The Student Room Group

Handwriting in GCSE

If there's anything I'm worried about in my GCSE's, it's the quality of my handwriting - small, compact, quite messy. I've also been told that they scan the papers, making it even harder to read.

Will examiners take just that small amount of extra time to fully decipher what's being said or will they merely skip out on words - I know that examiners are paid per exam script - encouraging a certain "get this over with quickly" attitude.

Would love to have some reassurance on the topic.
If they cannot understand what you wrote, it goes to the team leader and if they cannot understand what you are saying, it goes to the Chief Examiner. Out of the three, one of them would probably know what you wrote
They'll have been marking work for years, they're pretty good at reading handwriting as they've had to decipher so much, so don't worry they'll be able to read it! And if not, then as has already been said, they'll send it off to someone else to mark it. I was worried as well about my writing, I start the exams not very neat but legible, but by the end I can barely read my own writing. But I've been told it's fine as they're very experienced so don't worry about it
Ah, I didn't realise they had such an intricate system for such occurrences. Thanks for reassurance.
Thing is they did ask me, I just declined - though I wasn't forced like one of my mates.
Reply 5
dont worry, examiners are masters at reading handwriting youll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
my handwriting is pretty bad as well, ridiculously small and messy. in a quite few situations during my exam the pen ink would go runny yikes. oh well, im sure there would be no worries though, examiners are very experienced when it comes to stuff like this!
They use a high powerful OCR reader.
Basically, the OCR (Optical Character Reader) shall decipher your text and convert it into Legible letters.
Mailing services have the same Hardware that do the same thing, however if your handwriting is too atrocious, then they just view the original copy.

Quick Reply

Latest