in the back office (i.e. long after you've started a family and need a decent sized home rather than before).

The only way I got out of this mess was to get into a middle office role that paid £70k regionally. It was not easy and it's still not a salary that goes very far in modern Britain (although I acknowledge that it goes further than 90% of other people's salaries, the UK is in a mess).
This thread is 3 yrs old

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending